Wifes leaving their husbands

by Lazarus 34 Replies latest jw friends

• talesin
    talesin

what do you think are reasons for this

As with any major shift, there will be many contributing factors.

Speaking from a strictly secular viewpoint:

The women's movement has something to do with it. I won't speculate on the degree of influence; rather, suggest that it plays a role.

two concrete examples:

Funding is available for women who want to return to school. With education (GED, community college, university, whatever profession you WANT, even such traditional male careers such as firefighting and forestry), women can earn a 'living wage' for the first time in history.

Micro loans have made it possible for thousands (if not millions, but I don't want to exaggerate and nullify my point) of women all over the world to achieve financial independence for themselves, families, and in some cases, whole villages through entrepreneurship.

Financial independence is freedom.

Surely, with the information highway at their fingertips, and more worldly TM association through workplace experiences (be they corporate or blue collar), JW women are waking up to the reality that women can make it on their own .

One factor, just sayin'

t

• scotsman
  • Morbidzbaby
    Morbidzbaby

I'm one of those women... though, in my case, I wasn't exactly leaving him willingly.

As Lunatic Faith mentioned, a lot of "sisters" have met men online and decided they were better off with them than with their staunchly JW husbands who browbeat them with the bible and insist that they never do enough, are never good enough, are not enough, period. We are lonely, depressed, have low self-esteem, and on top of it all, we are emotionally, mentally, and verbally beaten and our hearts are left to rot. When someone comes along and shows attention, understanding, lets us speak our minds and feelings without judgment, it's not hard to see where an attachment might be formed. Is it right? No, and I'm not making excuses for my behavior or anyone else's. But a flower withers and dies when it's crowded out and subjected to long periods of drought...only sunlight and water can revive it before it's too late. And sometimes a person comes along who is sun and water to a withered and parched soul.

My ex forgave me for my indescretions (they were not consumated, there was no physical adultery)...but then when he found out I didn't want to be a JW anymore and I was miserable, he kicked my ass out so fast it almost made my head spin. We separated, he gave me permission, no ENCOURAGED ME, to have a boyfriend knowing full well that I might go further than the JW's deem I should. But he gave me his blessing to date other men. For that, he should have been DF'ed...but when I did do a little more than just kissing, he divorced me and got remarried right away. Basically, he made me a subject for adultery by his lack of love and affection during our marriage, and then again when he gave me permission to date others...yet, the elders smiled on his new marriage and even offered up the Kingdom Hall for them to be married as soon as the ink dried on the divorce decree. To date, he has neither been DF'ed nor reproved and is in good standing in the congregation.

• Sam Whiskey
    Sam Whiskey

Morbid,

Sounds pretty one sided. Not saying you didn't have a bad experience. However....it appears that no one put a gun to your head to force you to marry your JW husband.

Your story is too lopsided, all in favor of you, as if you were an angel in the relationship and he was the devil. Why did you marry him if he was so terrible? Wonder what his side of the story would sound like?

There are always three sides of a story. Your side. His side. And the truth.....

Kind of sounds like an inflated boo hoo poor me story... I'm probably wrong, but that's how it comes across.

"We separated, he gave me permission, no ENCOURAGED ME, to have a boyfriend knowing full well that I might go further than the JW's deem I should. But he gave me his blessing to date other men. For that, he should have been DF'ed...but when I did do a little more than just kissing, he divorced me and got remarried right away." - Sounds like you were more interested in revenge than moving on with your life.

• Morbidzbaby
    Morbidzbaby

SW~ He wasn't terrible when we were dating. He acted like he couldn't live without me. Said he loved me so much. Hell, he wasn't even terrible when we first got married. He wasn't great, but he wasn't horrible, either. No one put a gun to my head and forced me, no... I made a decision to marry him thinking it was the right thing to do. I had a nice worldly guy that was interested in me that I got along with better and had more in common with, but at the time I just wanted to please my mother and so I did what was expected of me. We thought that as long as we had "Jehovah" in our marriage, we'd be fine. I didn't wholeheartedly believe in the JW's, in fact I questioned a lot of times whether god really existed, but there were so many examples of married couples being able to get past their differences because they were both JW's and applied bible principles... so what could go wrong? We were both JW's, we were both very young, and both stupid. I have my flaws just like everyone else. I can be a bitch just like every other woman on the planet and I wasn't the perfect model JW wife, but I wasn't horrible, either. However, a lot of my issues stemmed from his lack of interest in me as his wife, his lack of affection, lack of attention, controlling behavior, etc. That, combined with a meddling bitch of a mother-in-law, and it was a recipe for disaster. I'm pretty headstrong and I don't take kindly to my husband bossing me around and telling me what I can and can't do, watch, read, listen to, and who I can and can't associate with. Add to that his denying me physical intimacy as well as my other physical needs, well... I started to hate him. And it showed. And the more it showed, the further the divide between us became until we were literally living separate lives in the same household. Strangers who occasionally screwed. Most people who know us both think that he was screwing around behind my back long before I did anything... They think that he was keeping in touch with his current wife throughout the last few years of our marriage. I don't know if it's true and I quit caring soon after he told me he was married again. As for revenge? Hardly. He isn't worth revenge. I actually loved the man I was with... It had nothing to do with revenge, it was that I loved him and wanted to be with him and didn't much give a shit about my ex anymore. A huge part of me wanted ties to him severed. I'm not proud of the way it all went down. If I could go back and do it all again, I would have just left him before anything started with someone else...I did apologize to him, many times. I really was sincerely sorry that it happened...in truth, I wasn't expecting it. I never thought I would cheat on my husband...I looked down on women who did. And then I became one of them. What most people don't get is that my ex wasn't hurt over my infidelity. He looked me right in the eye and said he wasn't hurt and didn't care. He was looking for a reason to divorce me. He wanted to be free of our marriage as much as I did. I really don't cry "woe is me" about this stuff. The OP asked why this happens, and I just gave my experience. And while people may not want to believe he was so bad, I could tell you things that would solidify the fact. Most people wonder how I lasted so long being married to him without killing myself...but the truth is, I almost did. It's taken me a few years to even trust anyone enough to really date seriously...things didn't work out with the guy I had an affair with (surprise surprise) so I've just been single up until late last year, just going on casual dates here and there. I had a lot of inner ork to do, and eventually I was able to forgive my ex for the things that happened in the past, and finally was able to forgive myself for the shitstorm I caused.

• Scully
    Scully

Many more 30-something women packing their bags and moving on to something "better" than there are men doing so.

I agree. The WTS offers males position and power within a congregation, even if it is only of the big-fish-in-the-small-pond variety. What do they offer women? Absolutely nothing. Intelligent, well-read women, some of whom are accustomed to leadership roles in their jobs, and who are accustomed to being treated respectfully as EQUALS, must not find it easy to tolerate the constant pressure within the JWs to dumb down and be Submissive™ and In Subjection™ so that the men can shine. That kind of bull$h!t used to drive me up the wall when I was a JW in good standing, but even moreso when I made up my mind to go to college. In my line of work, I have a lot of responsibility and accountability and I think I handle it very well. What is lacking within the WTS hierarchy is accountability - too many window cleaners and janitors with made-up responsibilities and the illusion of power, who have little-to-no accountability.

• Found Sheep
    Found Sheep

Well I left my JW husband. I hated EVERYTHING about my life so decided one by one to change everything! I do think the view of women in the marriage has a lot to do with it. My NON JW husband now treats me like we are a pair not that I am his subordinate.

A year later another sister left her husband.

this is a congregation of about 20 so I'd say it says a lot

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

Just one in our area

• Morbidzbaby
    Morbidzbaby
    I do think the view of women in the marriage has a lot to do with it. My NON JW husband now treats me like we are a pair not that I am his subordinate.

I agree... I've gone out with a few non-JW guys since my ex and none of them ever treated me like I was below them just because I was female. My opinion mattered, which was a new concept for me. I do see this quite often with JW marriages...the wife is in subjection, therefore her opinion means nothing and she has to check her every move with her husband beforehand.

Oh, as for how many instances I know of with this happening... besides myself I know of at least 4 others...

• chickpea
    chickpea

i think too, that some men are entirely unsuited
    to be "heads" and women are fed up with the
    situations that are inevitable when the rudder
    is either unmanned ( no pun intended) or poorly
    managed.... i spent nearly 2 decades letting my
    husband screw up and finally stepped in and
    said "i am not asking anymore, i am making the
    decisions and asking your input but not your
    permission"... he was SOOOO relieved!!!!

some guys dont get it that they suck at "headship"
    and their women walk to find a better situation

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit