Would Y'all Like to See Something Awesome From the Book of Jasher?

by snowbird 53 Replies latest watchtower bible

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

The problem is that no one knows WHICH book of Jasher is being spoken off in the OT.

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW

Syl - Do you know who wrote the book of Jasher, or is it named after it's author. If so who the is this Jasher character?

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I never heard of the Book of Jasher so I looked at the wikipedia article. Whatever were its contents, no one knows. Present copies are forgeries. The article said there are ten books of writings referenced in the OT and so far not one copy exists.

It would be fascinating if this book were the true Book of Jasher. With excavations ongoing, something could surface that might cause everything to be reinterpreted.

With the discovery of the trove at Nag Hammadi, early Christianity became much more clear.

It is like a Harrison Ford movie, Lost Raiders...

• pirata
    pirata

snowbird, have you read the book?:

Ancient Judaism and Christian Origins: Diversity, Continuity, and Transformation

Leolaia recommended to me and I'm finding it quite fascinating so far (just started reading it). The first part of the book discusses the ancient texts in and outside the official canon, how they were used in Judaism, and how they affected Christianity.

Thanks for sharing!

• lovelylil
    lovelylil

There were hundreds of other writings not included in our official canon of scripture. A lot of them were lost due to antiquity. Be careful about books claiming to be lost books, they are usually forged. I do have the book of Jashar and I find it very interesting but do not believe it was an inspired writing.

• pirata
    pirata
    Be careful about books claiming to be lost books, they are usually forged. I do have the book of Jashar and I find it very interesting but do not believe it was an inspired writing.

As explained in the book I mentioned above, it was quite common for Jews of the time to rewrite earlier stories, often applying them or adapting them to their own message and views. Josephus did this in his works, preserving the Orthodox history as it was known of at that time. One writer even wrote that Jacob killed Esau (he didn't like Edomites very much).

• snowbird
    snowbird

Thanks for the replies

PSac, I'm just enjoying my freedom to explore now..

Shirley, if you go to the link, it will explain why it's called the Book of Jasher.

Pirata, thank you for the book recommendation; I haven't read it.

Band on the Run, I'm convinced there are answers out there somewhere.

Lilly, inspired or not, I'm just amazed at the things I'm discovering.

Syl

• Satanus
    Satanus

'he chose Naamah the daughter of Enoch, and she was five hundred and eighty years old.

16 And Noah was four hundred and ninety-eight years old, when he took Naamah for a wife'

Noah liked his older women, didn't he? Bet she could cook, though, being vegietarian and all.

S

• snowbird
    snowbird

Not sure about the vegetarian part, Satanus.

Listen:

The Book of Jasher, Chapter 1.

12 And the Lord God drove them that day from the garden of Eden, to till the ground from which they were taken, and they went and dwelt at the east of the garden of Eden; and Adam knew his wife Eve and she bore two sons and three daughters.

13 And she called the name of the first born Cain, saying, I have obtained a man from the Lord, and the name of the other she called Abel, for she said, In vanity we came into the earth, and in vanity we shall be taken from it.

14 And the boys grew up and their father gave them a possession in the land; and Cain was a tiller of the ground, and Abel a keeper of sheep.

15 And it was at the expiration of a few years, that they brought an approximating offering to the Lord, and Cain brought from the fruit of the ground, and Abel brought from the firstlings of his flock from the fat thereof, and God turned and inclined to Abel and his offering, and a fire came down from the Lord from heaven and consumed it.

16 And unto Cain and his offering the Lord did not turn, and he did not incline to it, for he had brought from the inferior fruit of the ground before the Lord, and Cain was jealous against his brother Abel on account of this, and he sought a pretext to slay him.

17 And in some time after, Cain and Abel his brother, went one day into the field to do their work; and they were both in the field, Cain tilling and ploughing his ground, and Abel feeding his flock; and the flock passed that part which Cain had ploughed in the ground, and it sorely grieved Cain on this account.

18 And Cain approached his brother Abel in anger, and he said unto him, What is there between me and thee, that thou comest to dwell and bring thy flock to feed in my land?

19 And Abel answered his brother Cain and said unto him, What is there between me and thee, that thou shalt eat the flesh of my flock and clothe thyself with their wool?

20 And now therefore, put off the wool of my sheep with which thou hast clothed thyself, and recompense me for their fruit and flesh which thou hast eaten, and when thou shalt have done this, I will then go from thy land as thou hast said?

Puts an entirely different spin on things, doesn't it?

Tee hee hee.

Syl

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

Puts an entirely different spin on things, doesn't it?

It does. Where the heck did they learn blacksmithing skills and mine the metal for a till and learn animal husbandry?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit