Intro to my book "A Soul Shackled"

by AK - Jeff 24 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

My earliest memories of the religion begin somewhere around the age of 4. I was at least three, because I recall leading the ‘pack’ around the yard on an ‘explore’ of some sort. It was a hot summer day. Our small town was always quiet, and we saw few visitors at our home, for that matter even on our block, when I happened upon a large black four door sedan parked in the edge of our lawn – as the streets in our town had no curbs and were narrow. Sitting behind the wheel was a man, whom I would later come to know as Raymond, a kindly gentleman, whom I recall standing in our kitchen some months later, dancing a ‘soft-shoe’.

I turned to my siblings and recall saying something about the car not belonging there. When I turned to the door, my mother was just saying her goodbye’s to Velma at the door. Velma was holding a black book and a large purse [which later I came to understand was a ‘book-bag’]. She and mom were discussing matters of which I have no recollection. I do recall though, that as us three children hovered about her skirt, and as she prepared to leave, a particularly pleasant smelling perfume. This was a nice lady, was my first impression. She further impressed all of us with pulling some chewing gum from her bag and giving us each a piece. She had left mom some literature of some sort, retrieved from the same bag, and clearly with some questions. This woman would become a major influence in my life, and the religion she was peddling would become my own.

Now, some fifty years later, those memories remain among a small cluster of my earliest. And I suppose in some respects, among my most bitter-sweet. It took me most of those 50 years to understand that this day represented the beginning of a very strong mind-capture that takes many a lifetime to break, if they ever do.

I write this book, hopefully after putting the majority of my anger behind me. My efforts are focused on how I was robbed by this religion, and mentally imprisoned by them. I spent decades putting life on hold, waiting for an elusive reward promised I thought, by God, reiterated a thousand times by the very literature my mother held in her hands. My mother died believing it – I will not! But I now understand that reward will never come – it was just delusion. Delusion robs us of reality, and of irreplaceable time taken in its pursuit.

It would be nice if one or two people read these words and find some value in my experience. It would be grand if one or two use them as a springboard to discovery that will free them too from what I view as religious irons. But it is also written because I can! I have discovered freedom to have my own opinions and express them.

These experiences, and my discovery of the fraud that captured my life, may also find an audience among others held in captivity by religious delusion of slightly different varieties. These are the memories of, and the tale of escape, of a Soul Shackled.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I am certain I would be among the "one or two people [who] read these words and find some value in [your] experience."

I am sure I read most (or all) of your early experiences that you have previously released through JWN in some way.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Looking forward to reading it Jeff, but are you sure about the title?

I though you didn't believe in the "soul" anymore ?

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

I am just launching into this catharsis. In some ways I have resisted it, not anxious to open the wounds that are healing pretty well these days.

Still, there is that ache that keeps urging me to 'write'.

This may take a while - perhaps it will never be complete. But if restoration is the end-game of the effort, then it will be worth the energy invested.

Jeff

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

Oh no, PS. I do. You and I are souls - living creatures, like the cat that sits at my feet. But no spiritual soul exists - nothing after our souls die. In this respect, perhaps that WT was correct in one thing.

Jeff

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

AH, I see, thanks for the clarification Jeff :)

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee

Nice beginning, Jeff. I like the way you invoke not only 'sight' but smell (perfume), taste (gum) and the air (hot summer) and sound (quiet neighborhood) all in the first two short paragraphs. It establishes a sense of time and place viscerally, not just visually.

At some point in your project, you're going to need a good editor. Not all writers can edit and not all editors can write.

For example, you've established that you are recalling a memory. You want to draw us into that memory so we 'experience' it as you did. You're painting a picture (quite well, too) and you want us to put ourselves in that picture, in your shoes. Now take out your next three uses of the word or forms of the word "recall." We want to trust the accuracy of your memory - you don't need to remind us that it could be faulty. That is a given, but just tell the story as if it were happening right now.

• Violia
    Violia

I enjoyed that. Looking forward to the book.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I disagree with BizzyBee. It is valid not to spend your entire writing discussing what you "recall" or do not "recall" but you are establishing your setting and making a point about the very beginning of your JW experience as a 4-year-old. "Recall" was used as a contrast here- you don't recall the words but the memory of the experience is present with you.

In agreement with BB, as the story goes on, you don't need to remind us that your memories could possibly be faulty. I shared my story with my father and had to tell him right off the bat that I wasn't looking for history corrections from him, but that the story was my point-of-view and my memory of the events.

• unshackled
    unshackled

This may take a while - perhaps it will never be complete. But if restoration is the end-game of the effort, then it will be worth the energy invested.

Great start, Jeff. I too wanted very much to write a book of my JW experiences. That was early in my own discovery of the true nature of the JWs, and was perhaps more idealistic. THat's faded some unfortunately, so I admire your strong desire to write and the catharsis it brings. Maybe I'm just lazy....

As for the title - A Soul Shackled - I like it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit