Question about food (OUTLAW, et al.)

by compound complex 42 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• compound complex
    compound complex

I appreciate your further replies, Doofdaddy, Broken Promises and Talesin.

Sweet dreams all ...

(Sorry you got so ill, DD. Feel better soon! Noosa was fabuloso. Grew up on the Pacific (USA) but never knew that the ocean could be so warm and the night sky so Tropic of Capricorn.)

Shall we meet up for a bite tomorrow?

CoCo dont l'appetit est toujours grand.

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises

CC,

I'd be honored to make your acquaintance over a coffee or something more substantial. I'd love to meet Talesin too.

Sweet dreams to you too....

(my bedtime isn't for another 8 hours)

• compound complex
    compound complex

BP:

Table for three? There's always room for more, of course!

CC

• WhatWasIThinking
    WhatWasIThinking

Never heard that about rice. I never put rice I cook in the fridge, it stays in the rice pot. I've never gotten sick from it, but it's something I grew up with so that may have something to do with it. I've eaten street food in Mexico, Central America, and Asia and never gotten sick. I do make sure anything I eat in a foreign land is thoroughly cooked and I never drink the water and I avoid ice cubes. I've never gotten sick from food while traveling but just about anytime I eat fast food I feel like crap.

I don't like leftovers so I try to cook simple meals in a small enough portion to just feed myself one meal.

• doofdaddy
    doofdaddy

Just did a quick google search...

Lastly, the most important point. Never keep cooked rice at room temperature. Bacteria develop quickly at room temperature and spoiled rice is poisonous. Alway keep leftover rice heated (min 140 F) or refrigerated. If rice turn sour, just throw away. Reheating spoiled rice do not eliminate poison.

• charlie brown jr.
    charlie brown jr.

Gee we cook white rice everyday and my MIL never puts it in the fridge and I munch on it almost everyday the next day....

Never got sick...

If I cook on the grill chicken Steak ect...

If we don't finish it right away I don't put it in the Fridge I cover it leave it on the counter and munch later on.....

Glad to see I'm not the only one WhatwasIthinking

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee

I've left brown rice out overnight many, many times. No problems.

I recall in grade school my mother making my lunch every morning around 7 am, putting it in my lunchbox, which I then took to school and put in the "cloak" room. For me it was peanut butter and honey, or tuna w/ mayo or avocado w/ mayo. Some kids brought egg salad or bologna or meatloaf sandwiches, or all kinds of leftovers. We didn't eat lunch til noon. Our food sat, through warm or cold weather, for around 5 hours before we ate it. Imagine!

Before refrigeration (and expiration dates), I don't believe people threw out prepared food all the time. It was common practice to leave food from one meal, covered, to become part of the next meal. So bacon or sausage, biscuits, gravy from breakfast would be put on the table at lunchtime, or carried in a lunch bucket to school.

• nancy drew
    nancy drew

You guys are freakin me out. i worry about spoiled food and I never heard about the rice issue.

Anthony bourdain and Andrew Zimmer eat some really scary stuff.

• Amelia Ashton
    Amelia Ashton

My company used to supply British food to the tourists and expats in Spain.

Prior to doing the compulsory food handling and hygiene course I thought my food handling knowledge was certainly adequate and my food hygiene definitely sufficient enough to never having given myself, my children or any of my guests food poisoning, ever.

After doing the course I discovered how many different types of bacterium there are just waiting around to make us very ill or even kill us dead. Some of which live in our hair and on our skin with no ill effects whatsoever...... most of the time.

Now back in UK I find I am completely paranoid about food handling, hygiene, storage and preparation to the extent I find it very difficult to eat outside my own home and it requires a special effort on my part to eat something I have not prepared and served myself.

In Spain even taps (water faucets) have to be turned on via a foot pedal in cafes, bars and restaurants because they might have these "killer germs" on them. These taps are not used in most eating establishments over here and certainly not in most people's homes which means any germs on your hands prior to washing for the prerequisite time of "singing Happy Birthday to yourself 3 times" will be immediately transferred back onto your hands when you turn the tap off!

I wish I didn't know any of this.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Good morning CoCo..

1) Doesn't the putting of hot food in the fridge cause the interior temperature to spike, causing the items already inside to get warm?

2) Picnics, where food is out on tables: sure, the hot dishes generally get onto the picnickers' plates pretty quick, but there're always leftovers.
    I think OUTLAW said bacteria numbers double every 20 minutes. So, is there a higher risk of getting food poisoning at this kind of noshing venue?

1)..It would have to be a pretty big quantity of Hot food to warm up a fridge..

In that case you Want to put the container the Hot food was in..In an "Ice Bath"..

Fill your Kitchen sink with ice and put the hot container of food in it..That will Bring the temperature of the food down rapidly..

Cold absorbs Heat..

Then put the food into managable storage containers and put it in the freezer..

2)..When you done eating at your Picnic..Put the left overs in the Cooler,you brought the food in..

BP..

I`m "Government Certified" in Food Safety..

If you have a Problem with my Posts on Proper Handling of Food..

Prove my posts Wrong..

Simply saying their Wrong,doesn`t make them Wrong..

It means You like to Hear Yourself Talk..

........................ ...OUTLAW

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit