Question about food (OUTLAW, et al.)

by compound complex 42 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• compound complex
    compound complex

Greetings, food lovers and hopeful avoiders of food poisoning:

There was a recent thread on the importance of proper heating/cooling of food. OUTLAW, a chef, gave good and helpful warnings. My aunt, whose papa owned a ristorante, told me that he made sure to refrigerate the cooked tomato sauce immediately, not even allowing it to cool down first. So, my questions:

1) Doesn't the putting of hot food in the fridge cause the interior temperature to spike, causing the items already inside to get warm?

2) Picnics, where food is out on tables: sure, the hot dishes generally get onto the picnickers' plates pretty quick, but there're always leftovers. I think OUTLAW said bacteria numbers double every 20 minutes. So, is there a higher risk of getting food poisoning at this kind of noshing venue?

3) Any other examples would be appreciated!

Thanks,

CoCo Cotto

• talesin
    talesin

I would never eat picnic leftovers,,,

DANGER Will Robinson DANGER

well, maybe potato chips :D

This may sound obvious, but anything that touches raw flesh (eg, cutting board, knife, countertop), touches nothing else in my kitchen before it's washed in soap and HOT water, including my hands!

t

• doofdaddy
    doofdaddy

I didn't read Outlaws advice, so this may be covered but strangely, rice is supposed to be the most liable to bacteria if left out. It must go straight to the fridge, or be thrown out after cooking.

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises

If you are seriously interested in food safety, I'd get my advice from local authorities, or a website dedicated to the subject, rather than from some anonymous person on an internet discussion board.

Anyone can claim to be "in the know" but are you that willing to subject your health to what some faceless person tells you?

• compound complex
    compound complex

Thank you, Talesin, Charlie Brown, Doofdaddy and Broken Promises for posting your thoughts, admonition, reproof.

CoCo

• talesin
    talesin

Hot weather + potato salad = recipe for disaster

not a chef, just a pizza cook (2009/10), waitress in a private club (many moons ago). And by the way, I throw a pretty darn good pizza pie, if I do say so myself.

as for the negative nelly / spoil sport , I double-dog dare ya to say that to Outlaw's face, BP!

t

• doofdaddy
    doofdaddy

My source of information?

My exwife has a Masters in Business (tourism) and currently lectures at a University. Part of her graduate degree was OH&S(occupational health and safety). She also co owns a coffee/cake shop in Sydney.

• compound complex
    compound complex

Thanks again, Talesin and Doofdaddy.

I am all right with your replies and do appreciate them; corroboration, of course, is simply more mayo in the potato salad ...

Never knew that about rice, DD. I do remember leaving a fresh pot out overnight and having a strange niggling within that perhaps I should toss it.

CoCo

• doofdaddy
    doofdaddy

I guess CC that it is almost all starch, so a perfect breeding ground. Add warm and moist.

• compound complex
    compound complex

Ah ... makes sense, DD!

When I was in your country, I ate fish and chips daily, washed down by a disinfecting brew ... no worries there, eh?

CoCo du Noosaville

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit