Do You Covet the Attributes of Some Posters?

by snowbird 52 Replies latest jw friends

• caliber
    caliber

Covet is NOT a bad word, but as JWs, it was given that connotation, so not a criticism

I believe desire or emulate is a more appropriate word in this case because of the following example..

The difference in desire vs covet..

Say it was lunch time and I see someone with a nice sandwich... and I think to myself "I want one of those" and go buy one...is that coveting ? Or if I see someone with a nice house, and I think "I'd like something like that too." is it considered coveting if you *want* it, but do not take it from anyone else ?
    The two are not the same.
    The difference is, you desire a sandwich LIKE the one you see. That is normal.
    But, if you wanted THAT sandwich and another like it wouldn't satisfy your desire, that is coveting.

Coveting takes desire to the level of greed, extortion, obsessing

I believe however that the sense of of word used here by snowbird was to emphasize a strong positive desire to be like

• talesin
    talesin

caliber

Coveting takes desire to the level of greed, extortion, obsessing

Really? If you look it up in the oxford dictionary (as I did before posting), you'll see this is the definition for covet:

yearn to possess (something, especially something belonging to another)

So the demonization of the word covet is your own (religious-based) connotation, and not the true meaning of the word.

Which is exactly why I suggested the alternatives.

tal

*it's good to check your facts before you correct others* klass

• caliber
    caliber

yearn to possess (something, especially something belonging to another)

I would say that 9o% of the time this would be seen in a negative light

this thought found on the Web would indeed explain your point of view

Who are you going to believe? Christians desire, lust for, and covet after the Knowledge and Wisdom of God, which is good. Sensuality, like lust, is purely neutral. What you do with it determines whether you sin or not. Sex with strangers is not good, but sex with your spouse is. There is nothing wrong with lusting. Do you lust for your wife, or do you lust for somebody else’s wife? This is the point. The Law does not say, "Do not covet", it says do not covet anything that belongs to somebody else (Exodus 20:17). (It would appear to apply to more material and fleshly things not to attributes as you suggest )

almost all bible teachings are
    dynamically balanced. For example .. many bible verses warn about dangers of sexual immorality yet encourage marital love making (songs of Solomon )

Likewise the Bible warnings of greed , love of money and such ! Some feel the Bible contradicts itself when in fact it is our own biblical immaturity that does not allow us to see and divide these balanced thoughts properly. I needed to expand my understanding of the word covet in this case !!

• Pika_Chu
    Pika_Chu

I think sometimes I'm too confrontational. I could take a listen from all the nice people on here.

• snowbird
    snowbird

I believe however that the sense of of word used here by snowbird was to emphasize a strong positive desire to be like ...

Exactly.

LOL @ Broken Promises.

I wish we could talk face-to-face.

Syl

• JW GoneBad
  • cantleave
    cantleave

I covet DJeggnogs awesome (self proclaimed) genius.

• Judge Dread
    Judge Dread

Nope, but I know a few who covet my avatar.

JDW

Popeye said it distincly, "I am what I am, I'm popeye the sailor man."

• snowbird
    snowbird

Hey, Warlock!

Good to see you.

Syl

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit