After Exiting the Witnesses - Are you O.K. Not Knowing about the Future ?

by flipper 76 Replies latest jw friends

• snowbird
    snowbird

Good answers, all.

We here in Alabama are dealing with the aftermaths of nature's fury right now.

The Mississippi River is flooding or threatening to flood other states.

Who has time to try to predict or worry about the future?

Syl

• TwentyYearsOut
    TwentyYearsOut

Something in human nature makes us think that we [humanity] are so special. That the world will come to an end, just because we said so.

The Earth and the Universe will go on, with or without us. We're not as special as we think.

There have been many religions that believed and predicted the end of the world.

They were all wrong.

• GOrwell
    GOrwell

I'm 100% OK not knowing the future - if God needs to kill me to make the world a better place, I guess the end really does justify the means. But yes, I don't think the universe gives a hoot about me.

• diamondiiz
    diamondiiz

I agree with sinis to a degree with the exception that it most likely will take longer than 5 years and that there is going to be a rebirth of society and change in the financial structure as we know it. I've been preparing accordingly for the last 7 or so years and glad I did. It feels great to be debt free and enjoying life in the best place in Canada (IMO).

IMO it's important to prepare for the future because if we get older we shouldn't rely on the governments to provide for us as this may not be realistic 20 or more years from now - would you chance it? Living and enjoying life is very important since we only live once and there is no more bogus hope of everlasting life to deceive ourselves with.

Adding wts to this, my theory is the near future will help wts' growth but will be like a parabolic blowoff top where there will be a lot of people returning to the fold and a lot of new ones getting sucked in thinking the end is here just to realize it had nothing to do with WTS false preaching and that's when the wts will start to crumble with many people ending up with nothing but horrible experience of knowing they've been conned.

If anyone is interested in reading an interesting book I recommend The Fourth Turning, hard read but quite a good theory presented on human cycles based on the last 500 years of Angle American history.

• truthseekeriam
    truthseekeriam

Great thread Flipper

I admit when we left I was afraid of the future, I mean come on the whole JW thing is doom and gloom! Do this and do that and maybe..just maybe, you'll get this.

Happy to say, two years out, I really don't worry about what's next. I love living each day for what it brings. I think one thing that helps greatly is have teenagers..I mean "thinking" teenagers who happily show us how fun it is to be normal and to think outside of the box we were once in. They openly talk about so many different subjects that they would have never brought up in JW land..it's great!

• Terra Incognita
    Terra Incognita

Flipper: "SINIS- So what do you think is going to happen in the next 5 years in the future ? Care to share your insight ?"

SINIS:"Major, global economic collapse."

As Jehovah's Witnesses we did not know squat about the future. I still had no clue for a while after leaving. However, my curiosity on certain matters automatically led me to have a preview of the future and it's a ghastly one.

Still I'm happy to know what's going to be happening, no matter how depressing it is. It is going to happen anyways regardless of how ignorant or knowledgeable I am. If I where to be ignorant, then the future's unfolding will affect me even more.

I agree with SINIS about the major economic collapse but I'm not sure about the time frame. Maybe 5, probably 10 or more years. But that is not the main concern with the future. It is going to be a synergy-a perfect storm of:

• Economic collapse.
    • Peak Oil.
    • Massive crop failures due to Global Warming (Already started last year. Will keep happening decade by decade.)
    • Apocalyptic and Theocratic religious movements (The seed is already firmly planted--"Dominionism")

• Terra Incognita
  • Chariklo
    Chariklo

The future is tomorrow. Tomorrow never comes.

What matters is now, enjoying the good things it brings, being nice to who you're going to meet by chance in the next 5 minutes, and trusting in God as you see him or the universe if you don't.

Wasn't there something someone said about the lilies in the field?

• sizemik
    sizemik

When I first "woke up" . . . I felt the 'spiritual void' of being without belief very keenly (as most do no doubt). I found much substance and solace in the philosophies of A Einstein . . . a great humanitarian.

The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and science. The distinction between the past, present and future is only an illusion, albeit a stubbornly persistent one.

I shall never believe that God plays dice with the world.
    His philosophical observations taught me most valuably . . . to be generous in allowing for the unknown. And that God would never hold us responsible for that which we do not know . . . he's well above that.

• Aussie Oz
    Aussie Oz

Yeah Flipper

i am ok with not knowing the future... because i finaly realized that i never did know it!

The JW future is pure fairytale myth.

but before i realized that, i was wanted to party till the lights went out and give god the finger as he struck me with lightening!

oz

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit