The best actors of years gone by...

by sinis 41 Replies latest jw friends

• prophecor
    prophecor

Tal I actually meant Susan Hayward. And I'm not good for getting them confused, either. Thanx 4 Catching me

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW

Talesin

Not much of a John Wayne fan so not sure which movie you're referring to.

• Glander
    Glander

I am a fan of many old character actors who show up in the films from the 30's and 40's. Ward Bond, John Qualen, Edward Arnold, Edgar Kennedy, and many more.

Spencer Tracy, Myrna Loy, Bette Davis, Ingrid Bergman (yumm), Joan Crawford, Jack Palance, Richard Widmark,

• brizzzy
    brizzzy

@talesin Yes, I own it and love it! Get a little misty every time I watch it. I think it was Juliet Stevenson, though, not Emma Thompson. She was great in it, too.

• poppers
    poppers

Re: Jack Lemmon....anyone remember Mister Roberts, also starring Jimmy Stewart and James Cagney? He was great in that...essential Lemmon fan material.

That wasn't Jimmy Stewart, but Henry Fonda playing the lead in Mister Roberts.

• Room 215
    Room 215

Frederic March, Spencer Tracy

• prophecor
    prophecor

There's a magic in those old black and white movies of the 40's & 50's. The women were absolutely glamourous, and the clothing was to die for. All the men were depicted wearing hats. Not caps mind you, but Stetsons, Fedoras. The imagery was so intense. It spoke to a markedly different age when life was slightly more innocent than it is now.

• wasblind
    wasblind

I agree Prophecor

• unshackled
    unshackled

That wasn't Jimmy Stewart, but Henry Fonda playing the lead in Mister Roberts.

Thanks poppers for catching my slip...indeed Henry Fonda. I'm not in good form on this thread...earlier typed Peter Fonda when I meant Henry.

Favorite scene in Mister Roberts gotta be the final one, with Lemmon tossing the palm tree over...
    " Captain, it is I, Ensign Pulver, and I just threw your stinkin' palm tree overboard! Now what's all this crud about no movie tonight? "

• nugget
    nugget

Humphrey Bogart,

Katherine Hepburn

Lauren Bacall

Sydney Poitier

Steve Macqeen

Nowadays Johnny Depp is very watchable

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit