Do Active Witnesses Find Meetings Exciting?

by Band on the Run 53 Replies latest jw friends

• scooterspank
    scooterspank

Flipper, I think I remember sleeping on the floor. I bet they spanked us as we got older for falling asleep . I think I have a lot of repressed memories. Damn this site . J/K.

I hope you can get your daughters out. My father was a quiet inspiration over the years, stepped down as an elder...blank...blank... then at some point made a very successful fade.

I must get him alone and ask him when he came to his senses! Never occured to me until now.

• RADHESYAM
    RADHESYAM

I used to fall asleep during sunday morning talk... Id feel my head fly back and i'd get a good jolt to wake me up again...for 5 seconds.

Hey I read on a cult information site that many kids forced to sit for long periods without any entertainment develop habits like dermatoillomania/tricholtillomania (skin picking and hair pulling respectively)

I was a child dub - Now I have a terrible time with my dermatillomania - my arms looks like i have been tortured with cigarrette burns - the scars are everywhere - shoulders too.

Any other ex dubs have this?

• transhuman68
    transhuman68

Is hearing the same fairy tale over and over again exciting? I used to look out the window of the Kingdom Hall on a warm sunny Sunday morning and wish I was anywhere else but where I was.

• fokyc
    fokyc

My wife; Sister fokyc is ecstatic with ALL the meetings;

when she can't go because of illness or weather she listens on the telephone link.

She even changes into 'meeting dress' and sings the songs; I go to bed!

She is off to a 2 day circuit ass. tomorrow and Sunday, when she arrives home she will be full of it!

• oompa
    oompa

OMG this hits home...the hours i spent in bathrooms, library, convention corridors, and often just sitting in my car reading the paper.....i can think of a LOT of adjectives to describe the meetings....exciting was NEVER one of them....after i quit attending i would intentionally ask my wife what she had learned when attending....that got old fast because even if there was new light she, like most, would somehow miss it...most people here know way more about current wt teachings than the flock....and this site is way closer to exciting than any meeting i ever went to...........................oompa

the elders even counseld me for doing so much research in the library during the meeting....saying it was "disturbing" some of the congo....i laughed and said my memory was so bad that if i did not get up to look something up i would forget it later...so stayed in the library all i wanted...that really pissed them off

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

'Exciting' isn't the word I'd use. 'Excruciating' more like it.

Most meetings were tedious and I tried to pretend it was good stuff...............but it just wasn't.

OK. I admit there were times when we had a good speaker who made the material interesting. Little did I know it was all fairy stories but still...............it wasn't down to the material but more down to who presented it.

• cantleave
  • blondie
    blondie

There were a few men that were good speakers and could liven up a dull part. I've known a couple of WT conductors that could draw people out with additional questions and bring in a point or two where I would go, "that's interesting" and I would go home and do a little research. Some I use on here. But as the WTS controlled the content and process of conducting for the sake of "unity" it became boring. If you make a chocolate cake, there is a great many ways of doing it, all tasty and all a chocolate cake. There is not one recipe.

• nugget
    nugget

No but at the end of the meeting someone would say wasn't that a great talk, fabulous watchtower article etc and you would think it must be me this was a marvelous meeting I just didn't appreciate it.

• donny
    donny

I was bored out of my skull most of the time. I really hated it when elders gave talks that referred to types and anti-types and tried to apply various biblical scenarios as applying to the organization. I was always happy to run the sound board or better yet, work in "security" where you had an excuse to walk the parking lot looking for evil ones who may be attempting to interupt the meeting (which never happened). I was always looking at my watch and wiating for the final "amen" so I could get out of there fast.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit