Abusive JW Mothers.

by Low-Key Lysmith 15 Replies latest jw friends

• Low-Key Lysmith
    Low-Key Lysmith

Thinking back on some other posters' threads and experiences, combined with some things I've read on Silent Lambs, and adding in my own personal history, it would seem that there was/is a lot of maternal abuse going on in the JW community.

brizzzy talks about her hellishly abusive mother.

the_raisin also started a thread about her psycho mom.

My mother was an absolute diabolical tyrant. I firmly believe that she got a sick thrill out of beating me bloody with a belt, or whatever object was at hand, from spatulas & wooden spoons to cast-iron frying pans.

It just makes me wonder if the WTS's stance on women being powerless, second-class citizens has anything to do with their women lashing out violently?

Just a thought. Discuss.

• reneeisorym
    reneeisorym

Not my experience at all ... My mom was quite protective over me.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

My mother was an absolute diabolical tyrant

My mother was and still wants to be a tryant. Right now she's powerless so she does other things like trying to pit her children against each other (hasn't been working so she all stressed out...the poor thing).

I just found out from my brother a few minutes ago that she used to talk crap about my husband and I to my kids when they were smaller. Is it any wonder my kids really don't want anything to do with her?

• Low-Key Lysmith
    Low-Key Lysmith

My mother wasn't raised around abuse. No one can figure out where her behavior stemmed from.

She had an unbelievably short temper, that when triggered, would explode into terrible violence. She was also very mentally & emotionally abusive. Constantly putting us down and calling us "stupid" and "worthless". She was such a control freak. She brow-beat my father into reclusive depression. Looking back, it seemed that she had no sense of power, so she made up for it by being incredibly controlling and abusive.

When some of the other kids at the Hall would plan an activity or get-together, we would not be allowed to go, for no other reason than that my mom just liked to say "no". Saturdays after field service would be spent doing chores. There was no time for anythig fun. Fun simply wasn't allowed at our house. If any of us, including our dad got caught singing along to a song on the stereo, it would send her into a fit.

She died terribly a few years ago from pancreatic cancer. I believe firmly that the cancer was a manifestation of her venom and negativity.

• rebel8
    rebel8

Low key, was your mother narcissistic?

Yes. Horrific here too.

She was never going to be a normal, healthy person....but the wts validated and encouraged her worst behaviors, which escalated them tenfold.

Remember, their bible says, as does their literature and talks, that beating your child is required, and the child can't die from abuse.

• The Oracle
  • The Oracle
  • Low-Key Lysmith
    Low-Key Lysmith

Yes, Rebel. She fit the Narcissist bill perfectly.

• cult classic
    cult classic

Low-Key Lysmith - I feel for anyone who had/has an abusive mother. It is one of the most soul-destroying experiences ever. A while ago MrsJones put up the article that Rebel8 just shared and it spoke volumes for me. That knowledge would have helped me tremendously back in the day. But I use it now and am feeling better.

One of the few things women in "the truth" get recognition for is having their kids in line. So, yes, I think you're onto something.

• Kahlua
    Kahlua

My mother was very physically abusive. Once she started beating me, which was often, it seemed she couldn't stop. She continued to beat me because I was crying and she would not stop until I stopped crying.

She did not beat my brother who was 2 yrs younger. Nor did she beat my 3 younger sisters (10, 13 & 18 yrs younger than me).

I was talking about this with my pioneer SIL. She was not a born in and did not believe me that the WTS encouraged this behavior. She did research it and later told me she saw how someone could interpret what the literature says as encouraging the 'discipline'. I told her I held my father responsible to some degree because he didn't protect me. SIL told me she talked to him about it and he told her he did try once and mom wouldn't speak to him or have anything to do with him until he gave in and let her have her way.

I believe she resented the fact that I ruined all her plans for her life. They were both pioneering when they got married and I came along 9 1/2 mos later. She had wanted to continue pioneering and be a missionary. I put a stop to all of that.

If I ever asked to go somewhere with the other kids in the congregation her answer was an automatic "NO". She did give in later and let me go but I always had to hear NO first thing.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit