New Way of Doing Field Service?

by snowbird 42 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• undercover
    undercover

Not too long before I gave up on field service forever, they started the parking lot witnessing. Anyone do that?

Ashamedly I have to admit that I shared in this a few times.

We'd sit in a car in the Wal-Mart parking lot and wait for people to come out of the store (we were instructed to get them coming out, not going in. If the store owners/managers saw us waylaying people from coming in and spending money we might get run off and eventually banned from the parking lot) ... follow them to their car, try to make eye contact before scaring the shit out of them and offer a tract or magazine.

I HATED IT! So why did I do it? Because the CO wanted us to go where the people were. And God knows that no one was at home on a Saturday morning. A good percentage of them were at Wal-Mart. So off to Wally World to save some hick redneck souls...

• keyser soze
    keyser soze

We never did parking lots, but we did do waysides. I remember being with a brother once who literally stepped in front of a guy as he was walking back to his car, and went into his lame presentation. I just wanted to duck down in the back seat.

• snowbird
    snowbird
    So off to Wally World to save some hick redneck souls...

No saving of Leroys' souls?

All this time I thought JW's are equal opportunity soul destroyers savers!

Syl

• undercover
    undercover
    No saving of Leroys' souls?

That was the other Wal-Mart...across town. I'm sure the brother Brothers worked that store.

Our Wal-Mart was predominantly white trash with the odd immigrant worker thrown in.

• snowbird
    snowbird

ROFL!!!

Syl

• keyser soze
    keyser soze
    Our Wal-Mart was predominantly white trash with the odd immigrant worker thrown in.

That's vastly differen't than every Wal-Mart I've ever been in.

• jean-luc picard
    jean-luc picard

I actually saw in one city, the magazines attached to a vending board, out side a train station, much like one might see newspapers etc. There was no one nearby.

• snowbird
    snowbird

Where is Nathan Homer Knorr whe nyou need him?

Syl

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

This wastes resources. Suppose they took the money they waste on gas, and put it in silver instead. Had they did that through 2010, the $40 they would have needed for weekly gas would have bought 2 ounces of silver. This would add up, at a tank wasted per week, to 100 ounces. Without a single extra second of secular work.

Put that away--and, when the dollar crashes, the silver can be used as money. Which could buy necessities like food, gas, and shelter. Which in turn would help them get through the crisis--at least they would have something to change for Ameros or "World-o's (whatever the new one world currency turns out to be). But, wasting it all on gas, they ensure that they have absolutely nothing to change when the dollar dies.

Nor do they have anything put aside. If they put their gas money in silver instead of wasting it on this field circus, and it added up to just 100 ounces of silver a year between 1985 and 2010, you are looking at 2600 ounces of silver. Then, once it becomes very difficult to obtain and its value surges to $6,000 per ounce, 2600 ounces of silver becomes $15,600,000 in late 2010 dollars. (Which is protected against hyperinflation, to boot.) Now, I wonder which 80-year-old witless that has been a lifelong witless would say that an extra $15.6 million wouldn't help them with their bills now.

• godrulz
    godrulz

In the 80s, I used to go downtown in our city to witness to the JWs (and tie them up). They would go during the work hour rush and stand on the corner like robots holding up the magazines (hardly relational evangelism). I imagine they could count the time and then head off to work. I had great conversations and would usually just show a verse in the NWT that did not support their view. One time, the power of the Spirit was evident as I showed a Deity of Christ verse that they had no answer to. The conviction and convincing of the Spirit was there (anointing), but they attributed what they sensed to the devil (JWs are afraid of too many things). They packed up and left. They used to call me Bible Bill (first name) because I would wield the sword of the Spirit instead of just holding up manmade magazine covers. Do witnesses still stand on street corners like robots or did they clue in that this was not really effective and just made them look robotic and brainwashed? At least they were trying to do something (even if wrong reasons and false gospel), more than many of my fellow believers ever do.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit