New Way of Doing Field Service?

by snowbird 42 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• snowbird
    snowbird

Tee hee hee.

I hope a drive-by shooting doesn't accompany her drive-by witnessing.

Syl

• keyser soze
    keyser soze

We used to call it, "starting our time".

• snowbird
    snowbird

I remember a proud mama telling a cute story of how her three-year old son urged her to "Hurry, so we can get our time started!"

That three-year-old is now grown up and recently released from Federal prison.

Syl

• NomadSoul
    NomadSoul

haha Snowbird, talk about about the irony. He got his time in!

• snowbird
    snowbird

Yep.

Ironic and sad.

Syl

• saltyoldlady
    saltyoldlady

I actually experienced a Bible Study being started with "bus stop" witnessing and she came into our hall and actually got baptized too - a delightful gal. She was on the cell phone when the sister approached the bus stop - there were about six people there - and when the sister approached her last of all she told her aunt - there is one of JW's here right now wanting to talk to me - will call you back in a bit. This gal was at the moment talking to her aunt who is a JW someplace far away. She accepted the study pronto - it was the only time anyone would have ever caught her at a bus stop because her car was currently in the repair shop for maintenance stuff. She was an extremely talented individual, very bright, and very eager - in her early 20's - the "perfect" study.

But I myself detested this kind of witnessing - being old they thought it was the best for me as I don't walk very easily or quickly. BUT the truth of the matter is the hardest part of field service was the getting in and out of a car - my left hip is all but gone. And I hated giving my presentation to some poor soul who had no possible way of escape plus in front of a group of "amused" bystanders. This had to be the most gruesome field service duty I ever did. I preferred street work (which I also detested) to this by far. But I admired the sisters who could approach these strangers with such ease and naturalness and end up conducting "interesting" conversations. And the sister who conducted the above mentioned Bible Study was one of those.

One of the items I thought especially bad about the practice is - they would pile about six people into a van - run for a bustop - let two out and then the rest would just sit there in the comfort of the car drinking coffee, hot chocolate, whatever - eating doughnuts, or whathaveyou's - having a gay old gabfest about anything but spiritual things - until the couple worked thru the whole crowd at the bus stop. Since we lived near the end of several bus junctions there were always big mobs there to talk with and the usual 2 hour session would normally consist of very few "real" witnessing encounters per person but they didn't want to let us all out for fear the crowd would feel "overwhelmed." (Give me a break - let's get real - you guys are just plain LAZY).

• ballistic
    ballistic

System up with the top down
    Got the city on lockdown
    Drive by in the low ride
    Hands high when we fly by
    Fly by, fly by, fly by, fly by

WATCHTOWER and AWAKE???????????????????

• snowbird
    snowbird

LOL.

Thanks for the experience, Salty.

This particular JW never got out of her car.

She just drove up, beckoned to the nearest person, and made the offer.

Syl

• TheClarinetist
    TheClarinetist

I prefer to think of witnessing at bus stops as "Forest Gump" witnessing. "My mama always said that life is a like a box of chocolates. Ya' never know what'cha gonna git. So here's a Watchtowa'"

Wouldn't stopping randomly in the middle of the street to talk to people be a safety hazard? I know they like finding ways to let the older witnesses get their time in, but really? [On a side note, my great-grandmother pioneers every month by writing letters. Lots and lots and lots of really long letters...]

• snowbird
    snowbird
    Wouldn't stopping randomly in the middle of the street to talk to people be a safety hazard?

Not down here.

Syl

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit