How Do I 'Come Out' To My Kids?

by headisspinning 23 Replies latest jw friends

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

If you come out before they do .... you will be perceived as a threat and cult conditioning will kick in. Every mind control trick they have ever been taught is still in place. Read the July Simpleton WT to remind yourself what they have been taught.

Teach them critical thinking. Look for books on it in your local library.

Then ask questions that undermine the WTs claim to be God's channel. Remind them to use their new critical thinking skills when they go astray.

After they 'Come Out', admit that you are out too.

• Ding
    Ding

Knowledge is power.

Listen a lot to find out where they are coming from, what they think about things, what they think of "the truth," what they think of you and your ex...

The more you know, the better you will be able to figure out how to proceed.

• Scully
    Scully

First off, you need to go back to the judge who signed off on the 50/50 split for custody. You need to stand up for your rights and those of your children. Have documentation of times your ex failed to deliver the children to you as agreed, his excuses for doing so, and how much you ended up having to pay him for child support as a result of these orchestrated violations of your custody arrangement.

1. He is in violation of the 50/50 custody arrangement, thus forcing you to make support payments to him. If you don't stand up for yourself, your ex certainly won't - in fact he's probably gloating at the KH about how you have to pay him because he's figured out how to scam you into getting more time with the kids than you, plus he gets to subject your children to JW indoctrination whenever he gets the chance.

2. He is in violation of the agreement whereby neither parent will pressure the children into religious practices. His doing so perpetuates his violation #1, and in turn violates your right to shared/equal custody and forces you to make support payments to him.

3. If you don't attend a church, then you need to provide alternate activities on KH days, your ex is going to take advantage of that by claiming that he is providing a social / spiritual environment that will be of benefit to the children. Would you not prefer to fork over money to Girl Scouts, Boy Scouts, sports activities, or other after school activitites that your children can participate in, instead of just acting like a victim and letting him take advantage of you, claiming that the JW Meetings™ and Field Service™ provide for the socialization needs that your children have?

A 50/50 arrangement should be just that. You get the kids for one week or two weeks in a row, he gets them for the same amount of time. Period. None of this him getting them for meeting nights, and weekends so they can go in service, so he can attempt to screw you over. No late or early pick ups or drop offs, because that will play into his attempts at screwing you over as well. You have as much right to give the children a break from the KH and JW activities (call it your "belief system" if you like) as he has to drag them to the KH and so on.

As to how to deal with your children - first and foremost don't give in to their father's bullying you so much. You can bet your bottom dollar he is taking advantage of that too and twisting every instance into an opportunity to berate you to them. He has them 51% of the time?? The kids will hear about how he does SO MUCH MORE for them than you do, and how you neglect them, how you'd just rather give him money/support payments to get them out of your hair. How you don't love them as much as he does. How he's providing for them spiritually, and looking after their Eternal Future™, whereas you are selfishly focused on the here-and-now. Fight for your kids. Being nice to a bullying ex just allows him to steamroller you into looking bad to the kids.

When discussing religion or belief systems with your children, teach them the importance of asking WHY. Teach them how to evaluate evidence. Teach them how to weed through baseless claims and require facts. It's more important for children to learn how to think - which is the course I'm recommending for you - rather than what to think, which your ex-husband is doing to them.

What I'm really saying - I realize I may come across as a bit harsh toward you and that is not what I intend - is that you are no longer a JW and you do not have to behave in a JW-like Submissive™ manner to your ex-husband. You may not even realize that his behaviour is bullying toward you because that is the dynamic you have become accustomed to from him. But it IS bullying. You don't have to put up with it. Not for one minute. Be the strong woman that doesn't put up with his crap anymore. Do it for your kids, and do it for your own self-respect.

• SnakesInTheTower
    SnakesInTheTower

daaaaaammmmmn go scully ...... worships at scully's feet. good advice. sic em.

Snakes (Rich )

• jean-luc picard
    jean-luc picard

I would suggest, whilst explaining ( I leave the details here, because frankly I'm not sure what you might say)

to both of your children, that you make sure that the eldest one really understands.

In the future, the younger may have unclear memories of the conversation and it would be up to the eldest to

clarify matters. And that could even be 10 years from now.

Good luck

jlp

• Aussie Oz
    Aussie Oz

I have two kids being raised by the ex (14 and 17)

I wish i had started sooner with them. I am careful to never come accross 'apostate' but do not shy away from demonstrating faults with the JWs. I endeavor to be the loving dad who will support them always even when the JWs wont.

They know i do not think it is the truth. I try hard to show them that they can have a happy life without the WT directing. I try to get them to think.

but get back to the lawyers because JWs are renowned for breaking court orders/parenting aggreements.

oz ( i wish i could be more help but i feel like i am losing the battle for now...)

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

I haven't any specific advice. But I know this: I wish someone would have 'filled me in' when my mother was being brainwashed and brainwashing me. By the time I was 9 or 10 I was already hooked into believing with all my heart. It took me until age 48 to 'get out'. I hope some good advice works for you, but more for them.

Jeff

• Doubting Bro
    Doubting Bro

Scully - That may be the best written piece of advice I've ever seen. Headisspinning, I also think forcing your ex to abide by what the courts have mandated is your biggest issue at the moment.

Kids at those ages certainly grasp what's going on. I think the indirect method of questioning and getting them to think for themselves is probably the best course. Obviously if they ask directly what your stance is you can tell them the truth, that you used to believe that way but after you really investigated the religion, you now think differently. Maybe give them one example and then drop it for the time being. The older one you could likely have a more indepth conversation with but remember how you reacted the first time the blinders came off. They could react the same way.

Whatever you do, don't flood them with everything at once. If they really believe, they likely can't handle it.

Of course, if one of my parents told me that I didn't have to go to meetings, etc at 14, I would have jumped for joy. I didn't really start beliving hard core until later.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

You have received some great advice already. As mentioned, most important is for the children to be confident in your love for them and acceptance of them, so when they do have questions and issues in life they know they can turn to you for support.

It is a tough balance getting the doctrinal side right, as you do not want to be overbearing against the Watchtower, as they could label you apostate and shy away from you. However, you do need them to see that there is a second side to the story. Make sure your children know that the reason you do not attend meetings is not because you are a "weak sinner", but that you have done research and know why you do not believe. If they make a comment that displays ignorant Watchtower reasoning, let them know another opinion.

Try to get them to understand over time that the religion a person belongs to is as dependant on where they are born as the language they speak. It is not because it is better, but because of circumstance. They would be equally confident the Mormons were the truth if you and their father had been Mormons when they were born.

• sizemik
    sizemik

My kid's were 16, 11 and 9 when we ran for our lives.

I was ill for a while and didn't discuss the situation straight away . . . but when I did I was careful to begin by asking them how they felt about the things they had learned at the KH . . . only that . . . without counter argument.

I was pleasantly suprised that while they asked the occasional question . . . the three of them absolutely HATED the meetings, HATED field service and were really glad they didn't have to do it anymore.

I know your circumstances differ Julia, but it might be relevant in that if you be available simply as a sounding board for them at first, you will get to know what they really think . . . not what they think you want to hear. Then you have a starting place. Additionally . . . they will have little to "quote" you on reducing the possibility of them being in the middle of a debate which could trouble them.

Being a sounding board mostly will provide a place of security for them . . . then you can progressively deal with their fear and guilt which the WT will undoubtedly instill . . . and this will give them relief.

Good question . . . and some good answers here . . . pick the bits that suit your situation

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit