Struggling

by anniegirl76 80 Replies latest jw friends

• godrulz
    godrulz

It can be shown from extensive writings in church history that there is NO precedent for Mormonism, JWs, Christian Science, Scientology, New Age, Islam, etc. Hinduism is old, but it is not even close to Christianity. This is an objective fact. You constantly think that a false statement disproves the possibility of a true statement. Is your forum name a mockery of Jesus?

• doofdaddy
    doofdaddy

Godrulz said:

Hinduism is old, but it is not even close to Christianity

Hinduism is the oldest known spiritual tradition in the world and there is evidence that it flourished long before recorded history in ancient India.

The ancient Vedic civilization practiced Hinduism in the Indus Valley over 6,000 years ago and it was already then an old established tradition.

There is plenty of Evidence that its origin goes back into pre-historic times.

Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_old_is_Hinduism#ixzz1MCgkzhML

• godrulz
    godrulz

What I meant (but you misunderstood) was that Hinduism is not in the same category of faith as Christianity or pseudo-Christian cults. Hinduism is older than Christianity, but so is Judaism (yet Christianity is the full expression of divine revelation Heb. 1:1-3).

• doofdaddy
  • White Dove
    White Dove

Just to have fun here...Did you know that America is becoming more Hindu in its spiritual expressions and ideas?

America is doing this naturally without even being aware of it.

Read that on a news item on I think it was Belief.com or something like that.

There was a study done.

I'm going to check into Hinduism.

I'm Wiccan, by the way, and came into it naturally.

No coersion or preaching at me.

No conversion.

Just came into myself and Wicca/paganism was there.

Neat how that happens, huh?

Don't worry about chasing after religion or rushing to find the right one.

The right one is within you.

Just look within and relax.

It will come to you naturally.

• cantleave
    cantleave

Anniegirl - you have a PM

• jgnat
    jgnat

Evangelicals aren't remotely like the first century church. The early christians were loosely associated communities who prayed and broke bread together throughout the week (Pliny the Younger). Most were illiterate. There was no bible as we know today, only circulated letters that were read aloud.

Evangelicals/Pentecostals have their roots in the Millenial/Revivalist movements in the late 1800's, and are a product of the modern era (industrialism and universal literacy).

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/watchtower/beliefs/210113/1/1st-Cen-Christianity-One-Organization

• godrulz
    godrulz

Paul's letters are Scripture and they circulated in the first century, even before the canon was formalized/finalized. Evangelical beliefs such as trinity, deity of Christ/resurrection/virgin conception, salvation by grace through faith apart from works, spiritual gifts (Pentecostal), etc. do trace to the beginning of the church. In contrast, Mormon and JW distinctives have no precedent until the 1800s (except JW Arian concepts, Christ as creature).

• 21stcenturywoman
    21stcenturywoman

Being abandoned by family members is hurtful, unloving, and a form of abuse. I haven't been involved with the JWs for most of my adult life (I was involved all of my childhood). My family hasn't completely abandoned/shunned me. However, they flip flop on how they treat me (based on whatever the elders say at a meeting...a.k.a. "new light"). One JW family member in particular doesn't talk to me at all, but quite frankly that's fine with me (he's an awful person anyway). The only time it hurts is when my parent plays emotionally cruel games with me, in the name of "Jehovah".

I am not a religious person, and I don't think I ever was. I do not believe in organized religion at all. I think it's dangerous! Everyone has to find their own way. I doubt finding another church or religion is going to solve any problems, or replace that need for family interaction. Nevertheless, if you're able to find a person/people who will love you unconditionally and love yourself completely, you'll find true happiness.

anniegirl76, I wish you the best!

• jgnat
    jgnat

Paul's letters are canonized now, but they were just letters in the first century. So your claim is that the evangelicals/pentecostals are most closely aligned in belief to the first century church.

Based on literal and specific interpretation of the bible, canonized four centuries later.

I don't think modern-day Christians would even recognize the first century followers of The Way.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit