Need awesome suggestions!

by the_raisin 21 Replies latest jw friends

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut
    Their actions toward you really shows they do not want to be out in service.

Yes, it might not be "you" at all but the work that they are "snubbing."

If you ever do get them "preaching" to you, say how you might have been interested days/weeks ago, but you found it rude that they ignored you all this time.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

First, welcome to the forum, the_raisin.

When you were witnessing, did you approach random people on the street? I know I never did, and it while it was not unheard of, the vast majority of witnesses I worked with didn't either.

I doubt they are snubbing you, but rather sense that you are open to being approached and therefor feel a little guilty for being afraid to do so. I don't know what you mean by "look really weird" (post pics please), but if you stand out at all, it intimidates, well, most people, but especially witnesses because, while they can save their own ego by imagining that you are *weird _ and therefor wild/scary*, the truth is that what they are really worried about is that you are *weird _ and therefor willing to think for yourself and challenge whatever someone says*.

The last thing witnesses want is to be challenged.

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

Next time dress up like an empty house and they'll walk right up to you.

• rebel8
    rebel8

^LOL!

...or a donut shop!

• the_raisin
    the_raisin

LOL, omg you guys are hillarious!

I should've clarified- During the time I was active back in Chicago we were actually encouraged to approach strangers walking around, no matter what they looked like, no matter if we just gave them a brochure or a magazine. They told us the point was to reach as many people as we could, and I did approach strangers and many others did. Which is why I was shocked to see how they acted, because I assumed it was a universal thing :p.

Funny thing, I was walking to the library today and saw them again- only this time it was the English speaking and they were older African American brothers and sisters. They did not speak to me, but they also did not snub me, they smiled at me but not condescendingly. I guess it's better this way, even if they don't talk to you, because it isn't as off putting as somebody looking down on you with pity, a stranger in the middle of the day giving you the stink eye.

You guys are right though, I should not lower my self to their level :p. Sometimes I get a little hot headed when people make assumptions about me (like, when you go to a fancy restaurant and the server is ignoring you and giving you terrible service because they see you all young looking and wearing band shirts, even though you can afford it and was willing to tip the server).

the_max- Whoa, that's an excellent suggestion!!! I'm telling the dog's daddy, see if he wants to go along with it >:)

• the max
    the max

Hey babe ,hang on in there,Your real brothers and sisters will look out for you, WE might be in Cyberspace,though we are here for you. x

And I will pick your brain at a later date, cos i need help with my step daughter, night Raisin

• FifthOfNovember
    FifthOfNovember

I personally don't think they are "snubbing" you. When I used to go out in FS we never used to talk to people walking down the street. Maybe a "Hello, nice weather/how are you?" or even just a smile. I think you may come off as a crazy person if you start asking "Is it a new policy to ignore people?" I know if someone did that to me while I was in FS I would think they were a nut.

• the_raisin
    the_raisin

the max- awwwwww

FifthOfNovemeber- Yes, I understand that. But there's a difference between 'ignoring' and flat out being mean. Trust me, I've dealt with snubbers, and this was snubbing. Looking at you and smirking or giggling AS they stare at you? Yeah, that's not ignoring me. Really rude, and disconcerting when it's coming from older women.

• MartynAndrew
    MartynAndrew

Once they are on the clock they aren't going to waste their time, if you caught them before they started the shift they might try to hand you something, you say you're not interested, and they are on the clock, since they aren't on piece work, or get a bonus for talking to people why bother, they are going to paradise anyway with or without you at least in their mind. Plus a house holder is less likely to lash out since they are at home. I guess they are sort of working for a company that does not pay it's employees and they are only at work cause the wife or husband will be made if they sat on the couch all day. what a screwed up way to live, i'm so glad we are not part of that pile-o-crap.

• Quentin
    Quentin

Welcome the_raisin glad your here.

I think I know how you feel. Back in the day, when we were "on the clock" we talked to ANYBODY we came accross while in FS. Mostly HH though, but if we passed someone walking their dog we were agressive, in a nice way, great chance for a quick witness, didn't let anyone get away.

However, you 've got good comments from young ex-jw's ( speaking about the passage of time ) that understand how the tower operates in the now. I don't go that far back, but can you imagine how it was in the days of Rutherford? Talk about agressive, carry signs, phono-graphs blaring. In your face with their message. Don't think you would feel "snubed" back then, or back when I was active.

Been on this board for six years, still amazed how much has changed when it comes to fs. Don't feel bad, none of the wtnesses want to be out there pounding the pavement. Dash through your territory assingment fast as you can, then head for the coffee shop, kick back, relax and do the most important thing a jw out in fs can do, gossip about what's going on at the kh.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit