Your Age at Baptism (into JWs, not Catholics or Baptists - duh)

by undercover 39 Replies latest jw friends

• undercover
    undercover

LeavingWT mentioned on another thread the age of his wife when she was baptized. She was a child. How can you expect a child to make such a decision?

I remember hearing all the arguments against JWs getting married at a young age. Getting married is one of the biggest decisions you'll make. Can you be mature enough to make that decision at 19, 20 or even 21? Yet at the same time, the single most important decision was to get baptized and we were encouraged to do so as soon as we felt ready.

If one isn't ready for the second most important decision at 20 or 21, then how can one be ready for the most important decision at 13, 14 or 15?

Anyway, I thought it would be cool to have a poll, unscientific as it is, to see the various ages we got baptized at.

I'll start:

• sooner7nc
    sooner7nc

17, and no I was not nearly smart or mature enough to make that kind of decision.

• unshackled
    unshackled

Interesting thoughts undercover. Never looked at the baptism vs marriage age discrepancy.

If I recall I was 17. Don't recall overwhelmingly feeling the WANT to, but rather the NEED to because I was almost done high school. All the good kids got baptized before they finished school...the sooner the better. Nutty.

• redsoxfan1393
    redsoxfan1393

I was at 15 because I didn't feel accepted. If I only knew nothing would change when I was, other than it made leaving much more difficult.

• poopsiecakes
    poopsiecakes

17 after high school was done - I knew better than to attempt it earlier

(still too young though, in retrospect)

• Mickey mouse
  • coffee_black
    coffee_black

Coffee

• headisspinning
    headisspinning

14 - and crazy as a loon

• unshackled
    unshackled

8, coffee?! Wowza, I couldn't even decide between Bubbilicious or Hubba Bubba gum at that age.

• coffee_black
    coffee_black

Yup, 8. Gave my first presentation at the door at 4. First ms talk at 8. I was a true believer.

Coffee

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit