The Civil Rights Struggle: Put it to Rest

by prophecor 27 Replies latest jw friends

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

Larry Moe and Curly?

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

LoL, yeah I wish. Just a visual.

I would like to say though that I don't wake up every morning bemoaning the fact that I am black. I don't go through my day looking for perceived slights from white people. I don't teach my children to fear white people or put them down because the majority of their friends happen to be white. I don't restrict myself to living, eating, breathing with only black folks. The few friends I have are of all colors and I like it that way. The friends I have don't make an issue of what my skin color happens to be but like me for who I am and I do likewise with them. But if the occassional topic about race (and if it's pointed about black folks) pops up on this board I will make a comment about my experience and perspective. It's only fair, don't ya think?

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I did Supreme Court litigation support for the N.O.W. Legal Defense Fund. Please tell where any major women's group blocked equality for women. YOu may be referring to pedestal legislation and rules. Women were held to be too delicate to vote or serve on juries. We don't need empty preferences. It may be hard for men and some women to comprehend but women want their full rights as human beings. The only person I saw block progress with my own eyes was Phylis Schafly. A pathetic woman with no sense of sisterhood. I worked on the amicus briefs and attended countless N.O.W. meetings. People always post assertions here as though they are hard facts. No references are ever given. It makes a conversation difficult.

• designs
    designs

Today in 1848, 300 women met in Seneca Falls, New York and began the Women's Movement.

Susan B. Anthony, Elizabeth Cady Stanton, Amelia Jenks Bloomer were among the 300.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I am white and cannot disagree with you more strongly. We can all forget about it when there is true equality. Racism affected more than the immediate generations. Law recognizes something called "disparate impact." It is possible to trace whether a practice is race based or just a co-incidence by two methods. One, the origin-this is easy to do in the Jim Crow South. Second, disparate impact. Statistics show that African-Americans or even a religion are disadvantage at such a rate than no other reason but racism could explain it. Inst'l racism was the cause.

Congress can enact laws to enforce the fourteenth Amendment that go beyond the legal text of the 14th Amendment. Congress can require more when it comes to race b/c of the history. I may clarify this later.

When co-incidence explains such matters as number of prison imates, substandard housing, lack of education -- when there is an equal chance of a white male facing such situations as an African-American male, we have reached the point where civil rights does not matter. One of my black poli. sci professors declared in the early 1970s that a black U.S. Senator or even President does not count much. Tokens exist. When eight honest housing inspectors are assigned to Harlem, civil rights have been achieved.

I never thought I would live to see a black man as president of the United States. Indeed, I never thought a black woman could. One black president does not begin to make up for govt'l racism. We have come very far but we have so much further to go.

Also, the concept of reparations is present. Most black Americans polled dont want reparations, which they and Native Americans richly deserve. They want equality. We are far from equal. We may be getting closer but we are not there.

• botchtowersociety
    botchtowersociety
    I did Supreme Court litigation support for the N.O.W. Legal Defense Fund.

Really? Color me amazed!

• rather be in hades
    rather be in hades

and you want to point fingers at others for ad hominem attacks?

• designs
    designs

Today marks the 78th anniversary of 'Bloody Friday' when 67 Truck Drivers and friends were shot by the police under the orders of the pro-business Citizens Alliance in Minneapolis.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit