The Civil Rights Struggle: Put it to Rest

by prophecor 27 Replies latest jw friends

• prophecor
    prophecor

We have been priveliged to have the first black president in the US to serve in The White House. With the wrestling of the 50's and 60's, King and the Kennedys. Race riots, Vietnam, the drug culture of the seventies, and so on and so forth, isn't it time we all took a deep breath and take into account all that has transpired between where we are and where we've been? It's time to put the battle between the races and the sexes to sleep. Can't We All Just Get Along?

• snowbird
    snowbird

Prophecor!!!

Hey, there.

Syl

• keyser soze
    keyser soze

Earlier in the week, they showed the film Birth of a Nation on TCM, in honor of the 150th anniversary of the start of the Civil War. It was a film that portrayed African-Americans as sexual predators, and romanticized the KKK. We've certainly come a long way from the time when the ideology of that movie was considered mainstream.

• snowbird
    snowbird

D. W. Griffith's Birth of a Nation was filmed in 1914, and premiered in 1915.

Hmmm ...

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/jw/friends/40292/1/Watchtower-Birth-of-a-Nation-article

Syl

• wasblind
    wasblind

Good Mornin' Prophecor,

I feel your sentiment , but the truth of the matter is, it can never be put to rest

as long as there is a need to protect the rights of others whether it's because of

race, sexuality, or just protecting the right to believe in somethin' no one should

give up the stuggle

• chickpea
    chickpea

let's be clear that the meaning of civil rights
    goes well beyond the massive movement of
    the 50-60's which btw is still resonating!

civil rights struggles are part of my everyday life!

i have a transgender son and believe me, there
    are plenty of issues yet to sort and push beyond
    in the realm of "civil rights" including housing and
    job protection... i write about 3 emails a week to
    my elected legislative officials at state and national
    levels and sit on the board of an LGBT advocacy
    group's local chapter.... civil rghts are still in great
    flux and inequality persists

i live for the day "the civil rights struggle" is put to rest
    for every one and for all time!

• sd-7
    sd-7

We have not yet reached the pinnacle of human potential. Everyone is not yet truly equal. There may be a black man in the White House, but let's face it, there has never been a WOMAN President, even several decades after the women's suffrage movement. Women still aren't making as much as men across the board. A black president isn't even the tip of the iceberg; that was bound to happen sooner or later. Equality should be happening from the bottom up AND the top down, with all man- and woman- kind meeting in the middle. Race, religion, gender, sexual preferences--all of these areas are still sources of contention for many.

To say the least, we've got a lot of work to do before we truly are getting along.

--sd-7

• wasblind
    wasblind

You said a mouthful sd-7

• Dune
    Dune

The Symbolic Representation falllacy, If a handful of minorities acheive greatness politically and/or financially, there isn't anything holding them back and therefore protections afforded to them by the law/and or government are unnecessary.

So not true, just like the myth that Affirmative Action mostly benefits Minorities (when it in fact mostly benefits White Women), just because an African American man is presiden and one of the richest women in the US is African American, doesn't mean that racism is no longer a hinderance to African Americans.

Another thing to keep in mind is just because it is taboo to be overtly racist, it doesn't mean that covert forms of racism aren't in full force.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

We have been ?? "priveliged" ?? "to have the first black president"

Old thought patterns are hard to change.

White, black, red, green...........I think the man (or woman) in whom 51% of the American people put faith is the one who is privileged (or priveliged).

At the end of his first 4 years, we'll see if he is again privileged to have earned their trust and faith for 4 more years.

(I hope so, or I may feel inclined to jump back on the Armageddon bandwagon.)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit