Wife wants me to read Secret of Family Happiness, any suggestions?

by insearchoftruth 41 Replies latest watchtower bible

• highdose
    highdose

you do realise don't you that she is doing this in an attempt to "encourage" you to become a JW yourself. The hope is you will like the JW idea of the "head of the house" so much that you will join and bingo! her cong will have a new guy to handle the mics and give out the wt's, and of course she will get the added qdos of having got her husband into the cult "without a word".

I should imgaine shes already been excitedly talking to her fellow cult members about this. The elders will have been very anxoius for her to do this as it could mean another penis to join their cult ranks! And of course they very much want new penises to join... their running low on them... and humans with penises are what count ya know... not those lowly vagina people at all!! ( tounge in check here)

• blondie
    blondie

It always amazes me that jws think that a WTS book has more value and effectiveness than the Bible. I would read the Bible, looking for passages that illuminate the WTS hypocrisies.

• oompa
    oompa

that may just be a crazy fantasy honesty...fun weekends away do not replace lifetime loyalties in most cases.....oompa

• Morbidzbaby
    Morbidzbaby
    highdose - The elders will have been very anxoius for her to do this as it could mean another penis to join their cult ranks! And of course they very much want new penises to join... their running low on them... and humans with penises are what count ya know... not those lowly vagina people at all!! ( tounge in check here)

ROFL! That's what it boils down to, doesn't it?

Great advice given so far. Use it to your advantage to get her to think on her own (if that's possible). A "Family Worship Night" (how DO you do that blasted trademark symbol???) is a great start to being able to do that.

• pirata
    pirata

This is a good opportunity for you.

Start with an ice-breaker. Download the full "U.S. Religious and landscape survey" here: http://religions.pewforum.org/reports. Discuss the chart on pg. 67 which shows that Jehovah's witnesses have a divorce rate of 14%, compare with non-religious (12%), or Hindus (5%). Except some objections like "Satan is putting on the pressure against God's true Worshippers, that's why it's higher", or "Of course their divorce rate is lower because more are living together" (with the exception of Hindus). You don't necessarily have to counter these, just bring up the fact and let it be.

Find your own book that you want to study in parallel (ie. One week do the "family happiness" book, the other week do your book). One book I like is the book "Mistakes Were Made (but not by me): Why we justify foolish beliefs, Bad decisions, and hurtful acts", which not only explains cognitive dissonance theory, but also has a good chapter on how it can be used to maintain a strong marriage. It's only fair that you both get to share something you like with each other.

I suggest studying each chapter ahead of time, maybe posting here what you'll discuss each week and getting ideas for good points to bring up for that week. You can also look for parallels with the scriptures used in the chapter with similar sayings from other religions, or even secular sources.

• steve2
    steve2

The book sounds like the usual baby-food for couples who can't think for themselves. What level of communication do you have with your wife insearchofthetruth? What aspect of her relationship with you does she want to change? It's hardly a secret that the most satisfied couples feel safe enough to have pretty upfront discussions about these sorts of things. Her softly, softly approach has "hint, hint, please become a JW" written all over it. If you're okay about her approach, just go along with it; if you're not, it's time for some honesty on your part. Or asre you also playing games with her (i.e., hinting about what you'd like her to do)? Whatever the case, at least one of your isn't very adult.

A bit off topic, I know, but I'm always intrigued by books or articles that have the word "Secret" in the title. It conjures up images of people actively trying to suppress information that readers could be interested in. "Shhhh...don't tell people that the man's the head of the household...it's a secret!" Terribly childish.

• moshe
    moshe

The WT books are just full of fake religious dogma . To make your point, tell your wife before you start the study you have some questions that only one of the Faithful and Discreet Slave can answer- have one of them come over or call you asap. Not an elder- only a real live member of the F&DS will do for you.

I can just hear you now--"What? You can't find one of the F&DS? Even Bethel (WT headquarters in NY) couldn't find one? Does this mean it's all make believe after all?- if the F&DS isn't real, then the WT books are just teachings of men and not worth my time or yours."

• TheListener
    TheListener

Hi Insearchof,

I didn't read all the advice but I'm sure most of it is spot on.

For my 2cents: I'd go to a christian bookstore and find a newer more well written couples book and offer to go over that with her; especially since the Secret to Family Happiness is 15 years old.

Good luck.

• jgnat
    jgnat

I think "The Secret of Family Happiness" is a great book for "unbelieving" spouses. You have an instant resource to explain the odd behavior of your partner. My (non-JW, activist) friend thinks this should be given to any woman thinking of joining the JW's. The requirements for women to submit should be offensive enough for modern women.

JW's too often treat their books like talismans or something, that if they could just get their "unbelieving" mates to finish a book, they will magically begin thinking just like them. The "Secret of Family Happiness" book sort of promises that if the "believing" spouse is kind, tolerant, and patient, that they will win over their spouse in time. It does not take any consideration that there may be individual differences. Like, say, someone like me who has studied the WT doctrines from a distance and found them wanting.

Not to mention that the book hasn't worked. JW's have just as many divorces as the general population.

Instead of droning through the whole book, why don't you cut to the chase and read together the advice for "divided households", (Chapter 11, Maintain Peace in Your Household). Discuss where your family is the same and different than the model offered here. Discuss your own fears and expectations.

Armed with the knowledge of how my husband has been advised, I remind him that he is a naturally good man, who makes good choices. He has not needed WT instruction to do that. Recently he's been trying harder to convince me to switch over to the Kingdom Hall. When he asked about my motives, I welcomed the conversation, but told him it would require work and a mutual review of Chapter 11. He's backed off. What I intend to show, if he mans up to it, is that I am NOT avoiding the Jehovah's Witnesses because he hasn't been kind or patient enough. I don't fit the mold, so there's another reason (it's not the truth). Is he ready to hear the reason?

• jgnat
    jgnat

Oh, yes, also to scratch off the list, you aren't avoiding the Witnesses because:

• You are apathetic about your spiritual state
    • You are immersed in materialistic pursuits
    • You are under the influence of Satan.

Convince her that you fit none of these categories!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit