Wife wants me to read Secret of Family Happiness, any suggestions?

by insearchoftruth 41 Replies latest watchtower bible

• insearchoftruth
    insearchoftruth

Hello, have been on this board for a few years, and now my wife is asking me to read the subject book with her.

It seems pretty 'vanilla' in my scan through it, seems to lift up the male headship issue a few times and of course the cure to all ill is to 'attend christian meetings'.

Am still working to fully open her eyes, anything in here I can use that may help, any conflicts with current doctrine I could possibly point out??

• carla
    carla

Sure, reinforce the headship thing then as the 'head' you can tell her you two need to skip out of a few meetings, do something fun and reconnect as a couple! All in the name of jah's marriage blah, blah, whatever......(sorry the correct jw speak has escaped me at the moment)

• Honesty
    Honesty

I agree with Carla.

Make plans to go out of town to some really fun places on the weekend several times a month.

Before you know it, she will be mentioning more fun things for you to do as a couple.

Within 6 months of having fun she will not want to go to those boring meetings and will

be making excuses on the weekends you stay at home.

once that starts give it a couple of weeks and start sking her open ended questions about

the Society. Leave doctrine out of it at first and focus on the Society.

• nugget
    nugget

I would say to her that it is great that she wants to get the best out of your marriage but since the secret of family happiness is a few years old it may be better to wait until the next edition as it may not contain current teachings.

In the meantime it would be nice to spend time as a couple really growing in love and appreciation of one another.

• AnneB
    AnneB

Ask her why the H she's directing you in what to do when the book teaches that the wife should be submissive to the husband so that he "may be won without a word"!!!

Remind her that it's what *you* want that matters to Jehovah, not what she wants.

If she wants to play the WT game let her pay the price.

• Reopened Mind
    Reopened Mind

Read it. Read it with her. Then put on your critical thinking cap and have a good discussion. O, and bring in other resources and get her opinion.

Reopened Mind

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

I love the advice given so far. I would add that if you feel confident in your Bible knowledge, you could feign interest even further by "taking the lead" and "exercising your headship" over a "regular, weekly, Family Worship Night(TM)" where the two of you read various passages from the Bible together and discuss them.

Be careful speaking Dubbish too much, though. Once you start speaking it there's the risk you will start thinking in it.

Good luck.

• White Dove
    White Dove

I like all the comments here.

I can't imagine that there was even one woman/wife/mother/daughter who agreed with everything in that book, especially when it came to bowing low before her husband/brother/father for the reasons mentioned in that book.

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

My first impulse would be to follow AnneB's advice. But being that 20/20 just had a piece on the IFB cult this past Friday evening, I'd be tempted to do what Reopened mind said, and use clips from that show.

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

Read it with her, and then start acting like Archie Bunker on steroids. Remind her each & every day that she must submit to your authority. Begin to micro-manage her and the household. She'll stop her silly charade soon enough.

Skeeter

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit