Does God speak to you? HOW?

by Quentin 189 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Quentin
    Quentin

By the way let's leave Satan out of this topic. Another thread can be started to deal with that.

• Aussie Oz
    Aussie Oz

No, God does not 'speak to me', AND, No God speaks to me.

I realized when i was dying inside, trapped and unhappy in the Organization that he did not care one bit. I cried, i prayed, i read the Bible, i studied.

I came to believe that God created us in his whatever way we theorise and left the building.

I am what i am and who i am. I can guide my own ship through life. My life is no better or worse than it was before, only different bcause of my choices i make. If there is a 'better', it is that i am free from a concept of being a sinner and needing salvation. I am free from feeling undeserving and worthless. I am free from having to consult an invisble entity as to what i should be doing with my life. I am free from worry about 'the next life and whether i have merrited some reward or punishment.

I do not need anybody to tell me i have worth, man or a god/supreme being/universal consciousness etc.

I speak to myself. I decide my conscience and my activities.

oz

• ProdigalSon
    ProdigalSon

Ever astral project? You won't find "God" because the Absolute is unknowable, but you will find a whole hierarchy of spirit beings including dead loved ones who have passed on.

Other than that, I'm highly suspicious of anyone who actually hears "voices". You just don't know where they're coming from, like the one David Berkowitz heard coming from his dog. People who meditate and contact their inner Monad describe it as a subtle and quiet "knowing", not an audible voice.

• snowbird
    snowbird

Thanks, WasBlind.

Sooner, I just LOVE you.

Syl

• White Dove
    White Dove

My god/dess speak to me through everything, except a book.

• unshackled
    unshackled

If I say God speaks to me and I to Him....no one would bat an eyelash. BUT, if I say God speaks to me and I to Him ONLY through my blow dryer....everyone would probably conclude I'm nuts. Really though, what would be the difference?

• designs
    designs

I've been having success channeling John Lee Hooker......Boom Boom Boom Boom

• simon17
    simon17

For everyone that has these experiences of God, why do you suppose he doesn't "talk" to all of us?

Answer #1: He does, you're just not listening. Well, that may be partially true, but clearly there are many athiests/agnostics who have searched and prayed as fervently as any believer ever has, and, after years, come up with nothing. So that is not sufficient.

Answer #2: Look at the wonders around you. Well, people have different reactions while appreciating the wonders of nature and humanity. Appreciating the science and natural phenomena at work is a common reaction. Subscribing them all to God is just another reaction, and one without physical evidence.

As the great Islamic thinker/writer Omar Khayyam said:

"And do you think that unto such as you;
    A maggot-minded, starved, fanatic crew:
    God gave the secret, and denied it me?--
    Well, well, what matters it! Believe that, too."

• FollowedMyHeart
    FollowedMyHeart

Aussie Oz: dying inside, trapped and unhappy. OMG, I almost started crying when I read that because that's exactly how I felt! (Although, at the time, I hadn't yet equated it with my religion.) That's why I left!

As far as God speaking to me, being a born-in I prayed for most of my life. I never "heard" or felt any kind of communication from Him. At assemblies, or being presented with something great about the brotherhood I would get a kind of excited, welling-up feeling (is that said right?). Since I had nothing else to go on, I assumed that had to be God's holy spirit over His chosen people.

After I left, I accompanied my ex-Mormon husband to his son's missionary send-off meeting in Provo. In that large room filled with well over 100 people, watching a film about their missionary service and brotherhood, I got that same excited feeling! So if what I experienced as a JW, was the HS on God's chosen JWs, why was I feeling the same thing "in Christendom"?

That told me that it wasn't the holy spirit. It was an emotional experience created by the crowd. Sort of like a mob mentality.

So I don't believe god talks to us. If a sincere girl who's desperately trying to do the right thing can't get an answer, what else is there?

edited: Great topic, BTW, as I have wondered the same thing.

• Quentin
    Quentin

Really though, what would be the difference?.....unshackled

Would depend on the wattage of the blow dryer and if you were standing in a bath tub of water....

What I want to see is Terry's post card from God. All the years I've known him he's never told me he got one.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit