The futility of political debate on an ex-JW forum

by willyloman 55 Replies latest jw friends

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Part of the point is that we all learned to think for ourselves and won't let someone else dictate to us anymore.
    SO why be upset that some are conservatives or liberals or something inbetween?

Why do people who go down such diverse paths have to be considered idiots to those on other paths?

• lifeisgood
    lifeisgood

Band on the Run,

"Now, I know members here sometimes believe in the Tea Party."

So, what is your point?

We have a very simple platform. We want a balanced budget as soon as possible. No ifs, ands, or buts. Clinton's last budget was 1.9 trillion dollars. Obamas current budget, ten years later, is 3.5 trillion dollars. You don't see a problem with that? This spending level is not sustainable. Any 7th grade math student can tell us that.

I will say this as clearly as possible. "Yes, we want a balanced federal budget as soon as possible".

We don't say how to achieve this, that is the politicians' job. It looks like they refuse to get serious about this, which means that a lot of them won't be getting re-elected.

Detractors claim that we want to balance the budget by cutting all the 'liberal' programs, for example aid to all the needy. We never said that, nor do we believe that. For now, we are leaving the means to balance the budget up to the politicians. But, they are not taking this seriously, so the next election will see a lot of these people coming home, unless they get serious about this. The defiicit is so large that all programs have to be substantially cut. Not a political agenda, a fact.

Tell me how we are wrong on this issue.

This is not a new stance for me, I have always wanted a balanced budget, and I am not a Republican, so bringing up all the errors that the Republicans made in the past won't cut it. Yes, the Republicans are traitors and idiots, so what? I think worse things about the Democrats. The only thing that matters to us is they have to balance the budget now, what happened last year, or the year before that, or five years ago is irrelevent.

• Giordano
    Giordano

I am going to agree with James. I found that I no longer care to even read the political threads because my connection to my fellow ex JW's is immediately broken under the weight of nasty rebukes by a handful of people who do not demonstrate any growth what so ever. They sound like what they were and apparently still are........... brain washed JW's smug in their ignorance.

I also agree with Band on the Run........I am interested in what my fellow JW's have to say about politics. But for now We are about five losers away from being able to have a meaningful discussion about what this country needs or can be. Untill civility enters into the discussion I'll pass.

Hopefully a few more will be banned at least for the vile language that too often shows up. Nor am I particually happy that they change their names and show back up again.

• Justitia Themis
    Justitia Themis

we all learned to think for ourselves

Because many haven't learned to think for themselves. They have simply exchanged a religious pen for a political pen, but they are still stuck in a pen.

OTWO wrote: Why do people who go down such diverse paths have to be considered idiots to those on other paths?

JT wrote: It makes sense that those who are attracted to a religious black/white dichotomy manifest such tendencies in other parts of their lives

• lifeisgood
    lifeisgood

Giordano,

There are three or four people who come into any thread containing intelligent discussion on politics and fill it up with their nonsense. If these idiots were banned, then we could actually discuss things.

• NomadSoul
    NomadSoul

Justitia,

Linking the ex-JW experience for someone's position and expression of their political views does not have it's validity. That's why simple simple comment of. 'HAVE YOU EVER BEEN TO OTHER POLITICAL FORUMS'? Most political forums have heated debates and people get personal. That's nothing peculiar the the JWN forum!

• zoiks
    zoiks

Giordano's first paragraph reflects my thoughts exactly.

• sammielee24
    sammielee24

It's sad to think that you would consider any topic, including political, as futile to any person. You can look at opinions as futile or as a learning tool. Choice.

There are ex-JW's on this board, but there are also spouses of JW's, friends of JW's, members of other religions and/or cults and interested folks.

There are categories into which a person can dive and others that they have a choice to ignore - their choice.

Not everyone chooses to comment on JW topics of discussion - it doesn't mean they don't read them and discuss them privately. Many topics are open and not closed - for that reason perhaps many people choose not to use the open forum and stick to the members section, including politics.

There is no need for some of the name calling or language in some forums - political is just one of those.

sammies

---------------------

Jehovah's Witness Discussion Forum

The place to discuss anything relating to Jehovah's Witnesses and the WatchTower Bible and Tract Society... or just make new friends!

• keyser soze
    keyser soze

I've pretty much stopped posting on all political threads. I can't remember the last one that didn't deteriorate into a pissing match. It's always the same people involved. Civility and meaningful dialogue goes right out the window. It's not about exchanging ideas, it's about getting the last word in.

• Justitia Themis
    Justitia Themis

That's nothing peculiar the the JWN forum!

I didn't say it was particular to the JWN forum. What happens on other forums is irrelvant.

Willy's comment is in part questioning why we, with our unique past experiences, sucuumb to such partisan bickering on this forum as opposed to learning from our mistakes.

Justitia,

Linking the ex-JW experience for someone's position and expression of their political views does not have it's validity.

Not only is the link incredibly valid, but such links between religious leanings and experiences and resultant political choices are routinely studied by social and political scientists.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit