The futility of political debate on an ex-JW forum

by willyloman 55 Replies latest jw friends

• Justitia Themis
    Justitia Themis

You are on the homestretch. After first year, it is a snooze. I recall that I never watched TV first year, while 3d year students gathered together to watch the nightly news. Working is a cinch after 1st year. It is hazing.

Thank you Band. I know it's hazing; I'm pretty familiar with the process since my youngest daughter is a prosecutor in San Diego. My husband was speaking this week with the ER director at a local hospital, and the doctor inquired as to how I was doing in school. The conversation then turned to the doctor's first year of medical school. My husband said it was amazing to watch this incredibly confident, educated man regress before his eyes and speak of how "they emotionally hurt him."

I think doctors and lawyers understand each other so well because we are the only two professions who go through such a process. I have termed it "intellectual water-boarding." :)

• james_woods
    james_woods
    I think doctors and lawyers understand each other so well because we are the only two professions who go through such a process. I have termed it "intellectual water-boarding." :)

Learning how to fly an airplane may approach the experience. It is sort of like being fried eggs or ham steak - the contributing pig has a lot more soul in the game than the contributing chicken.

At least until Sunday Dinner.

• Cagefighter
    Cagefighter

The problem is when people start talking politics on this board they can't just express their opinions and leave it at that or have intelligent or honest debate. If it doesn't end with a "return visit" or conversion they will slander those they disagree with and make ad hominem attacks till Simon locks the thread. Remeber the things we would say about people that didn't take our stupid magazines as soon as we got back in the mini-van?

Same game, different arena for most folks on here.

-Cage

• worldtraveller
    worldtraveller

Life is good quote:"Tell me how we are wrong on this issue."

I think you will just have to learn this for yourself. Perhaps a visit to "The Daily Show" might help.

Maybe not.

• james_woods
    james_woods

World Traveler still is off topic.

Amazing to see someone from British Columbia so adamant about U.S. politics - and still stubbornly off topic.

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee
    Learning how to fly an airplane

James Woods is off topic. By his own criteria. Personally, I think is little digression is good for the soul.

• worldtraveller
    worldtraveller

My apologies to the "thread police".

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee
    My apologies to the "thread police".

I believe this is an entirely unofficial position that, for some reason, J Woods has assumed. If it is officially designated, I unilaterally withdraw my comment.

• CoonDawg
    CoonDawg

disgust

lifeisgood said:

"Some with agendas beyond balancing the budget seem to have carved out groups of followers - or simply used tea party support to carry out their own agendas."

And? Groups of followers? What are you talking about? You are just making this crap up.

Oh, that's right...BizzyBee was the one who gave a reasonable response to my answer to you on THIS THREAD. My mistake for using you at the center of my argument for civility and reasonableness.

• james_woods
    james_woods

I believe this is an entirely unofficial position that, for some reason, J Woods has assumed. If it is officially designated, I unilaterally withdraw my comment.

The topic police are authorized by the same controlling authority as the governing body. We appointed ourselves.

BTW - we also make up our own rules as we go along -

For this reason, comments about Ferrari or Airplanes are never off topic.

BeksBks was the only good citizen to learn this, and sadly - now she is gone.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit