The futility of political debate on an ex-JW forum

by willyloman 55 Replies latest jw friends

• tec
    tec

I would like to make an observation from an outsider pov.

It would seem that any organization tends to be defined by its loudest and most extreme members. Which is unfortunate, because whatever good is among them tends to be drowned out. Then those who are quiet are not only trying to make a change, but they are fighting against those who are giving their entire purpose a bad rap.

Tammy

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

When I watch Tea Baggers on TV, the budget is rarely mentioned. Almost all of the hoopla is about a side issue, birth of Obama. From what I know of economics, life is not so simple. Fiscal restraint, balanced with growth, is an important concern.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

00 Justimia Themis,

You are on the homestretch. After first year, it is a snooze. I recall that I never watched TV first year, while 3d year students gathered together to watch the nightly news. Working is a cinch after 1st year. It is hazing.

My finals were very surprising. They were not difficult but profs grade on a mandatory bell curve. Typically, out of 500 points, an A to a D would be divided by only four points. You realize how arbitrary it all is. I did well but I'm compulsive. Never did I think I mastered the subject better than someone else.

I'm still friends with classmates. It was the first place I ever fit in completely. Best of luck (you will need it). Actually, I was stunned by how easy it was.

• cult classic
    cult classic

There are a few posters who spoil entire political threads with their nastiness. I was actually surprised at the tone of some of the political threads on JWN. It would be nice if more members felt welcome to share their ideas, opinions and questions on those threads.

• d
    d

People should do their research before making such crazy claims.Believe nothing and question everything.

• james_woods
    james_woods

This thread went off topic practically on the first page.

It has now descended into a Tea Party debate - the subject was: "The futility of political debate on an ex-JW forum".

The eyes of the Texas Topic Ranger are upon you.

Thank you for your polite language and cooperation.

• DaCheech
    DaCheech
    It's sad to think that you would consider any topic, including political, as futile to any person. You can look at opinions as futile or as a learning tool. Choice.

it's these name calling that got me to barely post on JWN any more.

I was once called a racist, because I said that Obama's smoking habits made him a reverse-rolemodel for my kids, and I would keep them away from smokers such as himself.

• CoonDawg
    CoonDawg

I'm only going to weigh in to reiterate that for me, becoming politically aware was a huge part of gaining my independence and of rebelling against the idea that politics are futile. Getting involved at the local level is a fantastic thing. That's where your involvement can really make a difference. I applaud lifeisgood for making the effort to do SOMETHING! Too many sit on the sidelines and bitch. They actually buy into the idea that the media sells: whoever can shout the other side down, regardless of facts, wins. In order to ever solve any of our huge problems, there does have to be dialogue. Someone must be willing to lower their gun before there can be some sense of civility. My discussions with lifeisgood were balanced and stayed civil. She asked for clarification when I disagreed, and we ended up realizing that we did, in fact, agree - we just had to communicate a little bit clearer to one another.

I encourage everyone to get involved in politics - especially at the local level. I firmly believe that change comes most effectively from the ground up. Fighting these inane battles that are put before us from the national scene is just stupid. Of course we all have opinions, but will our opinions on those national issues REALLY make a difference? How much more good could you do if you put your energy into volunteering to be on a mayoral advisory committee? How about being a voice at local city council or school board meetings? Seriously, if you want to see change that can directly impact the lives of you and your neighbors, find out what it's like to get in the trenches and make it happen.

Trying to give young people an appreciation for the democratic process - no matter their views - is one of the primary reasons why I became an education major. Too many unplug from the system and just let the shouters on both sides dictate what their lives will be like. I will consider my life well spent if I can just have one or two really take their civic responsibilities seriously.

Oh, and as for the tea partiers - well, I think we all realize that the grass roots movement has a wide range of people. Some with agendas beyond balancing the budget seem to have carved out groups of followers - or simply used tea party support to carry out their own agendas. It doesn't mean that the fiscal goals of the tea partiers is bad. I'd sure like to see a balanced budget as well - even if I don't identify myself as a tea partier.

• james_woods
    james_woods

Very nice post, CoonDawg - and a good (no, great) example of how a political thread can rise above futility.

• lifeisgood
    lifeisgood

Band on the Run,

"When I watch Tea Baggers on TV, the budget is rarely mentioned. Almost all of the hoopla is about a side issue, birth of Obama. From what I know of economics, life is not so simple. Fiscal restraint, balanced with growth, is an important concern".

Funny, I have never seen anyone from any tea party, anywhere, talk about this issue. So, either you are getting this information from one of the wack job 'news' channels or you are just making this up.

Our agenda is that we want a balanced federal budget as soon as possible.

tec,

"It would seem that any organization tends to be defined by its loudest and most extreme members. Which is unfortunate, because whatever good is among them tends to be drowned out. Then those who are quiet are not only trying to make a change, but they are fighting against those who are giving their entire purpose a bad rap".

Unfortunately, all the claims that are being made about what these 'loudest and most extreme members' are lies. I have said repeatedly to the liars making these claims "prove it" and they don't respond. There is no such proof because such things are not happening.

coondawg,

"Some with agendas beyond balancing the budget seem to have carved out groups of followers - or simply used tea party support to carry out their own agendas."

And? Groups of followers? What are you talking about? You are just making this crap up.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit