Are atheists less imaginative about the unknown?

by sabastious 140 Replies latest jw friends

• sabastious
    sabastious

Almost every atheist I have ever come across I can get along with well. I love to debate and talk about the world around us and they seem to as well, but I feel like I get a lot of "eye rolls" from the atheists I speak to.

It's ironic that I am six feet six inches tall because I would describe myself as a man with his head in the clouds. It's up there most of the time and I feel at home when thinking of the future. Maybe it's a habit I picked up from being a raised a Witness; contantly looking to greener pastures.

Don't get me wrong, I heavily invest my thoughts to solutions as well as hypothesis. I would say I am less idealistic than I once was (I give the atheists credit for helping me with that), but I don't want to give up anymore idealism. I want to help some of the lofty ideals I have been brewing up come to fruition and that is going to take some serious intuition and strategy.

I guess I have found atheists to be generally welcoming, but they seem frightened by "left field thinking." But as long as you keep yourself grounded and within reality we can still dabble within the world of the unexplained without going overboard.

As EX Witnesses I don't think I need to describe what "going overboard" can entail.

-Sab

• simon17
    simon17

Can you give an example of a "left-field" thought that you've found athiests unwilling to consider?

• NomadSoul
    NomadSoul

I'm sorry, but I'm just going to laugh at this one. LOL

• VampireDCLXV
    VampireDCLXV

I'm totally with you there, Sab.

Never mind trying to speak with them of the possible existence of a supreme being/creator or the spirit world; a hardcore scientific atheist will have a hard time even speaking about the possibilities laid out in science fiction. You might as well talk to a brick wall.

Maybe it's my ADHD that doesn't allow for a more completely rational/logical frame of mind but I enjoy my own types of creativity and free thinking. OTOH, I strive to avoid the traps of religious mumbo jumbo or wild conspiracy theory.

Thumbs up to ya.

V665V665

• sabastious
    sabastious
    Can you give an example of a "left-field" thought that you've found athiests unwilling to consider?

It's not that they are unwilling. They just seem overtly cautious about "unproven" concepts or personal experience. I think their caution is merrited, but the over caution can be limiting, imo.

Example Hypothesis: Some people are more lucky than others.

Now I already know the mathmatical answer to this question, but I have seen mathmatics cower in the face of some people consistantly enough to make me think twice. This leads me down a "left field" thought process that certain people may have an effect on the laws of probability. Which is a facinating and imaginative concept to truly think about or research, but it most definitely will get me some eye rolls from my atheistic friends, and possibly some opposition.

-Sab

• sabastious
    sabastious
    I'm sorry, but I'm just going to laugh at this one. LOL

With me or at me?

-Sab

• sabastious
    sabastious
    I strive to avoid the traps of religious mumbo jumbo or wild conspiracy theory.

I'm with you there. Conspiracy theories are mind-numbing for me since they never have any real answers, just fear. Wait a second that's how religion works too!

-Sab

• unshackled
    unshackled

a hardcore scientific atheist will have a hard time even speaking about the possibilities laid out in science fiction. You might as well talk to a brick wall.

I think this is a broad generalization. Maybe the people you know specifically, but don't think all atheists can be painted with that brush so easily.

Carl Sagan wrote science fiction, Contact.

Edit: forgot the quote format...

• sabastious
    sabastious
    I think this is a broad generalization. Maybe the people you know specifically, but don't think all atheists can be painted with that brush so easily.

Sounds like a Christian defending his faith! hehe

-Sab

• Psychotic Parrot
    Psychotic Parrot

WRONG WRONG WRONG!

Atheists do not say there is no god, they simply do not happen to believe in one, they can be just as open to the idea of one as any theist & have the same capacity for leftfield thinking.

I will go out on a limb & wager that you know just as many unimaginitive theists, but simply don't notice them due to confirmation bias.

NEVER GENERALISE. Atheists are arguably the most diverse group of any kind on the planet. There are imaginitive ones, open to the idea of god & all sorts of other shit, (& unlike theists, not bound by the FEAR that belief in god induces), & there are unimaginitive atheists. Same goes with theists too, so yeah.

I am a parrot, but i think outside the cage.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit