I'm Starting To Understand Atheist and Evolution

by Philadelphia Ponos 106 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Philadelphia Ponos
    Philadelphia Ponos

For many years I was sincerely perplexed when someone told me they believed in the evolution theory or were an Atheist. I never understood how someone could ignore all the evidence for intelligent design and overlook all the holes in the evolution theory. For example, the human biology clock is synced with the rotation of the earth, the earth is the perfect distance away from the sun to sustain life, the earth has an ozone layer to protect us from the sun's radiation, the earth naturally produces fruits and vegetables to be used for food, our bodies produce enzymes to break down the fruits and vegetables so it can nourish us, the earth produces water and oxygen, etc. All of this to me is clear evidence that the earth was specifically designed for human life. A logical person can't look at all the evidence for intelligent design and say all of this came from a big bang. How can gases mixing together or energy heating produce intelligent beings? How can intelligence come from unintelligence? Until now I honestly could never understand how someone could make a case for Evolution or Atheism.

I've now learned that the vast majority of people who are Atheist or promote the evolution theory are people who had bad experiences with religion. These would be people who've been ex-communicated by friends or family members (shunning), molested or abused by a clergy member, a victim of religious violence such as Islamic terrorism, or religious hatred such as what a homosexual receives. I've learned that it is these traumatic events that a person experiences in their lives that makes them abandon logic and start basing their belief in Atheism or the evolution theory on emotion. How often do you hear someone say "I don't believe in God because there's too much suffering in the world" or "If God was real this or that would of never happened", these are emotional arguments and does nothing to disprove all the facts that point to intelligent design. If you think for a second about the most prominent Atheist on this forum and in the world, you'll see that they all on some level had a bad experience with religion.

• sizemik
    sizemik

I'm Starting To Understand Atheist and Evolution

. . . you got a long way to go

Luvonyall - MS

• goddidit
    goddidit

you are either a fool or a liar

• wyorobert
    wyorobert

I enjoyed your post, but think it is a bit of an oversimplification to say Atheists exist primarily because they had a bad experience with religion. I understand why you would have that impression. It is often the catalyst that makes people want to look behind the curtain.

I have no desire to convert anyone to my way of thinking, but I also know that I am incapable of deciding there is a God because everything in the Universe is so amazing. On some level I envy your ability to believe in a God, but at the same time I think it requires a certain naivety. At some point there has to be a beginning.

If there was intelligent design then where did that entity come from? Even if there was intelligent design, does that automatically mean there is a God or just some really smart being who died long ago? Please understand that I respect your beliefs, and I seek no converts. I do however enjoy having a forum that allows me to have these conversations. Maybe someday someone will find the logic to convince me that God exists. Maybe someday I will find out that UFO's are here from another planet. I hope to always have an open mind about anything and everything, but in the meantime, I respectfully disagree with your assertion and hope you will continue to make your points. I've never understood why everyone thinks we all have to have the same beliefs. I think it is fantastic that we all contribute from a different point of view. The only issue I have is with religions who seek to promote their beliefs at the expense of mine.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

You have made it way too simple, and show a lack of understanding of people's beliefs and of evolution. It is not a case of there is a God or there is evolution. People don't say I believe in evolution because of wickedness, they will say they do not believe in the all powerful/loving God that is preached by religion.

For example, the human biology clock is synced with the rotation of the earth, the earth is the perfect distance away from the sun to sustain life, the earth has an ozone layer to protect us from the sun's radiation, the earth naturally produces fruits and vegetables to be used for food, our bodies produce enzymes to break down the fruits and vegetables so it can nourish us, the earth produces water and oxygen, etc. All of this to me is clear evidence that the earth was specifically designed for human life

Those points are not evidence either way as they can indicated either evolution or creation. From the evolutionist perspective, the reason the earth is the perfect distance from the sun for our life forms is because our lifeforms evolved to suit those conditions. If the earth was a slightly different distance life would have evolved slightly differently. If it was vastly different life would probably not have evolved at all.

• Philadelphia Ponos
    Philadelphia Ponos
    From the evolutionist perspective, the reason the earth is the perfect distance from the sun for our life forms is because our lifeforms evolved to suit those conditions. If the earth was a slightly different distance life would have evolved slightly differently. If it was vastly different life would probably not have evolved at all.

I don't understand why you would think that considering that there are over 1,000 known planets and absolutely none of them show any signs of life.

• xcellxior
    xcellxior

" I've learned that it is these traumatic events that a person experiences in their lives that makes them abandon logic and start basing their belief in Atheism or the evolution theory on emotion."

Actually the reverse is true. Atheists embrace logic and take a pragmatic, evidence based approach rather than base their beliefs on a book written in the bronze age.

If logic makes you believe that the universe is only possible with God being involved then what made God?

I also used to be like you and ask "How could anyone believe that etc... etc.. etc... theory blah blah blah". Then I realised my bias against it was created by the WT organization and not on my own understanding. Perhaps the same is true of you? Have you independently examined the evidence/fossil records?

Interestingly most main stream religions now accept evolution as the method by which God "created" or "molded" life.

While I am probably agnostic, I now accept that there is compelling evidence supporting evolution and have an open mind.

• trevor
    trevor

Philadelphia Ponos Many Christians believe in evolution while holding on to belief in a god as described in the bible. Other people want to believe in a god but are unable to find evidence of such a being.

That is not to say that intelligence is not at work throughout the universe. But the idea of a personal god that is in charge of the universe and yet talks to humans, does not add up.

Perhaps a more thorough study of evolution will help you to see the part it plays in the development of the world.

• J. Hofer
    J. Hofer

you don't even understand logic, so how would you understand evolution or atheism.

the argument about the earth being "the perfect distance away from the sun" actually is an argument for evolution. if god made it all, it wouldn't matter how far earth is away from the sun. "unintelligent" evolution on the other hand needs certain conditions to succeed.

same goes for all the rest of your "evidence", it's like a fox finding a random hole and thinking to himself "i perfectly fit into this hole, some intelligent designer must have created it".

atheism is not some kind of being mad at god (because of suffering etc.), that wouldn't be atheism at all, but still theism, albeit with a negative view of god. atheism simply is the lack of belief in any god, about the same as you don't believe in ra, wotan or kukulkan - because there's just not enough evidence to support this belief.

it's really simple, actually. but you'd need to learn logic first, and start using your brain, which - granted - is kinda hard when you are so used to having others think for you.

• Anony Mous
    Anony Mous

Evolution makes more sense if you look at the cosmic scale. Intelligent design is needed to build the earth in 6 days (RCC) or 6000 days (JW) and the religious or at least biblical view is that only the earth was made perfectly ready for life. Why would God need billions of years and only occasionally put life forms in, be going from simple to complicated only to destroy them a couple of eons later with a meteorite.

Radiometric age dating has put the earth at 4.5 billion years, plenty of time for something to happen. Recently claims have been made that fossils of early life (bacterium) were found on meteorites (although the sources are shaky at best) and it's possible that life is or has evolved at some point somewhere in the Universe. The thing about finding it is that we can only scan a minute amount of the skies at any given time and that it takes forever for signals to get here if the technology on the other side would ever evolve at the same time and the same way (currently the only thing we can detect is very, very powerful and directed radio signals while other solutions could be used by slightly more evolved life forms such as light, antimatter or proton streams) into our narrow timescale (we've only been looking for less than 100 years) and if it even would ever be reached and detected by our current technology (it's far, very, very far, it needs to reach us at a very exact moment and specifically or accidentally directed to us and the signals would be weak, very, very weak if at all decodable from noise).

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit