Were you SPANKED?

by unshackled 36 Replies latest jw friends

• unshackled
    unshackled

Last time I checked, that was the Biblical point of view.

True enough. Biblical views but JWs seem to take it to another level...the everything is evil outside of us thing. Your comment kinda jumped out at me with that vibe, but a wrong assumption on my part.

but there is no doubt that their lack of discipline (spanking or otherwise) as a child direclty correlates to their current lack of social/societal stability.

For sure, discipline along with ethical and moral guidance is key. Wonder though if spanking is at all needed, or has a possible negative effect? I'm not a parent yet, but think I'd prefer discipline without physical punishment.
  • PublishingCult
    PublishingCult
    I got the shat beat out of me for any infraction during the meeting. Got my ass handed to me even for sitting there during the talk and looking unhappy. Yup.

Ditto.

When I was a teenager I had the occasion at a District Convention to be introduced by my mother to a sister who attended the same congregation I was born in. I vaguely remembered this elderly sister, but she was creepy. With a Stepford smile she said, rather fondly actually, that she could remember, that, when I was a baby, I had "the most blood-curdling scream" when my mother would take me into the bathroom to be spanked for disturbing the meeting.

I am so glad my wonderfully designed brain has blocked out the trauma and abuse of my infancy and toddlerhood. These days, I can only really remember the emotional and mental abuse that came later in my adolescent years. But, yes, a congregation of loving Christians will stand by gleefully while a mere child gets their ass tore up for being fussy during a cult meeting.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Were you SPANKED?

Yes, I was whooped (that means spanked) by my jw parental units and my husband was beaten by his crazy nonjw single mother...(she still crazy).

• dontplaceliterature
    dontplaceliterature

@unshackled

I think it really depends on the child. Some children don't respond to verbal admonition, "time-out" or variations thereof, or reproof but respond very well to physical discipline.

I'm sure that most children change as they mature. So, I guess the trick would be in paying enough attention to your child's response to see if something was working still, or if it needed to be changed.

I'm sure that in most cases a healthy mix would do the trick. I also would prefer to lead with admonition and reproof, with physical discipline as a last resort. (That sounds like it came out of a Watchtower )

• unshackled
    unshackled

My wife grew up a non-JW and she too receiving spankings.

Seems like it was more common years ago, JW or not. But wonder if it was more prevalent within JWs, due to biblical support for it? Or religion in general?

I remember Dr. Spock was always vilified by the WT for his stance against physical punishment. Like it was such evil thing to say "maybe you don't need to beat your kids".

• flipper
    flipper

Just joking with my first post . But seriously, as a child my elder dad spanked me occasionally. Not as bad as a lot of JW kids. I received my last spanking at age 12 . I think it was with a belt to my anus. But fortunately - he let me keep my pants on. My mom was much more mellow in discipline than my dad.

I never believed in spanking as a parent myself raising my kids. I used more restrictions or sending them to their bedroom for awhile until they piped down. I didn't allow brat attacks. I would send them to their room and tell them that when they decided to be polite, respectful, and nice- THEN they would be allowed to come join the family. Usually they only stayed in their room 15 to 30 minutes

• jam
    jam

Speaking for all the parent that pulled your ears, flicked your ears,

slap you on the back of your nogood, we have A reprieve. A study

conduted by Psychology Professor Marjorie Gunnoe at Calvin college

in Grand Ripids Michigan in 2010, Foxnews. com reports on the story.

According to the research, children spanked up to the age of 6

were likely as teenagers to perform better at school and were

more likely to carry out volunteer work and want to go to

college than their peers who had never been physically

disciplined. So there you have it. My kids felt the same as you guys.

I showed them the article. But seriously, we thought we were

doing the right thing.

• WontLeave
    WontLeave

As typical JWs, my parents were complete losers. They took their financial frustrations and self-esteem issues out on us all the time. It didn't take long to realize there was precious little correlation between our actions and beatings that would land a parent in prison without the iron veil of JW secrecy. The only things we got out of our constant abuse were - in this order: confusion, frustration, fear, hatred, anger, and finally apathy. The psychological and spiritual damage wrought upon us took/is taking decades to recover from. Actually, one benefit of being raised by wolves is I learned not to automatically trust those who are supposed to have my best interests at heart and not to grant unconditional love to someone who doesn't deserve it.

I'm thoroughly convinced these emotional issues are "the root of all sorts of injurious things" among JWs. The backstabbing, tattling, judgmental, gestapo attitude that prevails is a knee-jerk reaction. In order to console their shattered self-worth, JWs lash out at others, whether overtly on their children or passive-aggressively on their "brothers". Retard, loser elders lord their artificial position over the congregation. They rule with as iron a fist as current social circumstances allow. They are no different than Inquisitors of the Middle Ages, other than what the law allows them to do. They get away with all they can at the expense of the flock. The day will eventually come when they will be loosed from the governmental bonds that control them, then their true colors will be revealed. The Great Tribulation will include a "Super Inquisition" and the WBTS will demonstrate they are indeed part of Babylon the Great, when they perform atrocities that rival or exceed anything before seen in human history. All under the guise of "theocratic warfare".

• PublishingCult
    PublishingCult
    I'm thoroughly convinced these emotional issues are "the root of all sorts of injurious things" among JWs. The backstabbing, tattling, judgmental, gestapo attitude that prevails is a knee-jerk reaction. In order to console their shattered self-worth, JWs lash out at others, whether overtly on their children or passive-aggressively on their "brothers". Retard, loser elders lord their artificial position over the congregation. They rule with as iron a fist as current social circumstances allow. They are no different than Inquisitors of the Middle Ages, other than what the law allows them to do. They get away with all they can at the expense of the flock. The day will eventually come when they will be loosed from the governmental bonds that control them, then their true colors will be revealed. The Great Tribulation will include a "Super Inquisition" and the WBTS will demonstrate they are indeed part of Babylon the Great, when they perform atrocities that rival or exceed anything before seen in human history. All under the guise of "theocratic warfare".

I fear you might have something there.

• aSphereisnotaCircle
    aSphereisnotaCircle

It's up to a parent to determine what works best, and do that, I think.

Just because you can reproduce, doesn't mean you know diddly about child care.

Only SOME parents know whats best for their child.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit