Were you SPANKED?

by unshackled 36 Replies latest jw friends

• unshackled
    unshackled

Don't get all excited...I don't mean lastnight. But were you spanked as a child? Were you a born-in JW or not?

Spankings were a regular occurence in my family, and don't think that was uncommon for born-in JWs. My parents loved the line "we spank you because we love you." And their favorite scripture to quote, don't recall it exactly, but He says "use the rod". Then there was the song about youth (forgot the title) that used that heart-warming line "he says use the rod". Sung in a happy little jingle....creepy.

The worst spankings were the ones that came AFTER a meeting. You'd be threatened in the meeting "you're getting a spanking when we get home". Then you'd sweat out the rest of the meeting, for once NOT wanting it to end. Then the ride home and agony hoping that they forgot. Sometimes they'd follow thru, sometimes not. But the waiting was cruel.

Anyhoo...that was my experiences. Anyone else? Curious if spankings were more common amongst JWs than society in general? Also, is it just the times changing...is spanking just as common today amongst JWs as it was 20 years ago?

• sabastious
    sabastious
    Don't get all excited...I don't mean lastnight. But were you spanked as a child? Were you a born-in JW or not?

Physical punishment was very common in my family. Many a time my mother chased me around the house with a metal clothes hanger or the belt. To her defense I could be, and was, a complete ass at times.

-Sab

• headisspinning
    headisspinning

Hey Unshackled,

I just asked a similar question the other day (See: 'Then & Now').

I too remember the agony of waiting for an after-the-meeting spanking. Such torture!

Although, I also remember getting a beating with my mother's sandal in the ladies' room at the Assembly Hall... :(

• Iamallcool
    Iamallcool

YES. I was born in JW.

• Mr. Falcon
    Mr. Falcon

I got the shat beat out of me for any infraction during the meeting. Got my ass handed to me even for sitting there during the talk and looking unhappy. Yup.

• sabastious
    sabastious
    Got my ass handed to me even for sitting there during the talk and looking unhappy. Yup.

Were you able to create a happy face that would appease them? Or did you just start desperately trying to enjoy the services? That's what I did and it was really hard. Eventually I started getting into it. Congregation's are very political and it was kind of a fun game for me. Ended in tears though so I think "it's all fun and games until someone loses an eye" fits well here.

-Sab

• cyberjesus
    cyberjesus

spanked, ears pulled, sideburns pulled, my dad used the belt sometimes and my mom once throw the iron at me .... i guess I made her really mad... but she missed. and my dad got so upset once he was gonna hit me with his fist on my leg but I was faster than him and moved it away, he hit the iron bed support... he broke his hand.... take that Fruits of the Spirit.

• mythreesons
    mythreesons

Yes...everyday and twice on Sundays!

Seriously though, Spanking were a normal part of life in our house until I was a teenager. Then it was mind games all the time! I was born-in too. "Spare the rod spoil the child" and "It hurts me more than you" and "I do this because I love you" were all common sayings from my parents.

edited for: also ears flicked at meetings, was knocked through a bathroom stall door, whipped with belts, 2 x 4's, switches (sticks), shoes, closed fist twice to the face, saw my dad kick my mom (he was the P.O.)....and I was "a good kid" that's what my parents told me.

• Mr. Falcon
    Mr. Falcon

Were you able to create a happy face that would appease them? Or did you just start desperately trying to enjoy the services?

nah, couldn't do. Just got beat harder. Pop was gunning for elder and his son's discontent was obviously hurting his campaigning.

• DanaBug
    DanaBug

Yep, along with my brother and sister, after every meeting as I remember and for anything else that was deemed worthy of one, at least once a day. Where we live, DFCS family and children services will get called on you if you spank in public, so I assume it's done less or at least in private. One JW mom got them called on her after she smacked her baby on the face for biting her while breastfeeding. She wondered how else to teach her baby not to bite her. Well, I can think of a number of ways that don't involve hitting. Spanking is just lazy parenting, plain and simple. You're only teaching to obey, not why something is wrong to do. Okay, rant over.

My fiance, who was never involved with JWs at all, was spanked but rarely and only for major things.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit