what was the worst meeting you ever attended ?

by man in black 52 Replies latest jw experiences

• NomadSoul
    NomadSoul

Wow those are some stories!

I don't really have a "worst" meeting. I guess the last few bible studies where I stopped participating and the elder would call out on me after no one was asnwering the questions. It annoyed the hell out of me. Then the worst assembly was when I decided I didn't want to wear a tie or a suit, I got hell from plenty of people.

• im stuck in
    im stuck in

Every last F n one of them! Really though there were a lot that I hated. When I was a kid we used to go to unassigned territory for the day on Sunday and then at 5 pm have the meeting in that territory as a kid it took my whole Sunday and I absolutely hated it. I would much rather have played ball or rode my bike. stuck in

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

3 worst

interpreting the funeral talk for a dear friend who died of cancer

going to a meeting 5 years after I was DFed (I thought I was going to try to be reinstated) and as I sat at the back of the hall the PO asked my husband up onto the platform to read the WT and then say the prayer. Plus his new wife sat slightly behind me and bored her eyeballs into the back of my head during the entire meeting - last meeting I went to there I'll tell ya

October 1st or maybe 2nd 1975 Special Annual Meeting of WTS - talk discussed how the end would not come immediately after all. They forgot to calculate the time between Adam's creation and the end of the seventh day. I walked out of there shaking my head and wondering why someone had just spun it around and screwed it on backwards

• wasblind
    wasblind

LOL @ LadyLee,

You mean to tell me that the Holy Spirit forgot to direct the WTS to calculate the time between adam's creation and end of the seventh day?

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

well they didn't exactly admit that they made a mistake - it was "new light" you know. That one that keeps getting brighter

So from the summer conventions when they were saying it was "weeks or maybe months away" they were now to "years but we don't know how many"

And like fools we believed them and walked out happy that we had new light and more time to go wake people up. I don't think I ever got my head turned back the right way though . . . until after I left

• VanillaMocha73
    VanillaMocha73

The last Memorial I went to - we had to pick up my son after and so I drug the new husband in to see what it was like. I have never been so depressed - the monotone talk with no joy, and then the rejection of the blood and body of Jesus, and then another song with no joy, and then 95% of the people acting like they couldn't see me, or glaring at me. Never again ... never.

• ziddina
    ziddina

Wow....

Great examples!!!

But I just had to comment on this one:

"...but the worst was toward the end of my "JW career", when a brother had a stroke on stage. When the ambulance came and the firemen were wheeling him out on the gurney, the elders insisted on continuing the meeting and giving talks. I thought it was so inappropriate and I was embarrassed that [the elders] could not stop the meeting for 10 minutes while the fireman tried to save this guy's life!!! ..."

I've just GOT to say it..

"Just think!! What a WONDERFUL witness this gave to those 'worldly' firemen!!!"

• used2beme
    used2beme

mine was Field Service...well break during, I was taken aside by the PO's wife and told I was doing just enough to make my toddler hate Jehovah and the meetings, and to be even more rude added that I hadn't been to enough meetings to be going out in service...and this was when I was active but due to illness and family issues had missed several in the past few weeks, Why I had been missing meetings was never asked. until this day I had always liked FS, a nice way to get to know others since most of the time you spent collecting 'not at homes'... after that I took the group back to their cars and went home, so much for caring about the ‘flock’.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

I always tried to get on car park duty. The conversations about music, sport and 'worldly' things were far more happifying than the droll adverts for door knocking.

• tenyearsafter
    tenyearsafter

I went to a Memorial about 5 years ago with my "new" non-JW wife because she was curious what it was all about. I was bored to tears, and her only comment was that she just felt like she had "attended a tax seminar"...she felt it the most joyless and mechanical "worship" meeting she had ever seen. I was just glad to get out of there!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit