what was the worst meeting you ever attended ?

by man in black 52 Replies latest jw experiences

• mrquik
    mrquik

Back in 1968 I was a teenager driving mom & my siblings to Sunday meeting. There was a dead skunk in the road & I was sure I could straddle it. Instead I hit the thing dead on. The whole car & everyone in it stunk. Mom insisted we continue on to the meeting. Even though we sat in the back, the whole hall reeked. We got dirty looks for 2 hrs. It took a while to live that one down.

• Pika_Chu
    Pika_Chu

Any one where they bashed science repeatedly...big peeve for me.

• Hecklerboy
    Hecklerboy

Wow Donny, you handled that better than I could have. I think I would have just stood up, told them it was none of there buisness, and walked out.

I do remember one bookstudy when I was 10 or 11. I wasn't feeling well and my mom made me go anyways. I didn't comment the entire study so the conductor made a point at the end of the study to mention that we had 99% participation. All the while looking straight at me.

What kind of adult ridicules a sick kid in front of everyone.

• Giordano
    Giordano

The worst meeting I went to was the funeral of my mother-in-law, I'd been out for decades and funerals were the only witness event my wife and I attended. Anyway, about 5 minutes was spent on my remarkable mother-in-law then the commercial started. I couldn't take it anymore and walked to the exit, both of the attendents shot me a look to see if anything was wrong I just smiled at them and mimed smoking a cigarette (I don't smoke).

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

We were about the only whites in the congregation. Our overseer was white Polish from England. He had two daughters around my age, Ann and Carol. One night he announced to loud applause that they were leaving school at fourteen to pioneer. I think they were home schooled. In my fantasies, Ann and Carol would be my friends. Later, they stood up and gave testimony about how bad the orange book was for children. It was too simplistic. Rather,one should study some adult book. Rapturous applause. They were married and pregnant in a year.

They lived in the same rental as my aunt and uncle. He would preach and preach. Later, he was a Remant member but he was way too young. They seethed that he was assigned a black congregation. Racist to the core. If Jesus were manifest in you, you would not be racist.

So I stayed in school and graduated to no applause. My parents weren't all bad. The flag salute meant my mom was expelled at fourteen. She was deeply wounded. She had no choice but to suffer. My gm would never stand up to authority. Yet my mom was prepped for slaughter by the Gestapo. The actually role played what to say to the Nazis.

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

I can't think of a specific meeting that sucked any worse than the others. My best friend's funeral talk was maybe the hardest thing I ever sat through but I was a faithful Dub at the time.

• donny
    donny

slimboyfat - donny what a shocker! I would not be cool in that situation.

Hecklerboy - Wow Donny, you handled that better than I could have. I think I would have just stood up, told them it was none of there buisness, and walked out.

Yes, I wanted to be a liitle more rebellious, but I was not ready to rock the boat at that point. It's amazing what we put up with while we were in the org.

Donny

• RULES & REGULATIONS
    RULES & REGULATIONS

The worst meeting I ever attended was a congregation book study at the home of the cheapest brother ever.

He worked second shift so he was never at the book study. His wife had such a fear of him even when he was at work. She couldn't drive,go shopping or talk on the phone when he wasn't home.

They never used their air-conditioner because it cost money. This particular week it was 100 degrees. And inside their home it was even hotter. We could hardly breath. The study conductor asked her kindly if she could turn on the air-conditioner for the full hour so we could cool down. She called her cheap husband at work to see if she could turn the air-conditioner on. He said ''NO''. We said ,''Just turn it on for an hour or so. He'll never know.'' She feared him so much that she refused.

A sister who had asthma fainted and couldn't breath. We took her outside to cool off and washed her face with cold water. Someone took her home to cool off. The sister never came to the book study.

• jam
    jam

My first elder meeting at the Circuit Ass. Talk about the power

struggle. I was looking forward to my first meeting with all

the elders in the Circuit, to see first hand Gods active force

at work. At one point doing the meeting the CO , in A loud

voice, brother do you question my authority. One would

think that you were in business meeting, not A meeting

concern about the sheep, and the needs of the Circuit.

• FirstLastName
    FirstLastName

I count them ALL as bad - but the worst was torward the end of my "JW career", when a brother had a stroke on stage and when the abulance came and the fireman were wheeling him out on the gurney the elders insisted on continuing the meeting and giving talks. I thought it was so inapropriate and I was embarrassed that could not stop the meeting for 10 minutes while the fireman tried to save this guys life !

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit