what was the worst meeting you ever attended ?

by man in black 52 Replies latest jw experiences

• jookbeard
    jookbeard

I really hated the afternoon Sunday meeting, it completely fucked up your day and a 1400 start is of no use to anyone,(I also played soccer every Sunday afternoon) during the times we shared our hall it was often suggested if the cong would like the option of an afternoon meeting it was never voted for and our cong had a morning Sunday meeting since the cong was founded probably before WW2. I was well gone to be able to hear my DAing, but my last book study group was pretty crap as well, I didn't like the study conductor, I didn't like the people whose house it was held in and I didn't like any one in the group.

• bigmac
    bigmac

they were all worst

• Lozhasleft
    Lozhasleft

Mine has to be the one where in a small knit congregation we had just complained to the PO about an elder and MS who took our book study. The elder's wife spent her time whispering and giggling with the MS every week, insisted on sitting with him, working with him in FS and generally brazenly parading her crush. The elder and MS were big mates. Most of the congregation were aware of the problem but afraid to say anything because the PO and elder were very close.

Having being reassured it would be dealt with...the following meeting found us being shunned by the whole body of elders and a 'local needs talk' focused on gossiping about the elders being unacceptable to Jehovah, with pointed looks at our family while it was given. I couldnt believe my eyes and ears and felt the first stirring that this organisation was corrupt.

Loz x

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

It was after I finally fully 'woke up' out of JW cult dreamland. The meetings before, I wasn't totally awake and they were crud.

The last meeting I attended was beyond absolute HELL.

I heard all the propoganda techniques. All the out of context scriptures. All the judgmental insults against other religions. All the lies and crap from the publications. All the adulation for the GB. All the suck ups creeping around the CoBE. It was like my eyes were fully opened. Like that film: 'They Live' and I'd put the sun glasses on.

I wanted a machine gun and a licence to kill!

I couldn't go back to another meeting and didn't..........and never will (unless I'm bribed with a large sum of money or some slag wants to shag me!)

• doofdaddy
    doofdaddy

My worst was at the end at an assembly when one of the "governing body" said we must not think but react. He gave the example of a migrating flock of birds. He said they don't think, they just follow the leader bird, so we must obey every command of the "gov body." I looked to my wife and she just appeared gobsmacked and so disappointed...Our faith had been a sham for all those years.

• Found Sheep
    Found Sheep

The local needs all about ME! They should have just played a tape of my JC. After I left they had a few more I heard about how someone can repent and then later not be repentant?!

• donny
    donny

The worst one for me was a Theocratic Ministry/Service meeting in 1988 when I was asked to attend an impromptu meeting afterwards. As I went into the Kingdom Hall library one of the two elders there stood up and closed the door.

Then he looked at the other brother and said “We’re glad to see you here brother, have a seat.”

After I say down the second elder asked me “We have been made aware of an incident this past Saturday and wondered if you have any comment on it.”

“Incident?,” I replied, “What incident?”

“You don’t recall anything significant happening on Saturday evening?”

In my mind I was thinking about my wife’s employer’s party we had attended and she had gotten a little inebriated but I had not so I was confused as to why they were talking to me and not her. I refused to implicate her in anything so I said “Nothing I can think of.”

Then elder #2 dropped a big surprise. He said “Your wife came to us on Tuesday and said she was very sorry for something she had done and that she had involved me in the process. Does that ring any bell?”

Honestly I was not thinking in the direction they were and I replied “Something she did that was wrong and it involved me? No, I’m very confused at the moment.”

Elder #2 continued “Well brother Donny, she confessed to us that after you returned from the dinner party on Saturday night, that she asked you to perform oral sex on her and you complied.”

I still remember the shock and the silence that followed as I tried to take in what I had just heard and give a reply. My thoughts raced for several seconds as I tried to figure out how to respond knowing that it could affect my standing in the congregation. I finally said “Yes, it happened, but she was the one who requested it.”

Elder #2 then asked “Was it 69?”

I thought I try a bit of humor to diffuse the tension I was feeling so I retorted “No, it was this year, in 88. I was only ten years old in 69.”

Elder #1 replied “You know what we mean!?

“No brothers, it was not 69.”

So they proceeded to give me a private reproof and state that I should avoid unclean practices, especially ones so closely associated with the homosexual community.

As I left I was so angry. First at my wife for not telling me that she had had this crisis if conscience and had told the elders but not me and second for the elders thinking that this was any of their friggin business.

Needless to say we had words of disagreement on the drive home and afterwards.

• WhatWasIThinking
    WhatWasIThinking

The first one I went to. If I hadn't gone to that one I wouldn't have been sucked in.

• nugget
    nugget

it was a book study group funnily enough and hubby was conducting the meeting as the elder who usually did it was away. He had been asked to raise the issue of arranging lifts to the group as a couple of sisters needed to be picked up. He unfortunately said that this was a burden that needed to be shared by the whole group and not just a couple of people. The family of one of the people made a huge fuss stating this was not a burden but a privilege to help one another and he should be ashamed for making these elderly ones feel bad. It was a farce with hysteria and all sorts of nonsense. Believe me it was a burden since one of the sisters saw it as her right to be picked up and her son who hosted the book study group was happy for others to do it all the time.

It later turned out that one of the people who made a fuss was being investigated by the DHSS because my husbands brother had reported him. No one told us that when they moved us to the group. So everyone there was angry with my bol and took it out on us. Another example of how elders make dumb decisions.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

donny what a shocker! I would not be cool in that situation.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit