Best way to step down from being a servant

by RayPublisher 90 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• RayPublisher
    RayPublisher

Hey I'm wondering if anyone can give some good advice on how to step down in the safest way.

I have served as an MS for a number of years, but can't do it anymore. I know too much I want to fade in the future when I get some family things straightened out. . I can't move right now so that's out unfortunately.

What should I tell the body? I've thought about "I have doubts" but a friend said that is the worst thing he ever did when he stepped down. If I just fade they are gonna start asking my wife Qs (which I don't want) and I'm not really a "sick" person either but I could become a little sicker, lol.

Help...

• Lozhasleft
    Lozhasleft

I cant help except to suggest that you have too many demands to commit to your MS responsibilities at present...but there will be many on here I'm sure who can point you in the right directions...

Loz x

• zoiks
    zoiks

Health issues, family issues, family health issues, depression, discouragement- these can all work if you use them correctly. NEVER admit to doubts- that raises too many questions.

Some have used the 1 Tim. 5:8 and 1 Tim. 3:4,5 route- your family is being neglected spiritually and you need to step aside to tend to their needs.

• Pahpa
    Pahpa

RayPublisher

One can insist on important personal matters as a reason to step down.

However, don't be surprised if those in the congregation treat you as a

pariah once the announcement is made that you are no longer being

used in this capacity. The members in your congregation will suspect

the worse and will treat you accordingly.

• RayPublisher
    RayPublisher

Zoiks - Yes I've thought of that one thank you for that. My wife knows I have found major flaws in WT theology but hasn't told anyone- she could "out me" to the elders so I worry about that. She is asleep and defending the WT when we talk, trying to do research on the WT Lib and saying she's not sure if she can stay married to me... So yeah maybe the "marital problems" reason would work- it certainly is true...

• RayPublisher
    RayPublisher

Pahpa - Yeah that's going to be tough but I can handle that since I wanna fade anyway. There are a few close friends I have that won't care...but all the rest of my many "friends" will shriven up I'm ready for that.

• beatthesystem
    beatthesystem

I was in the same situation. I used my wife's pregnancy as an excuse. I told them I had too much work, and with my pregnant wife, I would be too busy to attend to my duties. This was after about 3 months of calculated slacking. I was the accounts servant, and they wanted me to make deposits every week. I started doing it biweekly. I also had my hours in field service drop to well under 10.

BTS

• sir82
    sir82

If your goal is to fade slowly and successfully, you'll need to give an "approved" reason for stepping down. Never under any circumstances mention anything even hinting at "doubts".

Pretty much the only "approved" reasons for stepping down are your own health issues or your family's health issues.

Note that "stress", "exhaustion", "depression", "anxiety" are quite common among JWs and can definitely cause health issues. To the extent that your conscience allows you to use one or more of those reasons, that's probably the least controversial route to take.

• cantleave
    cantleave

I used work and family issues as my excuse for stepping down as an elder.

It worked but I was busted after a year for being somewhat apostate.

• stuckinamovement
    stuckinamovement

Family is the best reason. The elders can't fault you for it. (At least openly) There is scriptural basis for your decision to stand on.

I told them I need to make sure the truth is in each member of my family before I try to teach others the truth from the platform. So far they are learning the truth quite rapidly.

SIAM

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit