Is Satan actually a liar?

by Scooby-Doo 45 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Scooby-Doo
    Scooby-Doo

“YOU positively will not die. For God knows that in the very day of YOUR eating from it YOUR eyes are bound to be opened and YOU are bound to be like God, KNOWING good and bad."

Did Satan actually lie to Eve? I'm not so sure...

First of all, how do we know whether or not he meant she would die instantly or die of old age?

I see that statement as Satan telling Eve that eating the fruit would not result in her immediate death. If somebody told me that i wouldn't die from eating an apple, then i would assume they were telling me that the apple is safe and wouldn't kill me then and there... not that i'll never die. This isn't the best illustration, i know, since Eve was in a very different situation than us. But think about it, what would you say if Satan offered you fruit and then told you, “YOU positively will not die" from eating it?

Can we even begin to understand what he meant by saying “YOU positively will not die."?

Did Eve ever truly 'live' before her eyes were opened and she became like God? To me, it seems like she was just existing in blissful ignorance before Satan came along, that doesn't sound like living to me. In a way, i suppose, it could be said that Eve was never really 'born' until she exercised her right to free will.

This incident has really been the only time (that i could find) where Satan is said to have decieved, or lied to somebody. Most of the time, to me at least, he appears to present his argument and asks you to consider and conform to it.

Obviously, i can't fully understand this situation and my position on it will probably change when i know more. It's hard to study the Bible scriptures on my own when i've only ever used the (extremely biased) literature from the Society.

What do you think about it?

• Murray Smith
    Murray Smith

From the argument you raise I would have to conclude that the only way of knowing for sure if Satan was lying intentionally would be to know Satans mind at the time . . .

Either way . . . his record is no more inglorious than WTBTS

Luvonyall

• wobble
    wobble

What a mythical character is actually thinking, in a story, is difficult to determine, we need the mind of the author here.

The whole Garden of Eden allegory sets up more philosophical and ethical questions than it answers, if indeed it does provide answers to anything.

• Heaven
    Heaven

Scooby-Doo... you have some very valid questions. In addition, Satan didn't know God would kick Adam and Eve out of the Garden of Eden. If they had remained, they would have become gods.

• Murray Smith
    Murray Smith

Allowing for the allegory and remaining within the biblical context . . . JC himself labelled him "a liar when he began and the father of the lie" . . . Is that just his opinion, or could he know something we don't?

Luvonyall

• trevor
    trevor

Satan is the most truthful person in the whole bible fairytale. He is more noble than most of my friends - and a lot more useful to know when I need a favour. I have always found it best to know people in low places. As for the tyrant that ruled Eden - he needs help!

• ProdigalSon
    ProdigalSon

Jesus was speaking to the Pharisees, and he said, "you are from your father the Devil"... and then he said, "that one was a manslayer when he began..."

There isn't a single murder chalked directly up to Satan in the Bible, only Job's ten children are questionable, and Satan had Jehovah's permission to have a natural disaster kill them. Jehovah boasts 2.2 million murders not including the flood, which was approximately another 20 million. The "Father" of the Pharisees was Jehovah. So who was Jesus talking about? Jehovah the Devil, the original liar and manslayer. It's right in the Garden of Eden story plain as day, without even reading it as an allegory.

• tec
    tec

"The serpent deceived me, and I ate."

Its right there, out of Eve's mouth, with no defense from the serpent, himself.

Put just enough truth in your deception (eyes opened, knowing good and evil), and people will believe you. Sound familiar?

Tammy

• ProdigalSon
    ProdigalSon

Then why didn't Eve die that day tec? And please don't give me the thousand years for a day thing made up by some church father in the fourth century claiming to be the Apostle Peter, to address the people who actually were questioning the literalness of Jewish fables..... for all we know, women live longer than men and Eve could have lived to be 1500.....

Serpent- Symbolism

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serpent_%28symbolism%29

Symbolism and Iconography of the Serpent

http://www.bibliotecapleyades.net/sociopolitica/sociopol_brotherhoodsnake08.htm

Symbols- Snake/Serpent

http://symbols.ehibou.com/snake-serpent/

Serpent Cross

http://www.seiyaku.com/customs/crosses/serpent.html

• NikL
    NikL

What always struck me about the story is the TRUTH Satan told. He said their eyes would be opened up and they indeed were.

The only reason they died was they were driven from the garden and weren't able to eat from the tree of life.

Therefore it wasnt eating from the tree that killed them. It was God.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit