Circuit Assembly Lowlights

by Red Piller 36 Replies latest jw experiences

• Bungi Bill
    Bungi Bill

I last attended a Circuit Asssembly back in 1993 - I obviously have not missed anything in the intervening time!

Bill

• TotallyADD
    TotallyADD

Boy! It the WT keeps saying things that a certain movie is bad like Avatar somebody might think they are a cult. Oh wait a minute they are. Totally ADD

• compound complex
    compound complex

Man in Black:

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/life/religion/6777326.html

(regarding so-called link between Hinduism and Avatar)

Morbidzbaby:

Regarding naming names of movies, GB member Guy Pierce was a speaker at our CA when Brokeback Mountain was out and he admonished us to avoid it ...

Why?

CoCo

• Anony Mous
    Anony Mous

There is a shortage of people in the WTBTS and they know it. They are being hollowed out slowly but surely by their own ever changing doctrine. You may have noticed that they started using the word doctrine more referring to themselves as well as friends instead of brothers and sisters which is likewise intentional as unless you're an anointed one, you're no brother of Christ.

Of course they'll take potshots at 2 year old movies and 30 year old technology but hey, that just shows the age and speed of the people in charge. Depending on who's in charge in your area, you may or may not get an answer. Sometimes you have genuine people but most of the time they already know it's too late - once the truth about the organization has been demonstrated to a person it's hard to turn back, the rest just plugs their ears and goes lalalalalalala.

I wonder when they'll start admonishing us to go back to work, get a college degree and donate more money because that's just around the corner to keep the organization viable. They're massively selling off prime real estate around the globe, closing buildings and cutting costs everywhere. They're even piloting lowering requirements for certain positions and instead of using the standing 'monthly order of magazines per family' to a flexible number of magazines per congregation which you should only use what you need for the week thus reducing waste. They're also getting tighter on orders sent out. You can get a maximum of 24 bibles (1 crate) per congregation per month now (before it was 4 crates I believe), a maximum of 1500 tracts etc. etc. - order any more and it won't get tracked into the next month anymore, it just falls off UNLESS you have a special need approved by your secretary and CO. There's arrangements now to send extra special order literature around to other congregations instead of having it laying around and the CO actually gives your lit. servant a slap on the wrist if there is too much inventory. There's a bigger push on getting congregations to put their savings with the WTBTS instead of a local bank, they're even announcing REGULARLY from the platform now on how to buy CO's off-lease cars.

• WhatWasIThinking
    WhatWasIThinking

I remember when Avatar was released in theaters it being specifically mentioned in a talk at my hall. Apparently someone told him about the link between it and Hinduism because he brought it up. He spoke of how in Hinduism an Avatar was a being that descended from heaven and how the movie was about these big beings that lived in the sky and how it was directly based on Hinduism. He must have gotten all his research from the commercials and from the commercials on TV.

SPOILER ALERT IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN IT YET.

I remembered that talk because I sat there thinking whoever came up with the outline, and the brother that gave the talk, are ignorant of current technology. An avatar to most (western) people that do more online than visit the watchtower website is a representation of themselves, like our little pictures when we post or any representation in an online game. Since the movie was about a human controlling an alien body and pretending to be an alien, the title fit more along the online usage than the Hindu usage.

I hadn't seen the movie at the time, but after seeing it I could tell it did have some Hindu influence. But it also seemed to speak out against imperialistic government ideals and the use of military force to supress others for personal gain. Good JWs wouldn't pick up on the Hindu aspects though unless they were familiar with Hinduism before they came into the truth since they wouldn't been researching other religions anyways.

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

I called it first! I started the following discussion when I first saw Avatar. I KNEW the Jdubs would not approve of it.

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/jw/friends/186752/1/Should-a-Christian-see-the-movie-AVATAR

• MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

CA Lowlights usually run from opening song to closing prayer.

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

All hail the FSM I am missing the CA in my area in a few weeks. I don't think I could stomach the drivel anymore.

• EmptyInside
    EmptyInside

A certain District Overseer even told the circuit not to have gym memberships,because you're being conceited and you may be tempted to commit adultery.

Someone told me at their Circuit Assembly,they were counselled against watching "Little Mermaid" and playing space invaders. They really are years behind here.

• man in black
    man in black

CC : thank you for the link, I had no idea !

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit