Present some evidence for evolution...

by Spade 53 Replies latest watchtower bible

• tastyrerun
    tastyrerun

@Quentin

Read it carefully. I didn't say that about God believers, I said it about Creationists. If you accept the evidence of evolution but still believe in a God, you're exempt from the comment I made. There are plenty of god believers who accept the antiquity of man, common descent of all living things, and I wouldn't call them Creationists.

Creationism has three major flavors. There is Young Earth Creationism as espoused by most Adventist and many Baptist and Evangelical sects, Old Earth Creationism as the Watchtower Society teaches, and Intelligent Design Creationism which is a pseudo-scientific propaganda campaign lead by the Discovery Institute. All three flavors are anti-science religious ideologies. People who accept the teachings of these groups are being intentionally misinformed by groups of people who are going out of their way to dupe them. I used to be one of those people so I'm not saying this means the believers are stupid or unreasonable. They are being mislead by people who are intentionally misleading them. The Watchtower Society has adopted the teachings of the ID and Young Earth people whenever it suits them, and used those teachings in their own propaganda efforts.

So, don't think I'm equating belief in God with Creationism. Theism comes in many many many varieties. Most Christian sects accept that the early Genesis part is a myth and evolution is a fact. Creationists are a particular group of people who have adopted a particular literal anti-science philosophy and those people are either misinformed, ignorant, or irrational, even if they sincerely mean well. I do not believe that the leaders of the Creationism movement are sincere seekers of truth, I believe they are sociopathic charlatans incapable of honesty or integrity who are crafting fallacious arguments that look valid to sincere people. I have sympathy for most creationists, I have utter disdain for the religious leaders who publish creationist literature and craft creationist arguments. It is an industry of intentional dishonesty and deception built on the sincere beliefs of decent people.

• JeffT
    JeffT

Spade

The WTBS teaches (or at least used to teach) that Noah did not take a pair of every single type of animal into the ark. He took a pair of each "kind" of animal. I. E. a dog "kind" a "cat" kind etc. After the ark came to rest everything started multiplying again. From the dog "kind" of animal we got wolves, dogs, coyotes, foxes etc. From the cat "kind" of animal we got lions, tigers, leopards, cheetahs, house cats etc.

Sounds an awful lot like evolution to me.

I can't find the reference on line just now, but I will keep looking. Maybe some one here has it.

• Quentin
    Quentin

You are correct Jeff, publications of the 50s, 60s taught the Noah pairs in that manner.

Thank you Ryan for the clarification....I am sometimes quick triggered...

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

they still went down the "kinds" line of reasoning in the new brochures. they started out by saying evolutionists can't define species accurately and then then pages later, in a footnote, mention that "kinds" has no scientific definition.

utterly ridiculous. I kind of have to thank the assholes for those brochures, the idea of teaching that drivel to my kids was the final push out the door. they mentioned something about the wonderful "design" Jeehober gave the arctic seagulls to keep their feet warm whilst standing on ice flows and the like and I said "good thing god had the firesight to design the bird like that if everything was originally in a temperate paradise he intended make worldwide."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit