assemblies; how times have changed

by Evidently Apostate 40 Replies latest jw friends

• Magwitch
    Magwitch

I have posted this picture before of my cousin at a 1958 convention. The look on his face says it all.

• undercover
    undercover
    I remeber when in the early 90's the conventions were somewhat exciting.

I think conventions are exciting to youngsters and people who are new to the whole concept. After you grow up...after you've been there/done that for a decade or so, you realize that it's not exciting; it's dull, repetitive and a waste of a nice weekend.

I remember, as a youngster, the International Conventions that lasted 7 days, 3 long sessions each day. Started early morning, ended at dusk. Breakfast, lunch, dinner served in cafeteria tents. It was exciting because it was new and different. By the time I went to my third one as a late teenager, I dreaded it and hated it, though I wouldn't have admitted it aloud at the time.

The only thing that kept my interest in assemblies and conventions as a teen and young adult was the prospect of meeting other young dubs...of the female sex, to be exact. Once I found Mrs. Right and was married, conventions were chores and dreaded.

• Haulin Oats
    Haulin Oats

My dad was responsible for sauces and gravies at the CA. I'd go back and "help" when I was too much of a handful for my mom in the auditorium. So me and a buddy would raid the stockroom and pig out. Handfuls of bacon bits were a common occurrence. So was powdered cocoa. Then I discovered girls and didn't want to do anything that might hinder me cruising around and scoping for legs. I will say that being a JW was great for a leg guy like me.

• nugget
    nugget

It seems to me that assemblies have become pared down to cut costs. It must have been expensive to hire catering equipment and get food vouchers printed. It may also have been costly to source the food although I'm sure somewhere they were turning a profit.

Now the only volunteering for the masses is attending (brothers only) and cleaning the toilets. Everyone is expected to sit in seats and listen to talks which have also been cut down to remove all illustrations and flair.

It seems to me everything is designed to be a pennance and a test of endurance I can honestly say after I had the children I hated them. I hated the way my children were expected to sit still all day with no appreciation of how hard this was for them. I hated the intolerance of the ubber dubs who didn't like the fact that children got tired anf fidgetty. At least they could sit in the car for a couple of years until the society decided everyone had to go by coach. Again ensuring everyone was there for the whole day and no early escapes and the only seats were in the stands.

soon everyone will have to wear hair shirts and whip themselves daily.

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

The Assemblies are pure torture for kids, that picture posted by Magwitch does tell whats it like for children to sit

through grueling hours of staid boring bullshit, most of which you didn't or couldn't understand.

I don't know if assemblies still start in the mornings and end right through until the evening.

But holy shit that was a long time to sit, while being a kid.

I thinks thats why I purposely sat away from my parents as soon as I could so I could walk around or go outside for some fresh air.

Starting at the age of 12 or 13 I volunteered in the kitchen, making donuts and other cooking duties for the lunch and supper meals.

The best part of the Assembly was when the sessions were over and everyone anticipated eating cheap delicious food afterward.

What a relief.

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

Apparently now they don't want people even going out of the Assembly facility to go for meals.

Imagine sitting for that length of time and wanting or needing to walk around and get some fresh air,

instead you are asked to stay in your seat and eat a pre-packaged meal that you brought with you.......sick

Insidious amount of power and control when you really think about it.

• tracylee
    tracylee

I miss the cheese danishes. I used to eat so many of those I threw up.

The worst part about the assemblies and conventions though was that I had to endure them TWICE over. I was dragged to the regular assemblies, and then later dragged to the Korean-speaking assemblies. That's borderline child abuse, LOL!

• SouthCentral
    SouthCentral

I drove 50 miles to an assembly in Woodland Hills, California. We were there 15 minutes early. The parking was so bad we that the entire lot was full. We were forced to park on the street. We literally could NOT find a spot on Ventura Blvd for at least 1/2 a mile. We just drove to breakfast, went shopping and stole an idiots parking spot that foolishly left for lunch.

• SouthCentral
    SouthCentral

The theocratic direction now is to keep you suit on for 16 hours during conventions.......NOT!!! I change immediately after on the only day (Sunday) that I go. I refuse to make a vacation out of the District convention.

I also refuse to stay at their crummy hotel. I go where I get free points...Hilton or Marriot ONLY. Not very theocratic....but we smell good and sleep well AWAY from the J-Dubs.......

Funny thing is, the J-Dub hotel sells out quickly, so everyone says that the J-W Hotel had no rooms so they had to stay at the Hilton like me.....lol

• seenitall
    seenitall

ASSemblies indeed. Our poor, tired rear ends. Bad seats, some with no backs, some with no AC, some outside in humid or even wet weather. The minute they are done what a relief and no one remembers or even cares what was said. Entertain us with dramas with stupid humor and worship of the visiting big shots. The made up experiences and now re-inactments. Fighting for parking places, waiting in restroom lines and then having to wear lapel cards to eat afterwards. Who can make up such stuff? Give us a break. At least they now record a CD and give it out (on a checkout basis) to the old folks that can't attend. There should be live webinars from a center location with only the best speaker. Treating us like stupid grade school educated dummies. We need to release a new publication, "Assemblies (Conventions) for JW Dummies". It would be the all time best seller. No more need for KM inserts on reserving rooms, proper attire, food to bring, conduct, etc.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit