assemblies; how times have changed

by Evidently Apostate 40 Replies latest jw friends

• Evidently Apostate
    Evidently Apostate

my wife mentioned our circuit assembly was this weekend, she looked at me and i let out a chuckle and said "the kids are too sick right?" (they weren't) but it was what she wanted to hear, an excuse from me to blow it off. It got us thinking about how they were kind of tolerable when we were younger.

Meals with ice cream, lots of volunteering to get you out of your seat.

there was more room at past assemblies. now its overflowing due to merging.

AC!. cheap bastards let it get to 88% then tease you for a half hour.

lousy parking, but i wasnt driving then. anyway glad they make it easy for us

• Evidently Apostate
    Evidently Apostate

then: hanging out with friends in the corridor

now: realizing they are not really our friends

• Lunatic Faith
    Lunatic Faith

I'm glad you guys seem to be in this together. I remember ice cream at assemblies! My dad was always strict so I stayed in the seat no matter what--so nothings changed for me.

I was giving a massage to a sister in a nearby hall yesterday. She asked what convention me and my hubby are going to. We have decided not to go this year. So I told her we were going to a different one than her, that way if word gets around, nobody will miss us. Ahhh, the things we do to be subtle...

• itsbeenalongtime
    itsbeenalongtime

Its hard living a lie...I cant wait for when i dont have too!!

• d
    d

I know I wento to my last assembly in 2008.Times have changed and not for the better

• factfinder
    factfinder

I liked the food they used to have at the conventions. In 1978 we had soy burgers. Anyone remember that? I liked them! But I must have been the only one-they did not seem to last long.

The grapes were a help when sitting in that hot sun.

I always looked forward to getting new books. I'd see other people with them who got to the bookroom before me, carrying their copies and I'd try to see what they looked like. I could not wait for the closing prayer to be offer so I could get my copies of new publications.

I loved the food we used to get at circiut assemblies- pies, cakes, steak sandwiches, subs, turkey sandwiches, pudding cups, danish,etc! And they were cheap back then!

Of course for me the tone of the CAs and conventions changed in the late 80's forward and I ended up feeling discouraged and down, not encouraged.

The last ones I attended were in 2000. Yes, things have changed. But I did enjoy conventions and assemblies back from 1977-83. After that, not so much as the years went on.

• pbrow
    pbrow

I loved vanilla pudding!!

What about the tickets? They were like gold!

pbrow

• villabolo
    villabolo

Factfinder:

"I liked the food they used to have at the conventions. I liked the food they used to have at the conventions. In 1978 we had soy burgers."

In the mid 1970s they had fresh squeezed orange juice, with the oranges cut to order!

Villabolo

• factfinder
    factfinder

Conventions and assemblies back then were so much more enjoyable than the boring, cut and dried versions they became. Little by little they took away the elements that made the convention something enjoyable- The good food!

• Listener
    Listener

We didn't have so much variety in Australia but there were always hot donuts.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit