assemblies; how times have changed

by Evidently Apostate 40 Replies latest jw friends

• jookbeard
    jookbeard

my and my sister were at the International Convention at Wembley in 1969 I was 3 and she was 1

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Alfred - "About 50 hamburgers later, the elder in charge of the food service walked over to my conveyor and jumped all over me for using "common sense" rather than following the official "theocratic instructions" on hamburger preparation lovingly provided of the Society."

ROTFLMFAO!!!

Theocratic hamburgers...

Uber-theocratic cheeseburgers...

• Mr. Falcon
    Mr. Falcon

"theocratic instructions" on hamburger preparation lovingly provided of the Society.

I hate how JWs attach terms like "loving" and "theocratic" to everything, so it automatically can't be challenged. Any resentment or dissatisfaction with said "loving" provisions is then seen as you being "ungrateful." Infuriating.

• sherah
    sherah

The best part of the DC's was the food. Food service got you out of sitting in those hot azz seat and in the AC all day. It was a sad day when they 'simplified' things.

• FirstLastName
    FirstLastName

Assemblies were a mixed bag. You looked forward to them as JW because then you would get to see people in other congregations, and when your entire world is limited to the 80 or so people in your hall - THAT was an exciting thing. You got to wear your favorite dresses, and walk around finding friends. I remember telling my parents that I needed to being my binoculars so I could see the stage better and I spend the better part of the afternoon scanning all the people in the seats. Our assembly was at the Cow Palace in San Francisco and I spend hours staring at the ceiling looking at all the flags.

On the down side - they were hideously boring. I once for repremanded by my mom for writing everything the speaker said in my note book - - just so I would NOT fall asleep.

I remember the protestors we had some years at the assembly and I though that was the most interesting thing I had ever seen.

• mouthy
    mouthy

Yes I picketed there for years LOL

• FirstLastName
    FirstLastName

Mouthy - that is fantastic ! LOL

I never forget one year, we walked to the McDonalds down the street from the convention site and there was a car covered in leaflets and flyers that said " Help for gay Jehovah's Witnesses !" and I was shocked ! I remember all those things and not a thing said on the podium....rather telling.

• factfinder
    factfinder

@mouthy- I was so indocrinated back then that I never paid any attention to the "apostates". If you were at a convention I went to I doubt I would have listened to you. But I wish you were and that I had! You would have saved me from so many wasted years!

I hope someone did listen to you!

• mouthy
    mouthy

One did!! that I know of.He evens post here sometimes

• d
    d

Wow. I remeber when in the early 90's the conventions were somewhat exciting. I was only a child then it was around 19994-1995.But by 2004-2005 conventions became dull for me.The Witnesses seemed nicer when I was child today not so much. I guess too many of them are having doubts and just are going through the motions.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit