New 'light' or flip flop on wild beast/image of the wild beast

by Anony Mous 23 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• agonus
    agonus

Like a coin Krazy-glued to a table to make it stand on its side, I cannot make heads or tails of it.

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

Desirous is correct .....

Wild beast is the political part of this world ...

Image of the wild beast is the UN ...

But the Society talks about the UN less and less at time goes on.

Rub a Dub

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

RubaDub - "... the Society talks about the UN less and less at time goes on."

Must be awkward when you're stuck with an End-Times script that has powerless or nonexistant bad guys.

• Sapphy
    Sapphy

Wild beast, Image of the Wild beast, scarlett coloured wild beast. Stars fall from the heavens, sea turns to blood, baby eating dragon.

Someone had a doozy of a nightmare.

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

Wild Beast = political systems

Image = UN

This has been the official doctrine for as long as I can remember. The problem is the publications are nowhere near consistent in saying so. They often equate the two or flip them around. But officially, the above is the doctrine.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

WT 10/1/2005: “The wild beast and its image” are symbols of human rulership, which does not acknowledge Jehovah’s sovereignty.

World governments cannot reasonably be expected to acknowledge the sovereignty of a kingdom and/or ruler who has not shown up.

W

• Mr. Falcon
    Mr. Falcon

hmmm.... this is an interesting topic. It's seemed to me lately (maybe just to me) that there has been very little UN-bashing in talks and recent articles. I remember growing up and it was just on and on about how evil the UN and a bunch of sinisterly drawn monsters representing the UN. Now I honestly can't remember the last time that I heard a single reference towards the UN.

Strange.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Mr.Falcon - "this is an interesting topic. It's seemed to me lately (maybe just to me) that there has been very little UN-bashing in talks and recent articles. I remember growing up and it was just on and on about how evil the UN and a bunch of sinisterly drawn monsters representing the UN. Now I honestly can't remember the last time that I heard a single reference towards the UN."

It's not just you.

The anti-UN rhetoric has trickled away since the early 90s, for several reasons. The Soviet Union had suddenly collapsed, and the WTS was left with the uncomfortable question of who the "King of the North" was (he has not been recast). Then, they acquired NGO status for whatever misguided reason, and were thusly required to publish relatively positive material regarding the UN until the Guardian newspaper exposed that little embarassment. We studied the revised Revelation Climax book one last time about 5ish years ago, but since then, nothing.

These days, the suggestion that the UN would try to "destroy Babylon the Great" would be laughed at; the secretary-general and security council barely have the clout to enforce even the mildest of resolutions, let alone wage (and win) a global campaign against organized religion, not to mention that the US - one of the most religious countries on the planet - would have veto power over any such action.

The idea actually has its origins in mid-20th-Century Right Wing conspiracy theory*; back when Millerite-at-heart Fred Franz was crafting the WTS's eschatology, the concept was a bit more respectable among the various apocalyptic millenialist groups (there was a lot more cross-pollinization of ideas between them all back then).

These days, though, the UN World Government/NWO thing is pretty much relegated to fans of the Left Behind series or Alex Jones' PrisonPlanet website, which (in and of itself) goes a long way to explaining why the WTS might not want to associate itself with the idea very much anymore.

Needless to say, however, the WTS is now stuck with an End-Times script containing powerless or unknown/nonexistent Bad Guys.

* The American Right Wing has always been suspicious of the UN; many of the Charter's original draftees were Europeans with Soviet connections.

• Mr. Falcon
    Mr. Falcon

Vidiot, thank you for explaining that. Wow, this only serves to confirm the pointlessness of the WTBS teachings. Just making shat up now as we go along now. We might as well be proclaiming judgment against the forces of Mordor.

My Lord, even now the King of the North marches towards Brooklyn....

• TweetieBird
    TweetieBird

The UN bashing decreased once the WTS became an NGO. I thought they would have gone back to bashing them again when they disassociated themselves from it, but don't know since I don't read any of their literature anymore. I would guess that if they don't talk about the UN it's because they don't want people digging into their own past association with them.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit