EarthQuake Japan

by watson 63 Replies latest jw friends

• palmtree67
    palmtree67

I don't know if I can post this properly.

Translation: A panda is scared of the earthquake in Japan and hugs a police.

We can't forget that humans are not the only ones affected.

http://www.lapatilla.com/site/2011/03/12/oso-panda-asustado-por-el-terremoto-en-japon-foto/#

• flipper
    flipper

How sad all this destruction is in Japan ! Just a few days ago I was listening to a science program on-line and it stated 2 solar flairs shot out from the sun on March 9th & 10th and penetrated the earths outer atmosphere. I wonder if the electromagnetic vibrations or effects of that happening kicked off the tectonic plates in the earths crust under Japan ? The program I listened to said it's VERY rare for these solar flares to reach that close to earths atmosphere. The sun has been having wacky solar flares and activity in the last several months. It will be interesting to see if more earthquakes come due to something happening with the sun possibly

• poopsiecakes
    poopsiecakes

looks like that nuclear power plant is in meltdown mode...

• VampireDCLXV
    VampireDCLXV

Golly... the last thing we need is another Chernobyl.

V665V665

• Beware of false prophets
    Beware of false prophets

I watched something (probably the very first episode of The Universe Season 1 actually) about solar cycles once. We're due for heightened solar activity, so it's nothing surprizing - we just have more technology that's affected by it to worry about now. I wonder if there is any link between the movement of the plates and the solar activity. I'll have to look into that one.

http://science.nasa.gov/science-news/science-at-nasa/2006/10may_longrange/

• villabolo
    villabolo

V665: "Golly... the last thing we need is another Chernobyl. "

Western style nuclear reactors are much safer than Chernobyl, although not disaster proof. A complete meltdown will be nasty for the local area but it should not spread out and into the wind like Chernobyl.

Villabolo

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

The program I listened to said it's VERY rare for these solar flares to reach that close to earths atmosphere.

A rather dishonest and illogical statement to make since the earth is millions of years old.

Does this person have scientific proof to back up what he is saying or is he just overtly sensationalizing his

ideas ? People will say stupid things at times preconceiving that it will attract a level of attention , look what the WTS.

has done in its life time.

• moshe
    moshe

It appears these are GE style BWR- boiling water reactors- they operate at lower pressures and temperatures than Westinghouse style high pressure steam generator types. They use hydrogen gas to cool the windings of the generators, so I think that system must have failed and that is what caused the explosion at the plant. They do have a system (if it hasn't been knocked out) to flood the reactor water with a chemical that helps kill the nuclear fission- of course that would be a last resort plan. However, a 40 year old plant is very old and the steel reactor containment shell has been shown to get brittle after so many years of atomic bombardment and the heat/cool shutdowns. The danger is a complete steel rupture of the containment building and the boiling away of all the cooling water ( w/radiation release) - the odds look less than 50% to me that they can avert a meltdwon.

-comments based on Moshe's work inside nuclear reator containment buildings and in a similar GE BWR plant commisioned in 1969.

• GLTirebiter
    GLTirebiter

From what I read (on NHK's English news site), they lost the back-up generators for the coolant pumps on two different reactors, and tsunami damage prevented using mobile emergency generators to restore cooling. They are pumping seawater to cool the reactors, but major damage has already occurred.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

God I can almost predict the introduction at the Public Talk tomorrow - Armageddon is just around the corner

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit