Longtime lurker - first post

by applehippie 55 Replies latest jw friends

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

Welcome applehippie!

I go to my husband's church sometimes, but often I feel I will never be a member. I just don't feel like I belong in Heaven. I am very Earthbound.

This is something that took a long time to get my head around - what the Bible teaches about believers' destinies - is it 'heaven' versus 'earth'? The idea that can be hard to shake off is that there are two classes of Christian believers. There aren't.

Although different churches can give different slants to this, a mainstream Christian view is that 'going to heaven when you die' is only the intermediate state where one awaits the resurrection of the physical body. It's a temporary state, not the eternal state. There is, after all, going to be a 'new earth.'

I hope that makes you feel a little more comfortable.

• Lunatic Faith
    Lunatic Faith

AnnOMaly--Very interesting. I didn't know that. I have heard that is what will happen after the rapture. I'm thinking about reading the Left Behind series, just for the hell of it.

• wasblind
    wasblind

Welcome Applehippie,

it's a pleasure to have you here, and I like the part where you said : "Over the years we have truly grown together thru some really rough times. I wouldn't trade him for the world "

that's really refreshing to hear because there are so many couples that have become casualties of the WTS.

• snowbird
    snowbird

Welcome, AppleHippie.

I like that name.

Even though I've left the JW's, I still have faith in the God of the Bible, also.

I now believe that Jesus of Nazareth and the Father are both coming to Earth to live among us.

My hope is that this will be very soon.

It's so good to hear your positive voice.

May you be blessed.

Syl

• Desilusionnee
    Desilusionnee

Welcome AppleHippie,

Nice to have you here!

Desi

• VampireDCLXV
    VampireDCLXV

I bid you welcome applehippie,

I and many others here understand the challenges of being a born-in. It's hard thing to deal with when your "bubble" has been popped and there's no going back. Of course you feel lost and confused and not knowing what to believe. When I joined here, I stated that I still believe in God but not on speaking terms. I still don't quite know what to say to him. I'm not sure what role God has played in human history either, only that the universe is too complex for me to believe that everything arose from blind chance.

Beware that this board appears to be overrun with atheists and they and will not welcome any outright attack of their viewpoint without repercussions. It's amazing how the JW organization manufactures so many atheists right in their midst; the only thing needed to make them turn to apostasy and atheism is a flip of the switch. You do well to have a live-and-let-live approach to things that you do. Don't let anyone bully you into believing what you don't want to or are not able to believe. A few here will say that it'll only be a matter of time before you believe as they do. There are at least a few of us here who are a testament to the contrary. In any case, stay true to yourself...

V665V665

• Reopened Mind
    Reopened Mind

Hello Applehippie and welcome to the forum. Did I see correctly that you registered in Jan. '06 and just now made your first post? I found this site and others in Jan '07 after reading an article in our local paper on JWs and blood. I thought I was a longtime lurker before I signed up last year.

Though not a born-in like yourself I too thought the kingdom hall and being a good witness was a protection. In pioneer school we were told that married sisters had three layers of protection---our husband, Jesus, and Jehovah. Now I see this "protection" is like the fox guarding the hen house. I personally did not experience physical abuse from my husband. However because of his ADD, PTSD, and frequent bouts of depression he was very moody and prone to making rash decisions. He eventually sought help and we now have an enviable marriage. On the 23rd of this month we will be celebrating our 37th anniversary. I cannot imagine life without him and am glad we made it through the tough times. He is the poster on this board known as TotallyADD. Like Flipper I too am curious who your husband is on this board.

Reopened Mind

• Truth and Justice
    Truth and Justice

Hi Applehippie,

Nice to meet you! I certainly have very similar emotions that you feel as well. I still have half the family still in, but my parents and me have been out since the mid 1980's. What help me to get out was seeing how the Bible was being manipulated or changed to suit whatever they wanted for a doctorine, and Jesus not getting the Honor he deserved. Their idea that reading the Bible without the aid of their publications was not approved. I was very disappointed in the way the sheep were being beaten and scattered. Well, I don't have to deal with it any more.

Since being out, I still consider myself a Christain, that is to the best of my ability. What I feel strengthens me is that I pray regularly because I feel I need direction in these uncertain times and I read my Bible on a regular basis. I read it by itself without any constraints or publications to help interpret it for me. In this way I block all teachings and start fresh with a new understanding and I have felt more invigorated and a stronger endurance. I too, feel that my future will be on the earth to care for the people, to teach, build or to organize projects, whatever the 'Creator" decides for me. In recent years, I have seen clues or hints that the other half of my family that are still in are getting worn out and tired, and are understanding our position now. There is always hope and I never lose it.

In conclusion, I found this very thought in my personal Bible reading which certainly gives a true meaning to what has happened in the organization and why it continues to fade without Jehovah's Spirit. Here is the quote:

"Here I am against the prophets of false dreams," is the utterance of Jehovah, "who relate them and cause my people to wander about because of their falsehoods and because of their boasting." "But I myself did not send them or command them. So they will by no means benefit this people," is the utterance of Jehovah.

Applehippie, hope to hear from you again!

Happy Trails, Truth and Justice

• Listener
    Listener

Welcome Applehippie. It is great to hear how you have overcome many hurdles and have a happy marriage. Sounds like you lead a very interesting and fulfilling life.

• applehippie
    applehippie

Thank you all for so many kind encouraging words. I have seen a general postive change of tone on this forum compared to when I first registered. It is much more focused on encouragement and the pursuit of the facts, and the voice of reason. It was a really scary place before. Part of that is because I was afraid of what I would see but also because the change is real. I know who to read, and who to pass by. I'm not interested in bashing, I'm trying to find my way to doing my best to live up to my personal dedication to Jehovah, and accepting the value of Jesus sacrifice. I was baptised at 14 after careful thought. I resisted doing when my friends did it and even when my sister who was younger than I did it. I meant it then and still mean it, but that was when the vow was different.

I enjoy the sermons by the Pastor at my husband's church. He puts a lot of thought into what he teaches and it's refreshing to hear the same familiar scriptures presented with a new perspective that still rings true. Wow, a breath of fresh air, and something new to learn.

My mental blocks in order of importance are Hell and eternal torment, the trinity and the cross. I'm pretty much over the fact that maybe he was hung on a cross. It's certainly possible. But I can't see wearing it, and loving it. It is what it is, a physical object. It's what Jesus did for us that counts.

Whoops, just looked at the time- gotta get dressed and out to church.

Thanks again for the warm welcome.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit