Longtime lurker - first post

by applehippie 55 Replies latest jw friends

• applehippie
    applehippie

Been listening for quite a while to the many conversations found here on this forum. I'm a good listener as my friends will tell you.

I am a born in JW, inactive for at least 2 years now. I originally joined this forum to find out what my husband was "up to". He was very angry and hurt with organization and put me and our family through a lot of heartache. However, I now think it was one of the things that aided him on his journey and his growth to the man he is now. Many of you became his good friend. Even tho' he is not active on the board these days I'm sure he has not been forgotten. I still have a need for some anonimity so I don't want to say who he is just yet.

It's taken me longer to get to the point of posting because my experience has not been catastrophic or terrible for most of my life as a JW. I would have said I had a very good life. Perhaps as I've come to learn, I had very good parents. Particularly my father. He was a very intelligent man, validictorian of his High School but never went to college. (My nephew was also validictorian of HIS class and did go to college) He passed on a love of reading and learning. We read everything- the Bible was exciting when he read aloud. So was Winnie the Pooh, Wind in the Willows, and the Hobbit. I read all the OZ books, Narnia and Lord of the Rings. I had no idea ever that I shouldn't read certain things. At the same time I tried to study for the meetings. I always answered and did well in my assignments. I enjoyed the "deep" studies more than anything else. I liked having a reputation for giving comments that weren't just reading out of the paragraph.

For me, the problems began after I got married because my husband and I had some really serious problems. I was very naive and always thought the Kingdom Hall and being a good Witness was a protection. I had no exposure to domestic violence. I admit I was kind of a "princess". I thought if I asked for help it would get fixed. Hmmm. I was told to go home and be a better wife. I tried but eventually I decided that I needed more help and ended up going to the "worldly authorities" which didn't go over well but got the results we needed. Over the years we have truly grown together thru some really rough times. I wouldn't trade him for the world.

I'm not a black/white, cut and dried, judgemental person. My "worldly" best friend says I am the most free thinking liberal witness she's ever known. I don't know about that- I just think if I let you think what you want, you should let me think what I want without trying to change me. I'm open for discussion- but no coersion. What's fair for you is fair for me. Live and let live. Come to find out- if I really said all the things I think and believe at the Kingdom Hall I might not be accepted as kindly, but I'd been one who just minds her own business and doesn't yak a lot. Perhaps a bit oblivious. That's gotten harder as time goes on. Things really started to bother me a few years ago with "rules" (like the study article on Weddings- really?) and emphasis on the Governing Body to the point of being uneasy as to what life in the New System was really going to like with the brothers in charge. I noticed being passed over for comments and wondered why. Maybe I should just stick with the paragraph? Not very challenging.

Anyway, this first post could get overlong if I don't stop now. I have a bunch of questions that I'm curious about and haven't turned up just by poking around and reading. I'll get to them. This is just "hello".

• beksbks
    beksbks

Hello Apple!! Nice to meet you. You didn't quite say, do you think the organization is "the truth"?

• beksbks
    beksbks

Also, Friday night is one of the least active times on the forum. The weekend in general is less active, but it starts to pick up over Sunday afternoon and in to the week. You won't be neglected

• satinka
    satinka

Hi and Welcome Applehippie!

I thought if I asked for help it would get fixed. Hmmm. I was told to go home and be a better wife.

Yours is a common story coming from sisters. I was told that as well---must be the standard answer when sisters complain about conditions on the home front. It is belittling to have our feelings negated; in fact it feels more like blame instead of support, doesn't it?

Glad to have you with us, sista!

satinka

• applehippie
    applehippie

beksbks- These days I honestly don't know what to think. It's been really bad the last couple months. I believe the Bible. I believe Jesus came to save us. I've always felt good about our Father Jehovah. I believe he's been good to me. But I've learned that's not much different from what's taught in many churches by Bible believing folk. I go to my husband's church sometimes, but often I feel I will never be a member. I just don't feel like I belong in Heaven. I am very Earthbound. I "trained" for a productive life here. I'm a herb gardener, love animals and have raised rabbits, goats and chickens. I sew, spin and knit. I renovate old houses. Heaven- not so much. I read COC and ISOCF both. I found out that very likely the WT articles I had read and enjoyed the most and retain the best were most likely written by R. Franz. My whole worldview is upside down. I have no footing anymore. I missed my first Memorial last year. I pray and think a lot.

• flipper
    flipper

APPLEHIPPIE- Glad to have you here on the board ! Very interesting first thread & post ! now you have my curiosity up on who your husband was and or is still I imagine ! LOL ! I'll be a good boy and not venture any guesses though ! But I'm happy you're here and once you feel like asking questions - feel free to fire away ! Lots of informed and empathetic people here that will listen and give good answers. Very good listeners here as well. Take care of yourself, and a big Peace out, Mr. Flipper to you !

• Quandry
    Quandry

Things really started to bother me a few years ago with "rules" (like the study article on Weddings- really?)

Welcome. Glad you and your husband are on the same page now.

I've been "out" for about six years now. A whole study on wedding rules? Like what?

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

Welcome to JWN! Can't wait to hear more of your story.

I was told to go home and be a better wife. I tried but eventually I decided that I needed more help and ended up going to the "worldly authorities" which didn't go over well but got the results we needed.

You're preaching to the choir, sister! LOL, lots of us former battered wives dancing around here.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

Welcome to the forum, applehippie.

It sounds like you have gotten off lightly, as I have, but for different reasons.

Long may that continue.

Cheers

Chris

• Murray Smith
    Murray Smith

Greetings applehippie and welcome . . . your open, inquiring mind coupled with a modicum of caution puts you in good stead here . . . lot's of variety of expression and opinion . . . and threaded through it a kind of commonality which paints a fairly accurate picture over time . . . also a wonderful "hotline" to some valuable information as you've probably already found . . . look forward to hearing your perspective further in coming days

Again . . . welcome

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit