"Who else are we to go away to?"

by simon17 70 Replies latest watchtower bible

• wobble
    wobble

I have to, with a shamed face, admit to using those words "But where shall I go ?" some years ago. The final part of Peter's words rang in my ears "you have the sayings of everlasting life" , and my cult-controlled mind translated that as meaning the WT organization had such sayings.

Since my journey away from the cult, I have come to appreciate the many wonderful aspects of many religions and spiritual systems.

I am not a "believer " in the sense of following any one of these, I am a secular humanist , but almost all alternatives to JW's , leaving aside similar cults, seem to me to have more to offer, so even the "I am happy with it, even if wrong" type of JW is missing out by staying.

I think the short answer is, start the journey, get out, do not worry what the "destination" may be, wherever and whatever it turns out to be, it will be a better place.

• nugget
    nugget

It says who as in a person. If the organisation fails the who i.e. Jesus still remains. If they feel the need to worship then they can get closer to Jesus without the watchtower placing endless barriers in the way.

• PublishingCult
    PublishingCult

I got past the whole "If the JW's don't have the truth, then who does?" excuse for not having the balls to leave when I decided that it didn't matter whether I ever found a religion that taught the truth.

It was enough for me to know and just accept that they do not have the truth. Not ever knowing the truth was far better than believing lies and fairytales.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

If my house was on fire I wouldn't wait for another to come on the market before I ran like merry hell. Same thing. There doesn't HAVE to be somewhere alternative to go. I don't have to swap one ritual for another. 'Nowhere' is better that in an Antichrist pyramid big business cult posing as a religion.

I don't want hope that is just a delusion. I prefer harsh reality!!

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

If there is no better place to go..........why leave if the (wrong) policies of WT are not affecting you adversely?

It promotes living a moral lifestyle which protects against many harmful things. Better to raise a child with some moral training than to see them go wild and screw up their life in a bad way that has long term consequences.

It promotes love of God and neighbor. You may not agree with every doctrine, but you won't find any other religion that you agree with 100% either. (Thus the question....where else or who else?)

It provides a good social network of other (mostly) good people. Would you rather your kids pick up their future marriage mate in a club?

Yeah, there are issues of concern, but anyone can choose to ignore most of the issues that they find disagreement with --

College (just go!)

Door-to-door (just don't go!)

Blood transfusion (what are the odds that it will ever be an issue for you? IF it is, follow your own personal decision -- discreetly.)

Baptism, esp of infants (Just say NO!)

OK, so you can't walk the mics? Who cares?

On the other hand, if you're tired of your husband/wife and don't have their "grounds" to divorce, you're screwed.

If you want to live the wild life, then this religion really is NOT for you. Do you're thing until you settle down. Age has a way of making us face our immortality and act our age.

[Just thinking out loud here, and I know if you've been treated badly by the bOrg, you won't be agreeable to this idea AT ALL! Thanks for listening. It's not a discussion one can have with the elders or their die-hard Jdub friends.]

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

The witlesses keep asking "Where else are we to go to". However, the Bible says "To whom shall we go".

This makes a big difference, because you can find the souce of this wisdom by reading the source itself, no matter where you are. You are looking for the Bible, just read the Bible and just the Bible and you will find the same source no matter where.

• PublishingCult
    PublishingCult

bookmark

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

I thought the scripture this relates to pointed to Jesus as the 'whom'.

Not a man made organization.

• keyser soze
    keyser soze

I've always been puzzled by this analogy. The JWs either have the truth or they don't. Whether or not it exists elswhere is beside the point.

I once responded to an elder on a shepherding call with this analogy: If you're on a sinking ship, and there are no life rafts available, it doesn't change the fact that the ship is still sinking.

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

I was asked that by my JW parents. My answer:

FREEDOM

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit