"Who else are we to go away to?"

by simon17 70 Replies latest watchtower bible

• simon17
    simon17

To the intellectually honest witness, it seems like it often comes down to this principle. "Fine, if the Witnesses aren't the truth, then show me the better answer and I'll consider it." And how do you deal with that? People who have given their entire life to a concept that from the inside can look and feel wonderful. So try to top everlasting life, seeing all your dead loved ones, realizing all your hopes and dreams, with a personal panda to pet to boot. I've been hit with this, and guess what, I can't top that. I can't even come close. Here's my best offer: you'll die in this system. the world is unfair. The starving kids in Africa have one shitty chance, and this is it. You'll never find out why you're here.

Yes, sir, The witnesses live on a crutch and at the end of the day, for many of them, is the only way to take it away is to replace it with another. And since I don't have a better answer, I dont think I can reach anyone that means anything to me.

Just feeling sad... Its lonely to choose the option: "there are no good answers" and being alone in doing it but knowing its right...

• JRK
    JRK

How big does the Lie have to be before it is not "The Truth." Anywhere is better than that.

JK

• heathen
    heathen

when it comes to religion especially , most people are living a lie . It's obvious that most religions are way beyond logic or reason. Not just in WT land. It's pretty obvious that the sayings of life have not been proven for any religion , since they deny spirit inspiration they can't claim to know who gets saved around here.

• TheJigsUp
    TheJigsUp

my truth is, there is a hope, i believe that but i dont know what it is. i have a faith in something i have absolutely no understanding in.

i dont even understand what happened last week, tho i can read about it all over the internet and in newspapers, so having any real understanding from ancient texts is beyond me.

so now i just settle in the fact that i know nothing, and im willing to admit that.

and that is a very lonely place, but i feel it is an epiphany in itself to be able to admit such a thing and to come to such a conclusion.

but of course if i were a follower i would have the privilege of others telling me what i know from what they suppose.

but it seems to me that you and i know more than they do in knowing that we know nothing.

and yeh its lonely.

cos everyone else seems to either know something, or they know everything.

it seems to me that knowing nothing is an incredibly difficult thing for believers and non believers to grasp.

believers believe that they know about their god and their future, while non believers believe they know about their history.

but as far as i can see none of us truly know anything about fk all except our own immediate surroundings,

and truth be told, we often know very little about that either.

but to know and admit that is another matter. and i feel a step in the right direction

but i dont know what that direction is.

its a lonely one tho.

• heathen
    heathen

I know that religion is a snare and a racket . Perhaps the wisest thing anybody ever said about it .

• InterestedOne
    InterestedOne

My JW friend has said, "even if they're wrong, I would still want to be part of this organization."

• palmtree67
    palmtree67

Why do you have to go away to something else?

That argument always smacks of "The grass is always greener....." to me.

• doofdaddy
    doofdaddy

That throw away line about "showing me a better truth" is actually dripping with selfishness and laziness. It comes from the angle that what do I get out of it, rather than an actual search for the (elusive) truth. Should truth always be "good?" Should it be easy as studying the the jws? Should we attempt to use moral terms like good news to explain unfolding truth? Does it take real effort to find? And really what are we searching for and do we really want to know the truth?

• Glander
    Glander

My JW friend has said, "even if they're wrong, I would still want to be part of this organization."

That is a very interesting viewpoint. This friend sounds like a perfect Jehovah's Witness. I wish I could be content with what is put before me but i cannot seem to close down my brain enough.

• TheJigsUp
    TheJigsUp

@GLANDER i reckon with enough barbituates you could have a fighting chance

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit