why, what made you join JWs?

by tosko 38 Replies latest jw experiences

• Adonai438
    Adonai438

I joined because I loved God but was Bible illiterate. I was a teenager with relatives in the Org. and figured their church was as good as any. No one at the time could explain to me why they were wrong so I ignored the 'it's a cult' warnings. After a year of 'studying' to be baptised I made some friends that showed me parts of the Bible I think the JWs either avoid or don't know exist And after much study and prayer realised that the WT was VERY Misled (or lying) and I left it to become a christian. <>< ANgie

• WildHorses
    WildHorses

gullibility, stupidity,loneliness, etc

Lilacs

I don't want someone in my life I can live with. I want someone in my life I can't live without.
  • Nat
    Nat

It was all I ever knew. I can remember learning the books of the bible from a pioneer brother and sister before ever starting preschool. To this day, 35 years later, I can name them off! Humm.. They ingrain it in you, don't they!

Ya know, when you're a child, your mother is the word. Or mine was, anyway. I thought she walked on water. My dad wasn't a j.w.

My my, how time changes things.............................

• Carmel
    Carmel

I suckled from the foul breasts of fanaticism. My parents fell for the pitch of Rutherford's minions before I was a twinkle in my pappy's eye.

carm

• closer2fine
    closer2fine

Born-in.

Baptized at 13 (peer pressure)

Faded away.

Family still in.

closer

Solid stone is just sand and water, baby
    Sand and water, and a million years gone by - beth nielsen chapman

• KissAFish
    KissAFish

I was BORN into HUGLEY FANATICAL JWS.. * my mum breathed fire while preaching!!* My Dad was an elder for years...and yet I can never remember believing a word of it all..I wrote chrissy cards to all my school friends* hehehe*...I left in 1992 at age 17..and never looked back..even when my Dad phoned me to say my Mum was diagnosed with terminal myeloma ( cancer) and it was my fault and my brothers for leaving the BORG.. She died as a feverent JW with the words.".Please come back... You will be Satan's fodder otherwise* rolling my eyes*..." my Dad remarried 4 months after my Mums death.... to a fellow JW (?) and I have 2 sisters still in the religion, one is divorcing her hubby (bitterly..going after every cent..urged on by elders and fellow JWS ).. because he "fell away" in other words found the courage to leave and question the religion,my other sister carries on her own secret rebellion by asking ex family members to take her clubbing and she has meetings via the phone line...(?)..But she is till doing the JW thing otherwise.. Me... I am a free spirit who has an answer for every JW coming my way..

"Two roads diverged in a wood, and --
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference. "
    Robert Frost

• gotcha
    gotcha

mom was used to be a catholic (blind believer) always had nightmares and stuff...she felt like being bothered by evil spirits/demons...someone offered bs (bib study) she got into it, after than whenever she had nightmares just called on the name jehovah and everything went fine..
    so obviously she got us into it, claims that jws are right coz she had been to other churches and evil spirits/demons do not stop bothering here until now...and of course everlasting life in paradise on earth did it..
    i once believed that everything they said made sense..i still think that other teachings do make sense but hate how the system works..unfortunately i am still in..with no hopes of getting out...

• LB
    LB

I'm a stupid stupid stupid man. New to the area, first decent people I met were witnesses. All the warning flags were up yet I ignored them because I was enjoying myself, at first......

Soon as I got baptized it was amazing how quickly things changed.

Never Squat With Yer Spurs On

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Birthed in and assimilated.

• TR
    TR

My brother joined, had great respect for him, so I delved into it. He was lured by his future wife out in F.S. Brazen Hussey!

TR

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
    --Benjamin Franklin, 1759

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit