why, what made you join JWs?

by tosko 38 Replies latest jw experiences

• tosko
    tosko

I would like some brief stories of people saying the reasons they joined JW organisation. Where you already in another Church, were you disillusioned, were you Biblically illiterate? And if it is possible, please let me know where you come from, hoping you're not all from USA.
    Thanks in advance
    T

• target
    target

I was disillusioned with my Lutheran religion. My husband was Catholic. After he was through Viet Nam we had a lot of questions and wanted to understand the Bible. The Witnesses claimed to have that understanding. It was the idea of a Paradise in the very near future that got me hooked. That was 30 years ago.

Target

• nelly136
    nelly136

spawned in,
    nelly

uk here

• Gopher
    Gopher

Same as Nelly. Parents were/are loyal dubs.

I was baptized at 16, at the time thoroughly convinced that JW's had all the answers. Oh did I get baptized at the same time one of my sister's cute friends did? Just a coincidence.

GopherWhy shouldn't truth be stranger than fiction? Fiction, after all, has to make sense.
    Mark Twain (1835-1910)

• betweenworlds
    betweenworlds

Ditto, was 3 when my mom started studying, had no choice in the matter.

Everything secret degenerates, even the administration of justice; nothing is safe that does not show how it can bear discussion and publicity. Lord Acton 1834-1902

• sadiejive
    sadiejive

Everything they said (at the time) made sense. They were able to explain things to me in a way that no one ever had before (especially the events of the books of Daniel and Revelation). It didn't occur to me that just because it made sense and sounded right didn't mean that it was. And yes, I was very bible illiterate. I couldn't tell them why I believed any of the things I believed....or maybe I could, but their arguments were more convincing.

The Paradise Earth hooked me, as well...and the no hell. The thought of going to heaven was never to appealing to me...always sounded sort of boring (no offense). And after years of hearing fire and brimstone preached at you with fury, the idea that there was no punishment except annihilation for the wicked sounded pretty good. Also, the fact that the JWs use a ton of scripture to support their beliefs, where as at your average church sermon the pastor/priest may use 2-3 (if that), was impressive as well.

sadie

• jukief
    jukief

I was born into it; so was my father. His parents converted (they were Lutheran) shortly after their 12-year-old daughter died. Someone caught them at a vulnerable time and started talking about the resurrection.

My mother converted at age 17. Ironically, I think what drew her to the religion was the resurrection hope, too. At that age, both her parents and one sister were already dead. Also, her mother had been a 7th Day Adventist, and I think the familiarity of the JW teachings might have influenced her. She says she had been actively searching for the "truth" when the dubs found her.

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

Popping out my mummy's tummy...

People living in glass paradigms shouldn't throw stones...

• ashitaka
    ashitaka

My parents made me....what made them? Mass delusion? The 70's? My father's penchant for self-destruction?

ashi

• bigfloppydog
    bigfloppydog

When I was little, grade one, I lived with my grandparents, because my parents divorced. Well my grandparents were JW's they where loving and kind, so I had the beginning of the teaching. Got older teenager, mom remarried went to live with her and step-dad. Things got ugly, family problems etc. I got married then found the truth again, was in it for long time, then things started being ugly again things I saw and heard, just didn't add up. I've only been out few years, but glad that I'm out never to go back, no regrets. I just guess I got depressed and run down, and no one to help me. My hubby was never a JW neither were my children. Maybe I just couldn't handle the load anymore. I'm just glad I am no part of that anymore. Life goes on.
    I have many friends now, but when in the Org. felt I had nobody, so my life has changed for the better.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit