Did you "make the Truth your own"?

by Mr. Falcon 42 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Mr. Falcon
  • Crank!!!
    Crank!!!

I always hated that song!!!

And to answer your question..........No!

• Mr. Falcon
    Mr. Falcon

Crap on a playing card! I hit the wrong button!

Anywho, I was wondering how many people here, regardless of age, at some point in their JW "career" did what is so often referred to as "making the Truth your own."

I've been thinking about this lately, and about my own "dedication". I can honestly say that I never personally dedicated myself to God, I only got baptized because of pressure from my family and being ignorant to the way that life actually works. I avoided doing bad things, not out of some feeling that I'm "sinning" but more out of a fear of getting in trouble. I only ever did all the crazy JW appointed stuff because I thought that it would make my family respect me (didn't work). So even when I was being a die-hard JW, I think deep down I never really accepted or believed in JW doctrine and practices. I just did it because that's what I was taught to do. Obey.

Anybody else dig what I'm saying?

• Yan Bibiyan
    Yan Bibiyan

Hmmm...I was promised by my study conductor that when I "make the truth my own" a lot will change and I will be in a better place, or some garbage along the lines...

Well, we never lived to se the day....(and we are still alive )

• Heaven
    Heaven

In normal terms, yes. In WT$ terms, no. By the time I hit my teens, this was my reaction to the Craptower the JW religion (as well as all religion and the Bible) -- followed by . Another reaction was this:

I never got dunked, put my plan together for my life, and I bugged out to go to College as soon as I graduated high school.

Obviously, I would have made a very 'weak' witness.

I think I am one of the lucky ones because my Father wasn't really into any sort of religion when I was a kid. He curtailed my Mom's KH activities. He felt her priority was at home raising their children. Yay, Dad! His life was uber busy as he really had 2 jobs. I think my parents knew there were issues with it but had bought into the ultimate threat and lie of 'get baptized or risk your eternal salvation'. After my Dad retired, things weren't going well for him and that's when he got sucked in. Sigh. It's been a tough haul since then.

Don't let your wishes separate you from the truth.

• Mr. Falcon
    Mr. Falcon

Babiyan - ahhh, the ol' "when you become a JW life will be FANTASTIC" sales pitch. Good to see you managed to keep your head together in the end.

Heaven - Sorry about your old man. I guess he ran as long as he can but they finally caught him. Those JWs are resiliant, I'll give them that. I did get "dunked" but for me it was just another meaningless JW ritual. I never privately dedicated my life to God or solemnly swore to be His "Witness".

Unfortunately, at the time, I was too young to realize all the serious implications that go along with that ritual. If I had known that I would have ran like I stole something.

"Mr. Falcon, aren't you gonna stay for the baptism talk?"

"Ummm, I think I left something in my car....."

• Honesty
    Honesty

Yes, I did make the truth my own.

But it didn't happen until AFTER I rejected God's channel the faithless and diseased slobberers. hehe

Jesus told him, “I am the way, the truth, and the life.

John 14:6

• Morbidzbaby
    Morbidzbaby

Nope...NEVAAAH!!

But seriously, though... I, too, never made a personal dedication. Heck, when I got baptised I had already quit praying a long time before that. I was just going through the motions and doing what I was told was required of me. I thought getting baptised would make it all better. I'd finally earn some respect in the congregation instead of just being "the girl with the unbelieving father".

And thanks alot Falcon...now that damn song is in my head!!! Quick!! Play some metal, dammit!!

• Heaven
    Heaven

Unfortunately, at the time, I was too young to realize all the serious implications that go along with that ritual. If I had known that I would have ran like I stole something.

It is tough when you are too young being pushed to do something like getting baptized. My Mom always kept to the belief that Christ was the example and he was an adult before he got baptized. She felt we had to be of a mature, adult mind-set before making such a serious commitment. I love her for that (and many other things).

• Mr. Falcon
    Mr. Falcon

Morbidzbaby, sorry. here....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit