Literature-Leaving Etiquette

by zoiks 25 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• zoiks
    zoiks

I have asked my friend to just throw it all away so that it's not in circulation. She knows my story and will gladly oblige. They probably won't give anyone a hard time, being a local small business and trying to act in a socially acceptable manner (something that not everyone feels the need to do, apparently ).

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere

Unbelievable.

But completely believable - all at the same time.

-Aude.

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

As long as they bought a reasonable amount of wine, I'm sure they will be invited back again. It's all about the cash.

Rub a Dub

• blondie
    blondie

Sounds pretty bizarre for jws even.....

• Open mind
    Open mind

zoiks: "the vineyard hosted an anniversary party for a my-gosh-they-are-so-young-for-having-been-married-for-so-long couple. "

I'm a little confused as to what group the clandestine JWs are likely connected with.

Do you think the anniversary couple were JWs? Some/all of their friends? Employees of the catering company? (If one was used)

Just curious.

And yes, no matter who it was, it sounds bizarre and tacky even by JW standards.

om

• highdose
    highdose

i would have told them to come and pick up their litter, but i would have made sure the mags etc were nicely crumpled up so that they couldn't use them on their FS again.

Theres a 2nd hand book shop near me that has the odd JW book, normaly priced about 5 euros, i always wonder where they get them from?

• zoiks
    zoiks

Open Mind- sorry for the lack of clarity in my opening statement; my attempts at humor fall flat sometimes! A group of JWs hired this vineyard to host an anniversary party in their tasting room. A very nice venue. My reference to their age is a toung-in-cheek allusion to the very very young age at which many JWs in my area get married. Often a 20th anniversary is celebrated before the couple hits 40. The vineyard staff took note at how young this couple is.

So it was an all-JW event (I know this particular group quite well, or did) at a worldy establishment, and someone felt the need to place literature.

• wasblind
    wasblind

Worldly people find it rather bizzare that JW's can celebrate wedding anniversaries

but are forbidden to celebrate their births

• Open mind
    Open mind

Thanks for the clarification zoiks.

Remember how JWs are encouraged to have literature available no matter where they find themselves? I remember one elder always had a "New World" tract tucked away in his wallet "just in case".

Anyway, I'll bet there was at least one pioneer in the ranks with a box full of literature in the trunk just waiting for such an occasion. The more I think about it, perhaps the angels directed them to do it, so we shouldn't be too critical.

om

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

The witlesses think anything that will get the littera-trash in people's hands is acceptable. Never mind that it is going to end up in the garbage after one page (or part of one page) is read, or they are going to research the religion before going any farther (which I would recommend).

And some of these things are downright rude or tacky. Leaving a waste of paper for a tip is quite rude--especially if service was within acceptable standards. Those waitresses work hard for their tips--they might have 6 or 7 tables (or more) to wait on, with customers wanting orders in all directions at the same time. Coffee or water refills, their check at one table is ready for delivery, another table ready to take their order, another ready to pay for their check--it is very stressful. Bad enough that the money is worth so little these days, but it will still buy a sheet of toilet paper (or, if you get a wad of it, a little silver or gold that will hold its value).

Additionally, the IRS assumes that waitresses are going to get tipped at least 8% of the check. Anything less, the IRS is going to harass them. They are expected to report at least that much for their income taxes, and if they get stiffed or tipped with a waste of paper, they are going to lose money. The IRS agents do not give a fxxx that they had a group of Jehovah's Witlesses--they are still going to assume they got at least 8% of the checks as tips. Many other industries have employees that rely on tips for income--and those pieces of paper that have denominations on them and come from the Federal Reserve (whatever it is in your country) are what they count as money. Other money that is real money is gold and silver. They might also accept tips added to the check, or agree to split a lottery ticket, or some other favor that actually has real value. But a waste of paper is not good enough.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit