Literature-Leaving Etiquette

by zoiks 25 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman

When my father died, my JW ex and I were separated, but not yet divorced. I had been inactive for several years and she was aware that I had severe doubts about the organization. When the wake was held, she walked into the funeral home and proceeded to leave "Hope for the Dead" tracts around the room. She then began to berate me because I hadn't, as my father's only natural child, overridden my 4 step-siblings and insisted that a JW elder conduct the funeral. My father was nominally Protestant, and almost never went to church - not even Christmas and Easter. He was pretty liberal-minded when it came to religious beliefs, but disliked the JW's because they had sucked me into their cult when I was a teenager. I could easily have imagined him rising from his casket to object if his funeral were conducted by a JW. I tried to explain this to her, but of course, it was all about securing an infomercial for the Watchtower. When she wouldn't relent, I suggested that if anything ever happened to her, I'd make sure to get a Baptist minister to conduct her funeral. She eventually got huffy and stormed out of the building - a relief to all present.

I tell this story to point out that brainwashed JW's have no sense of propriety whatsoever when it comes to promoting their cult. Parties, funerals, whatever - it's all just another opportunity to get some brownie points with Jehovah.

• Listener
    Listener

Proper etiquette would be to ask for permission to leave the material and this is what I had been told by JWs. The reasoning was that it is a sign of respect to the owner.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Witnesses aren't the only ones. Those chicklet tracts are left in a similar fashion. Witnesses believe you should suffer to learn. Something more accessible to people and perkier could be written.

• wobble
    wobble

They have no etiquette on leaving literture, or forcing it on people, my mother was just too slow to shove a tract in to the hand of a guy who had just lost hiswife the day before, I was glad she didn't manage it.

Do you really want something like that when you have lost the love of your life ?

They have no compassion or empathy, it is simply about appearing to be a "Good Jehovah's Witness" (oxymoron)

• lovelylil
    lovelylil

They must be being pushed real hard to unload more of their WT crap because recently, I was in the local drugstore looking for some cold medicine for my son when I spotted several WT mags just placed on the shelves. I had never seen this before. I mean, its not like they spoke to anyone in the store, they just placed it on the shelf between the store items.

I grabbed all the ones I found and on the way out threw them into the trash can where they belong. I didn't want the poor kid who worked in the store to have to stay after searching for these mags to dump. I did it for him. Peace, Lilly

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

The weirdest place I have seen literature is stuck in the lever of a urinal in a men's restroom. After finishing my necessary business, I reached to flush and noticed that there was a brochure lodged in the handle. I noticed that someone came in and place a brochure at all the urinals and toilets.

Even if I was interested, I am not sure I would touch the literature. I also noticed that the literature was in spanish.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit