Don't you DARE to get up!!

by stillin9 50 Replies latest jw experiences

• Little Imp
    Little Imp

I agree that it is not normal or natural to make children sit through the meetings without a break, but it is not healthy for adults to do it either.

If you were employed somewhere and had to sit for two hours without going to the toilet or get a cup of tea the company would be in trouble. I know some people probably say that they do do this which is fine if they choose to but a company cannot make someone do it. When I worked at a computer we were encouraged to take breaks from the screen every 15 or 20 minutes for health reasons.

Furthermore, I always got up and went to the toilet in the song to stretch my legs and free off the pain from sitting as I have had many problems and operations on my hips. I also had to eat a banana in the toilet so as not feel nauseous for the rest of the meeting as I am on strong painkillers which effect my stomach.

In the end, we used to go home after the first meeting which made life a lot easier and was the start of our fade.

I recently had to attend a Speed Awareness course which was due to last four hours. During this time we were given two breaks with cups of tea and biscuits etc.

Apparently the human brain concentrates best in 20 minute intervals so when studying for my exams I used to take a break every 20 minutes which did improve concentration and retentive memory.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Little Imp - "Apparently the human brain concentrates best in 20 minute intervals so when studying for my exams I used to take a break every 20 minutes which did improve concentration and retentive memory."

I remember reading that; what's more, it took what seemed like forever for the WTS to even hint at something like this (they did, eventually, and - it seemed - grudgingly).

One of the epic fails of JW policy is its near-obsessive refusal to acknowledge the validity of any information coming from outside the WT's hermetic seal (and its kneejerk pejorative dismissal of it as "worldy wisdom"), until said validity is so painfully obvious that any R&Fers look like complete idiots for not having acknowledged it.

Although, I suppose that in the Information Age, GB2.0 is feeling so literally bombarded with "worldy wisdom" that effectively refutes their ideology that they can't help but have a bunker mentality.

• Little Imp
    Little Imp

Vidiot

Perhaps the difference is between studying and brainwashing.

Studying - take breaks at 20 minute intervals

Brainwashing - lecture as long as possible without breaks

• MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

May as well just strap the kids to one of these:

• saltyoldlady
    saltyoldlady

Way back when.......I remember the days when we had a break between the Public Talk and the WTS - it actually was very nice - people stood up - talked to one another - circled around the hall and met newcomers, welcomed one another, caught up on each other's lives - then we were ready to sit for another hour - all happy and interested. Everybody sang the songs - mothers and children were not accused of showing irreverence for taking their children to the restrooms because ample time was provided. The removal of that break was to me one of the first negative "improvements" being made - maybe the beginning of today's rapid fire changes. I had the feeling then the change was made because they witnessed too many leaving after the Public Talk and not staying on for the WT study. It occurred to me then and I was very new at the time that pressure tactics were being used. The fact that one could leave quietly after the Public Talk was a good thing - especially if we brought a new Bible Student who just wasn't ready for WT Study idea yet.

And re singing the songs I was constantly amazed at how many did know the songs by heart - riding the bus to the convention as a group it seemed to me almost everyone could sing most of the popular tunes by heart - all FOUR stanzas too - and the group I was with were great at harmonizing - no professional recordings needed. I never was one of those so not blowing my own horn here. But being able to sing in a prison camp would be very strengthening - witness Paul's resorting to that. Of course these also were the days when we had a "live" pianist at the hall - the loss of that took something out of the meeting too as I remember. Standardization - yes - more professional maybe - though we had some pretty good musicians in this area. And the local orchestra group that met to prepare for conventions was a beautiful socialization activity that was removed by the standardization. That change brought a sadness of heart to those few also.

Get an old person started and they never shut up - LOL - but have to relay another funny experience I remember also - in one Kingdom Hall I attended for a few years out in the boondocks our water was supplied by our own private well. In the mid summer it dried up. So guess what - no one had to make bathroom breaks, no one ever had an inconvenience due to that, that I remember, and all the children remained in their seats with us for the whole two hours. That was usually the case for about two months - July and August. Also we didn't have to clean up the restrooms those months - Hurray! And yes we did have an outhouse out back but I don't recall anyone ever using it. If someone did you knew it was a REAL emergency.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

The joys of going to a kingdom hall...not!

• stillin9
    stillin9

Thanks all for the comments!

@ Little Imp, Your post just reminded, what if someone needs to get up because of health reasons? That also is probably looked down upon!

I noticed that ironically, I am the WT reader for this Sunday's meeting! Better go prepare well! At least I'll be standing while reading!

• aSphereisnotaCircle
    aSphereisnotaCircle

If I, or one of my kids needed to get up, I would always try to do it during the meetings, never during the song.

Cause they were constantly harping on people using the song as break time.

Looking back, I now realize it was a small act of rebellion on my part, and passive agressive.

Sometimes passive agressive is all you got.

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

If I, or one of my kids needed to get up, I would always try to do it during the meetings, never during the song.

Cause they were constantly harping on people using the song as break time.

That is so funny. I did the same thing! I thought I was being original!

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers
    No it is not normall for meetings to have pauses every 45 min or so. Elders meetings can go 2-3 hours with nothing breaking it up. Stupid kids... Suck it up! How u gonna survive great tribulation if u cant sit for a few hours?? Jehovah is giving you a million dollars, sorry , i mean everlasting life in a panda petting paradise!!! Sitting through a few boring meeting a few times a week, along with a few hours of FS a week, and a little bit of ostrisium from peers is nothing... Get over it, cry babies.

LOL, Elderelite! At the risk of stating the obvious...if the Watchtower gave a damn about little kids, it wouldn't insist on group meetings, but instead have age appropriate classes.

Brainwashing - lecture as long as possible without breaks.

My thoughts exactly!

Way back when.......I remember the days when we had a break between the Public Talk and the WTS

Was that when smoking was still permitted?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit